• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree, that there isn't sufficient segmentation of a statistic from other statistics in Rugby to provide an effective stand-alone analysis (i.e. they are all interrelated) as in baseball or perhaps cricket. It certainly needs to be combined with a qualitative assessment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Moneyball reference is also somewhat based on people's perceptions of what certain players or positions should be doing and how they value that thing.

They value pilfers and forced penalties unbelievably highly for the 7 because they see that as their core job. They value some other things such as line breaks or run metres less because they don't see that as the core job of that player.

It is incredibly difficult to weight these factors against each other and indeed they need to be done pretty much across an entire team or at least forward pack because the outcome of those efforts are somewhat shared. Teams need to be able to fulfil a bunch of roles to be successful but for a lot of those roles it doesn't matter who does a specific thing.

Baseball like cricket is one of the most easily measurable sports based on statistics because it is so incredibly individual for a team sport.

Clearly the biggest issues the Pooper throws up is that you are most likely losing a lineout jumper and a big ball runner. If the team is still successful enough at the lineout and getting across the gain line with them playing then the other things they jointly add around the field are most likely going to give rise to an overall net benefit for the team.

With Timu seeming like the only viable number 8 if Pocock isn't selected there, I just don't see him being able to add enough with his ball running and lineout ability to make up for not having both Pocock and Hooper on the park.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Real question is does Timu have enough lineout ability to play with the Pooper. Because that would just be swell if he did. We could even accommodate Simmons in the team.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know it is only 8 games in by following Gibbos public statement saying he would like a 1 year extention I thought I would gauge opinion on it.
I think that Gibbo should step aside after this year, win lose or draw, I don't see the point in Gibbo getting a one year extention, it is merely delaying the inevitable and potentially opening up the possibility of a coach like Cron being poached by another Super Rugby team, Europe, Japan etc,
The below video was posted earlier this week, but lost in the middle of the Moneyball chat, I think Cron has to get the gig, its pretty clear he has had an effect on the pack, they look like they understand there roles better, I am fascinated and learn something every time I hear him talk, I think he instills confidence, self-believe and does not accept mediocrity into the teams he coaches, his interview with Alan Jones post SS win clearly explains what he looks for in his players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=VGkGfkOnPwk

Thoughts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would give Gibson another year. I think he is currently well on track to earn it and I think another year as an assistant will do Cron good. The turnaround from last year has been significant.

I would certainly be putting it to Cron that the job is his in 2020 and have him more involved in helping shape the squad for 2019 onwards in terms of re-signing and recruitment priorities.

I tend to think Cron needs more time to do what he is doing with the forwards to get them to where he wants them before he has to hand on much of that job to someone else and remember that Gibson went backwards when he went from being an assistant to being the head coach because the role is so different and becomes a lot more about player management and is less hands on.

2018 has already seen a big shakeup in the coaching staff so having some continuity with a group that seems to be working before having more movement seems like a good option to me.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would give Gibson another year. I think he is currently well on track to earn it and I think another year as an assistant will do Cron good. The turnaround from last year has been significant.

I would certainly be putting it to Cron that the job is his in 2020 and have him more involved in helping shape the squad for 2019 onwards in terms of re-signing and recruitment priorities.

I tend to think Cron needs more time to do what he is doing with the forwards to get them to where he wants them before he has to hand on much of that job to someone else and remember that Gibson went backwards when he went from being an assistant to being the head coach because the role is so different and becomes a lot more about player management and is less hands on.

2018 has already seen a big shakeup in the coaching staff so having some continuity with a group that seems to be working before having more movement seems like a good option to me.

Yeah fair point, the big test is clearly Friday, come away with a win or a competitive loss and I think everyone will be happy, no surprise to see them go back to Staniforth and a 6-2 bench

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah fair point, the big test is clearly Friday, come away with a win or a competitive loss and I think everyone will be happy, no surprise to see them go back to Staniforth and a 6-2 bench

Yeah, huge game this week. The toughest test they have faced this season where they are realistically expected to win. A win here really sets them up to have a good crack against the New Zealand teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great idea to have the Tahs and Swans play on Friday night in Moore park on what is the beginning of an Anzac week whil Gladys is directing traffic around the light rail fiasco with no extra buses.
Still, I suppose the Tahs are unlikely to be contributing much to the throngs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So Daryl Gibson seeking a one year extension....well after performance against lions and to be really frank past track record can we just happily let Gibson go and try and rectify our coaching woes. Cron needs more time as Assistant Coach so lets find a better coach for next season as Gibson is a failed head coach at Tahs and needs to be moved on. It would have been better if axed last year but we understand why they didn't with payouts required on the contract, Cron being groomed to derisk etc.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't bother with replacing coaches. Lets save the money and can the whole lot of these useless F^%$#ks. Do away with Pro rugby altogether, dump the parasites and leaches sucking on the corporate dollar from the pro game and whatever little is left with no pro rugby dollars can then flow unobstructed to the community game.

Super Rugby is a waste of time for Australian sides, they are unable to compete with anybody except in dire horrible local derbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.