• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

rapt

Bob McCowan (2)
Norths lower grades (3/4) should be playing sub-districts - Wyatt. Normanby Cup comps. It's as simple as that.
Considering the guys they have playing in 3’s this year, apart from the handful from previous years theres a fair few who were regulars in 2’s you’d assume they would be doing alot better but somethings not gelling there.

Goes against some of what I previously said, but I’ll say that I found as a good example last year the 3rd grade scorelines most weeks didn’t actually represent the quality, more so the mentality. You’d see cricket scores on the board, but for a large part the games were actually competitive, there was a game vs wests, where until 10 mins left it was under a 5 pt game, then they let a try in, heads went and the final 10 minutes was a scoreboard blowout. Away at GPS, on the day a heap of 3rd grade players pulled out or got pulled up into 2’s to cover injuries not long after the 4’s had kicked off, and resulted in a majority of a 4’s team that drew their game, backed up again for 3’s and only lost that 19-0, that said they never should of had 4’s entered last year despite having 60 plus names for both 3rd/4th grade squad on the attendances sheet.

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Considering the guys they have playing in 3’s this year, apart from the handful from previous years theres a fair few who were regulars in 2’s you’d assume they would be doing alot better but somethings not gelling there.

Goes against some of what I previously said, but I’ll say that I found as a good example last year the 3rd grade scorelines most weeks didn’t actually represent the quality, more so the mentality. You’d see cricket scores on the board, but for a large part the games were actually competitive, there was a game vs wests, where until 10 mins left it was under a 5 pt game, then they let a try in, heads went and the final 10 minutes was a scoreboard blowout. Away at GPS, on the day a heap of 3rd grade players pulled out or got pulled up into 2’s to cover injuries not long after the 4’s had kicked off, and resulted in a majority of a 4’s team that drew their game, backed up again for 3’s and only lost that 19-0, that said they never should of had 4’s entered last year despite having 60 plus names for both 3rd/4th grade squad on the attendances sheet.
That's still absurd that a few guys being pulled up to 2s causes every grade below to be undermanned when you have a theoretical pool of 60 to pull from. Was there there a festival that weekend or exams on for students?

rapt

Bob McCowan (2)
That's still absurd that a few guys being pulled up to 2s causes every grade below to be undermanned when you have a theoretical pool of 60 to pull from. Was there there a festival that weekend or exams on for students?
The number is more or less a reflection of the players you see throughout the year and how many disapear or get injured when the going gets tough, or pulled up the grades to cover injuries up there, generally once a player went up you never saw them again

I saw earlier in the thread you looked at the qpr scores etc before joining a club, out of curiosity where did you land?

A good example of a miss by Norths was Jack Brady at UQ, he came to Norths first and had 1 training session where he was put with the lower grades, so did a session with maybe 14 players for 2 teams at that stage of the season, never saw him again and once his arm was right, he was lining up in the UQ prem grade so go figure

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
The number is more or less a reflection of the players you see throughout the year and how many disapear or get injured when the going gets tough, or pulled up the grades to cover injuries up there, generally once a player went up you never saw them again

I saw earlier in the thread you looked at the qpr scores etc before joining a club, out of curiosity where did you land?

A good example of a miss by Norths was Jack Brady at UQ, he came to Norths first and had 1 training session where he was put with the lower grades, so did a session with maybe 14 players for 2 teams at that stage of the season, never saw him again and once his arm was right, he was lining up in the UQ prem grade so go figure
Rather not give the exact club since the Brisbane rugby scene is a disconcertingly small world. But you've probably seen me around in lower grades.

Couldn't bring myself to consider Norths and commit to an uphill battle every saturday morning for 3g or 4g when I had no preexisting ties. Every other club was on even footing but I picked the one closest to my first sharehouse and plan to stick around.

That is peculiar with Brady. I know of a current Sunnybank Prems loose forward that left UQ after featuring in a few games early this season. But his reasons were straightforward since he now starts for Sunnybank instead of benching for UQ.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rather not give the exact club since the Brisbane rugby scene is a disconcertingly small world. But you've probably seen me around in lower grades.

Couldn't bring myself to consider Norths and commit to an uphill battle every saturday morning for 3g or 4g when I had no preexisting ties. Every other club was on even footing but I picked the one closest to my first sharehouse and plan to stick around.

That is peculiar with Brady. I know of a current Sunnybank Prems loose forward that left UQ after featuring in a few games early this season. But his reasons were straightforward since he now starts for Sunnybank instead of benching for UQ.
Also to be fair, he did play 90% of his club footy including juniors for the Bank.

rapt

Bob McCowan (2)
Also to be fair, he did play 90% of his club footy including juniors for the Bank.
Thats generally a good reason to go back.

Different topic, do people think its viable long term having a 5th Grade comp? And do any know if those playing 5ths pay the same in fees as the rest of the grades to have a bye every 2nd week…

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Different topic, do people think its viable long term having a 5th Grade comp? And do any know if those playing 5ths pay the same in fees as the rest of the grades to have a bye every 2nd week…

I think the fee decision is club by club.

I know in the past GPS have done subsidies for teams in small comps or conversely there was a situation where some of the teams had huge squads and the club missed the chance to enter a Colts 2.2 or 5ths 2.0. So they gave those players discounted subs as their game time was being negatively impacted.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

Different topic, do people think it’s viable long term having a 5th Grade comp? And do any know if those playing 5ths pay the same in fees as the rest of the grades to have a bye every 2nd week…

Nearly all clubs can field a fifth grade team - it’s a bit disingenuous to say every 2nd weekend fifth graders are having bye weeks.

Sorry just looked at table and realized there’s No Bond or norths. Still there’s 7 teams.
can’t we bring back Redlands/Logan ti support the coast/norths teams who can’t field a full slate of qpr rugby

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nearly all clubs can field a fifth grade team - it’s a bit disingenuous to say every 2nd weekend fifth graders are having bye weeks.

Sorry just looked at table and realized there’s No Bond or norths. Still there’s 7 teams.
can’t we bring back Redlands/Logan ti support the coast/norths teams who can’t field a full slate of qpr rugby
Or follow the lead of Shute Shield and have only 4 grades of QPR and prop up the subbies comp.

Sure - keep the players in the club house but have those grades play in the Subbies comp with promotion/ relegation or grading trials in pre season.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Or follow the lead of Shute Shield and have only 4 grades of QPR and prop up the subbies comp.

Sure - keep the players in the club house but have those grades play in the Subbies comp with promotion/ relegation or grading trials in pre season.

Queensland rugby would have left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouth with any promotion/relegation when it comes to the days Logan was playing reserve grade.

unsure what transpired behind the scenes but there’s bridges needed to be repaired because of statements made about promotion

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am fairly sure Logan ended up imploding before they could be promoted. I recall something about severe internal issues with the club board.

yep that was probably the case

however there was a press release (as I recall) talking about their promotion the upcoming year.

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)

20-30 extra players paying rego and buying tins/merch/Tigerburgers without any of the extra investment Prems requires seems like it would be an easy sell financially.

More potential points in the Doughty Shield every weekend since 5G counts for that as well.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
you should see some of the “retired” players running around on Friday night in 6th grade.

Albert Anae (former reds) has played for Souths 6th grade

Jono Kent (former premier grade player for GpS/Wests/Brothers) has played for GPS 6th grade this year

I’m sure there some other high profile guys who have played suburban rugby this year - they are just 2 of the names I’ve seen in Normanby cup this year.

the Friday night comp is for tradies and real estate agents who work Saturdays and the pissheads who are hungover Saturday morning… some good talent kicking around who just don’t want to commit to grades on Saturday.

wanted to loop back to this post and mentioned

Friday night 6th grade aSouths had Chris Feauai-Sautia named for them this past weekend.

rapt

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the fee decision is club by club.

I know in the past GPS have done subsidies for teams in small comps or conversely there was a situation where some of the teams had huge squads and the club missed the chance to enter a Colts 2.2 or 5ths 2.0. So they gave those players discounted subs as their game time was being negatively impacted.
I played colts at GPS, was a young fella that didnt train regulary due to work and was happy playing in the Colts 3 culture back then of playing early, bringing out the esky and sinking tins watching the colts boys, reggies and prems, first year of Colts there was 2 teams in the 3’s comp, 2nd year of Colts I lost the love and walked away from rugby for a long time cause there was a stupid amount of players to fit in 1 team and I wanted more than just 1 half of footy to accomodate so many, that and I was’nt a marist/grammar student when it was really clicky back then.
20-30 extra players paying rego and buying tins/merch/Tigerburgers without any of the extra investment Prems requires seems like it would be an easy sell financially.

More potential points in the Doughty Shield every weekend since 5G counts for that as well.
20-30 extra players yes thats always the reason it is viable, but you want to keep these players happy with value for money and not see them walk away etc, some weeks I see there is 3 teams on a “bye”, surely they could doctor up the draw to go against the traditional home/away season for those 3 sides that doesn’t negatively affect the benching ability of their 4th grades

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
I played colts at GPS, was a young fella that didnt train regulary due to work and was happy playing in the Colts 3 culture back then of playing early, bringing out the esky and sinking tins watching the colts boys, reggies and prems, first year of Colts there was 2 teams in the 3’s comp, 2nd year of Colts I lost the love and walked away from rugby for a long time cause there was a stupid amount of players to fit in 1 team and I wanted more than just 1 half of footy to accomodate so many, that and I was’nt a marist/grammar student when it was really clicky back then.

20-30 extra players yes thats always the reason it is viable, but you want to keep these players happy with value for money and not see them walk away etc, some weeks I see there is 3 teams on a “bye”, surely they could doctor up the draw to go against the traditional home/away season for those 3 sides that doesn’t negatively affect the benching ability of their 4th grades
There's sometimes a suburban team or a team from the sunny coast that's keen for a friendly match. Caboolture comes down to Brisbane to play Colts 4/4.5/5. Sunny Coast Brothers and Noosa were both interested in coming down. Or alternatively a large portion will play 6G that friday night. Sometimes it's nice to have a free Saturday not monopolized by rugby even if it's a worse value for the money.

The sort of person put off by that proposition probably isn't playing 5G anyway.