• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2025 schools rowing

it's_marvellous2024

Bob McCowan (2)
On the topic of Grammar:

A factor I haven't seen discussed is the introduction of Director Steve Stewart and the overhaul of much of the coaching staff. Could this mean a rebuilding of the program and grammar being a genuine competitor in the next few years - like Dan Noonan did to the Riverview program? Time will tell.

Wiz
G'day Wiz,

From what I've heard Grammar's long-standing coaches are being phased out in favour of technical masters hailing from a wide array of rowing backgrounds - some GPS schools and others from clubs.

The new director marks a fresh slate for traditionally unimpressive Grammar results, and I have faith that they can push hard for the podium in 2025.

Edging out Scots and Newington will undoubtedly boost the incentives for boys to train and hopefully turn around the defeatist mindset that began to creep into the shed from 2013-2023.

Grammar boys have done it (more than most schools) and will soon do it again I'm sure.

Stay marvellous

CheekyHooker

Allen Oxlade (6)
G'day Wiz,

From what I've heard Grammar's long-standing coaches are being phased out in favour of technical masters hailing from a wide array of rowing backgrounds - some GPS schools and others from clubs.

The new director marks a fresh slate for traditionally unimpressive Grammar results, and I have faith that they can push hard for the podium in 2025.

Edging out Scots and Newington will undoubtedly boost the incentives for boys to train and hopefully turn around the defeatist mindset that began to creep into the shed from 2013-2023.

Grammar boys have done it (more than most schools) and will soon do it again I'm sure.

Stay marvellous
Marvellous,

Any idea on who some of the top Grammar rowers will be moving into the 2025 season and are any knocking on the doorstep of the GPS VIII? I am keen to see how they perform in the upcoming season with this new motivation.

- Cheeky

Electorate 12

Bob McCowan (2)
Marvellous,

Any idea on who some of the top Grammar rowers will be moving into the 2025 season and are any knocking on the doorstep of the GPS VIII? I am keen to see how they perform in the upcoming season with this new motivation.

- Cheeky
Not quite sure on 'the best' grammar rowers. However recent intel has emerged which suggests their training in SINGLES, PAIRS and big boats out at SRC and other clubs which is going to put them in a prime position for the next season. Not sure about how many of the grammar boys if any will make the GPS crew. Thoughts? I do believe the gym will be vital similarly to SBHS to put on some extra size.

wisemaan

Herbert Moran (7)
Not quite sure on 'the best' grammar rowers. However recent intel has emerged which suggests their training in SINGLES, PAIRS and big boats out at SRC and other clubs which is going to put them in a prime position for the next season. Not sure about how many of the grammar boys if any will make the GPS crew. Thoughts? I do believe the gym will be vital similarly to SBHS to put on some extra size.
They may be doing off- season sculling over at SRC but I don't see this putting them in front of other crews due to the vast majority of schools doing winter rowing. In reality it will just keep them up to speed, despite this I do believe Grammer has a shot this year after their surprising HOTR result with the upset of beating Newington, who looked to be a solid crew.

Strongly agree with the gym aspect though, @Electorate 12 to bulk these boys up for the up-coming season like the other respective AAGPS schools. Nonetheless only time will tell...

Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

-wisemaan

Electorate 12

Bob McCowan (2)
They may be doing off- season sculling over at SRC but I don't see this putting them in front of other crews due to the vast majority of schools doing winter rowing. In reality it will just keep them up to speed, despite this I do believe Grammer has a shot this year after their surprising HOTR result with the upset of beating Newington, who looked to be a solid crew.

Strongly agree with the gym aspect though, @Electorate 12 to bulk these boys up for the up-coming season like the other respective AAGPS schools. Nonetheless only time will tell...

-wisemaan
Yes, it would be great to see some pre-covid 2k times as well with all the winter training. I remember the winning times back then being in the 5 40's, now a crew breaking 6 is an achievement. Wisemann, do you think the boys have just gone soft?

CheekyHooker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes, it would be great to see some pre-covid 2k times as well with all the winter training. I remember the winning times back then being in the 5 40's, now a crew breaking 6 is an achievement. Wisemann, do you think the boys have just gone soft?

Morning Rowing Lovers,

Interesting take here @Electorate 12 been thinking about how AAGPS HOTR times have slowed as a whole since Covid-19 came upon us. This is not the boys going soft but just the devastating effects of a global pandemic.
For instance, a field that I have observed a drop in is the Schoolboy 2nd VIII, have a geez at the changes in times over the past 2 years:

2021 HOTR

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 9.49.25 am.png

2023 HOTR

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 9.49.37 am.png

I find it quite remarkable that the division was won with only a 6:09.45 time... Conversely Riverview went sub six in 2023 and even this didn't set the 2nd VIII record.
Despite this, the boys have certainly not gone soft, we have seen the Jo boys row a roaring time of 5:52 and Shore edged Kings to the line who won nationals that year - they definitely had to put themselves in some pain - hats off to the blokes.

- Cheeky

wisemaan

Herbert Moran (7)

I fear they might have. Pre-Covid the standards at AAGPS schools were a lot higher and all had tougher mentalities. I won't write about it now but this is a topic I have a fair bit to touch on. ( Will be posting a longer extensive review on this and a few other this early next week)

- Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

-wisemaan

RememberingNormandy

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm all for the rowing spirit, but could we all agree that SBHS needs to maybe stop the pain year after year?? I mean there is seriously no real legacy, passion or proper intent from the High rowers and I don't think that is the fault of their own but quite possibly the almost saddening coaching SBHS has had over the years. I mean they might make an impact in the 3rd VIII, but they have seriously had no competitiveness in the Major Rennie and they, unfortunately bring down the overall competitive-ness of GPS rowing.
I think its time to end the suffering of SBHS and maybe including a more deserving or passionate school into our amazing GPS.
Just a thought...
Empacher

Personally I would love to see SBHS claiming victory and showing their dominance like they did all those years ago, but I realistically just don't see it happening with the program and the state it is currently at. @keith the bridgekeeper I know sure would love to see their prowess once again as well, however we both support Shore. I'm sure SBHS reign will return soon..

-wisemaan

These are just my personal opinions, observations and information passed through word of mouth.

The High program has long been known for its tragic training program. The nature of the school and its academic priorities have only made this more evident. I am a firm believer that in order for High to compete at a level consistent with the rest of the GPS, a complete reconstruction of the program is needed. What this looks like would be up to High rowers and their MIC to decide.

On the topic of the quality of rowing, particularly the First and Second eight times over the last couple of decades, I think its fair to say that the depth within the GPS comp has declined. Although the times from the HOTR winners have stayed consistent in the mid 5:50s, the rest of the GPS field has seen stark declines in their ability to produce quality crews, namely High, Newington, Grammar and before recently, Joeys.

I think that this decline in the overall quality of the GPS has followed shifts in culture within each school. Even the likes of historic powerhouses like SHORE (new headmaster encouraging basketball over rowing) and KINGS (retention of rowers) suffer from this. Students used to row significantly more compared to now, and less students try the sport. Consequently, sheds have less talent, and less time to develop it.

This is evident within the first eight HOTR times. Before 2010 it was common for multiple crews to break the 6 min barrier, now rarely do more than 2 or 3 crews go sub 6. Right around the late 90s to early 2000s, every school had ergs in the 6:00s, now its news. I think COVID has extended an already existing trend towards the lower quality crews as well.

Waiting on your thoughts Wisemaan, and the rest of the GGR forum.

CheekyHooker

Allen Oxlade (6)
These are just my personal opinions, observations and information passed through word of mouth.

The High program has long been known for its tragic training program. The nature of the school and its academic priorities have only made this more evident. I am a firm believer that in order for High to compete at a level consistent with the rest of the GPS, a complete reconstruction of the program is needed. What this looks like would be up to High rowers and their MIC to decide.

On the topic of the quality of rowing, particularly the First and Second eight times over the last couple of decades, I think its fair to say that the depth within the GPS comp has declined. Although the times from the HOTR winners have stayed consistent in the mid 5:50s, the rest of the GPS field has seen stark declines in their ability to produce quality crews, namely High, Newington, Grammar and before recently, Joeys.

I think that this decline in the overall quality of the GPS has followed shifts in culture within each school. Even the likes of historic powerhouses like SHORE (new headmaster encouraging basketball over rowing) and KINGS (retention of rowers) suffer from this. Students used to row significantly more compared to now, and less students try the sport. Consequently, sheds have less talent, and less time to develop it.

This is evident within the first eight HOTR times. Before 2010 it was common for multiple crews to break the 6 min barrier, now rarely do more than 2 or 3 crews go sub 6. Right around the late 90s to early 2000s, every school had ergs in the 6:00s, now its news. I think COVID has extended an already existing trend towards the lower quality crews as well.

Waiting on your thoughts Wisemaan, and the rest of the GGR forum.
@restarted_persone you couldn't even be more spot on brother,

The decline in GPS rowing is deeply concerning me, especially as there has been a 25 year drought with the Major Rennie at Newington. Last time they won the Second Eight was 2011 and they were close in 2021. Absolute joke in my opinion considering they usually get a few blokes in the GPS VII yearly.

On that Newington note they're choosing to be Co-ed so I doubt the boys from Stanmore will be able to turn it around after that happens. I know they are dominant in basketball, swimming and waterpolo but to be frank who gives a damn about those sports...

On that note I think Shore will make a rowing return in some of the coming years as they have been developing their shed with a possible empacher. View and Kings are thrashing the competition at the moment, some serious rowing depth and talent from both schools and It interests me how dominant they will be moving forward. Will Newington be able to turn it around this season?

Row on,
- Cheeky

Last edited:

RememberingNormandy

Stan Wickham (3)
@CheekyHooker Reckon Newington have what it takes to lift the Rennie in 27, which might be their last chance before turning Co-ed. Their year 9s are a deadly cohort, with potential and talent leagues above the rest. It will come down to the program and the rowers themselves. However, we truly know nothing until the finish of the first 2k race at SIRC.

CheekyHooker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Absolutely @RememberingNormandy

I reckon they got the potential as I potentially recall them winning Riverview Gold Cup in quads 1st to 5th, I've got top secret insider intel of what some training they did was and it ignites me with passion that Newington can be the mongrels from Stanmore like they once were. Once we get them on the concept 2's from some erg measuring we can defiantly see what they are capable of. Great group of young blokes, would love to see them bring a bit of silverware back. May I add, prime Newington from about 1985-1995 and they had a historic rivalry with Kings.

Overall would be astonishing to see one last glorious Rennie title before they enter the uncertainty of Co-education.

- Cheeky

Electorate 12

Bob McCowan (2)
Absolutely @RememberingNormandy

I reckon they got the potential as I potentially recall them winning Riverview Gold Cup in quads 1st to 5th, I've got top secret insider intel of what some training they did was and it ignites me with passion that Newington can be the mongrels from Stanmore like they once were. Once we get them on the concept 2's from some erg measuring we can defiantly see what they are capable of. Great group of young blokes, would love to see them bring a bit of silverware back. May I add, prime Newington from about 1985-1995 and they had a historic rivalry with Kings.

Overall would be astonishing to see one last glorious Rennie title before they enter the uncertainty of Co-education.

- Cheeky
I believe a drought for Newington is definitely viable as they transition their traditional 160+ year old only boys college into one that's co ed. As extensively covered by the news they aim to be equitable and fair.

Cheeky do you think they will have a women's rowing program?

However, if Newington has done it I believe other schools will follow, however many years it takes im not sure. It is impossible to see in what way it will affect the colleges sporting endeavours but surely the reduction in boys will reduce depth, therefore pressure into 1sts and 2nds teams and therefore into premierships for all sports alike. Similarly the presumed doubling of 1sts and 2nds teams with female sporting options will need to pull extraordinarily high funding from the school.

Anyone have any thoughts on Newington's success if they brought in a female rowing program?

Overall, I think the nature of these discussions should shift from Newington and Kings onto the overall performance of the GPS yet each to their own. However on the side of Newington, I think they show promising talent coming through the boatshed and the amount of change happening may just see something unexpected happen. Maybe even some national winning women's crews.

Samuel Loch

Frank Row (1)
Fellas
Most 1st & 2nd VIII blokes back in my days were all pulling roughly six minute ergs - the new generations gone soft. Myself and @Julian Huxley have some things in the works with the 2025 Kings 1st Eight.
Stay tuned for more.
Loch