• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well....one of them lives 5 mins from a fellow Div 2 club, played all his junior footy there, to travel 45 mins to Briars for training and games...you tell us...

Im actually not suggesting anything untoward Im just interested what's the connection? A former two Blues coach at Briars? Mates there?

Let The Boys Play.

Frank Row (1)
Funny how when a club starts doing okay we all go on a witch hunt and question the process. Looking at the table they have won only 2 games, 1 being a clearly struggling Shamies.
If anything its great for Div 2 to throw in another competitive club, that's what we are all craving isn't it? If they where running away with the comp then sure thing.
Heavy D i haven't seen them play so maybe im wrong.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Funny how when a club starts doing okay we all go on a witch hunt and question the process. Looking at the table they have won only 2 games, 1 being a clearly struggling Shamies.
If anything its great for Div 2 to throw in another competitive club, that's what we are all craving isn't it? If they where running away with the comp then sure thing.
Heavy D i haven't seen them play so maybe im wrong.
I'm with you. The more competition the better. Was just a simple question as to why players were leaving two Blues and the connection to Briars. No witch hunt, just a question out of interest.

CrashBandicoot

Frank Row (1)
Epping fielded 3 grades at Porters and were very competitive. They snatched 4ths and were in both 2s & 3s. A few injuries for the Breakers too at the wrong time leading into the Petersham/St Pats double.

Hornsby girls were red hot. Hornsby are on the up and it looks like good things are happening across that club.

St Pats Colts demolition of UNSW was eye catching. UNSW Colts are very solid so to see that score line sends a warning to others.

Lindfield had a fair day at home along with Forest. Interesting that Blue Mountains have won just one game across all the lowers grades, all be it most have been close losses.
Always a good day down at Porters. Plenty of friendly banter and the odd home town decision going the home sides way. From viewing the 2nd grade game from the sidelines, I can see why Newport 1’s are strong. A lot of good players stuck in 2’s breeds good depth amongst the club.
Any news why the 15 played 2’s this week?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Always a good day down at Porters. Plenty of friendly banter and the odd home town decision going the home sides way. From viewing the 2nd grade game from the sidelines, I can see why Newport 1’s are strong. A lot of good players stuck in 2’s breeds good depth amongst the club.
Any news why the 15 played 2’s this week?
Probaly injuries? No idea TBH

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 1

Colleagues vs Forest: Who would of thought Colleagues would be 0-3 to start the season. They will be desperate for a win and at home will be tested by a rapidly improving Forest. Im going to go with the upset and think the boys in green can prolong their suffering. Forest by 5

Blue Mountains vs Mosman: MOTR top of the table clash, cracker game awaits. I'm going to go another upset here and go with the Whales to not only survive their only annual trip west of North Sydney but come away with the chocolates. Mosman by 3

Waverley vs HH: Another tough encounter with HH not having had the best of starts. Another great game on paper and I think HH will have an edge and another away team tip is locked in. HH by 7

Lindfield vs Drummoyne: Old Soldier gave a good account of themselves against HH last week and expect another improved performance. That said I cant see anything other than a Dirty reds victory after 80 mins. Reds by 10.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4

Redfield v Kings - Battle Of The Old Boys. Could be a good match-up here with Kings riding a high after a close win over Canterbury, and Redfield coming of a battering by Hornsby, and still winless. Going with the visitors.

Wakehurst v Chatswood - bit of a blip for both clubs last week having to forfeit 2nd Grade. Wakehurst keep it simple with a couple of big ball runners doing most of the work and good defensive speed. It'll be close. Backing the home side in a close one.

Canterbury v Hornsby - can't see anything but a win here for the Lions.

Raptors v Renegades - we're scraping for numbers this week with 26 out at last count. Depth will be sorely tested and Raptors will want to give all their blokes a run after their 2s didn't get a game last week.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Im actually not suggesting anything untoward Im just interested what's the connection? A former two Blues coach at Briars? Mates there?
Connection comes through the Briars 7s program. They’ve invested money in it and it is reaping the rewards in their 15s program.
the ex two blues 7s coach is now 7s coach of briars ladies but convinced all those lads to join briars. briars are paying for them all to travel overseas representing briars in 7s comps. they play for briars when not playing 7s. 1 of them is with tonga this week in germany for 7s. the briars mens 7s coach is also one of the selectors, players and trainers for tonga 7s (pakalani)

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 1

Colleagues vs Forest: Who would of thought Colleagues would be 0-3 to start the season. They will be desperate for a win and at home will be tested by a rapidly improving Forest. Im going to go with the upset and think the boys in green can prolong their suffering. Forest by 5
I think they had a similar slow start last year from memory before coming home strong.
Currently sitting 2nd last on the CC table I look forward to the wild rumours of this forum at the back end of the year saying colleagues and there 8 teams should drop to Div 2 next year!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 4

Raptors v Renegades - we're scraping for numbers this week with 26 out at last count. Depth will be sorely tested and Raptors will want to give all their blokes a run after their 2s didn't get a game last week.
Good sign of your depth pfitzy, if you can run 2 sides with 26 out. Good signs for the club in the coming season!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good sign of your depth pfitzy, if you can run 2 sides with 26 out. Good signs for the club in the coming season!

And only a handful of those are injuries.

I've got ~70 registered. Can't wait for the bitching when guys all decide to turn up together and someone doesn't get a run ;)

Feast or famine...

Last edited:

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
the ex two blues 7s coach is now 7s coach of briars ladies but convinced all those lads to join briars. briars are paying for them all to travel overseas representing briars in 7s comps. they play for briars when not playing 7s. 1 of them is with tonga this week in germany for 7s. the briars mens 7s coach is also one of the selectors, players and trainers for tonga 7s (pakalani)
How does that fit into the Subbies amateur rules? Is there a distinction made between 7s and 15s?Just curious, personally I wouldn’t mind the amateur rules being relaxed

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waverley ladies day this weekend! One of the greatest days on the social calendar. Always in awe of the day they put together each year. Always bigger and better
And Waverley have chosen the right club to host against for this round. Looking forward to a great day of Rugby and get to see what type of talent Waverley possess in these lower grades to be putting the sort of scores up they have been.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 tips!

Colleagues vs Forest: This could be the MOTR for mine despite it being a 5v8 game. Both sides showing showing some class, however not having the results to show for it. Forest kept Blueys honest last week and seem to be having a few of those strong colts progressing to strong 1st graders. Colleagues wont be happy with 0-3. I think this one is won with a Penalty after the bell. Home side by 1

Blue Mountains
vs Mosman: Mountains were down a few players last week from the looks of it. Expecting those players to be back on deck this week and a cold Lapstone is a long way from Mosman. Hopefully the Whales will have a bus trip to look forward to after a bit of a battering. Mountains by 10

Waverley vs HH: Heart over head. HH have been playing some good rugby. Last week were fairly dominant against a fairly simple Lindfield game plan. Scoreline only got close after some home ground calls late in the game gifted Lindfield some time in the 22. Waverley have a good squad and structure acvross the park. The festivities will distract the Waverley lads, HH to sneak home late. HH by 3

Lindfield vs Drummoyne: Old Soldier wont be able to keep up with the skill and flair of Drummoyne this week. Will be interesting to see if they try to replicate the structures of the other clubs instead of a fairly easy to read game plan. Drummoyne have been very impressive with the right mix of X factor and structure to their side. I can see them winning this 14+