• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 SYDNEY COLTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was down at Woollahra Oval yesterday afternoon (I was one of the 3 officials appointed by NSWRRA), and it was an enjoyable day down in Easts' home ground against Gordon

A few thoughts on the day that I want to share with everyone:
  1. There is definitely no love lost between these 2 x clubs - whilst there were no fights in the 3 x matches, tempers did flare up a few times, especially in 2nd and 1st grade games,
  2. The artificial turf is great for running rugby; there were no issues with players scrum footings, nor running on the surface - well done to Easts to having this (eventually) laid and ready for use
  3. I do not think that BH (for Easts) is a number 13; defensively this is the most difficult outside back position to organise the defense as coordination is required with your outside winger and inside centre. It was interesting to note that a few of Gordon's tries in the 2nd half of 1st grade were scored out wide. I understand he played most of last year as #12 at Waverley
  4. Having said that, BH did play well with the ball in hand and made a few tackle busts (one scoring a try), and did a few outside hand offloads
  5. It was good to see young Sheldon back in action; I don't think #15 is his natural position though, I would like to see him and the current #10 swap positions, and with BH also swapping with the Easts captain (#12); I think the back-line would then be more balanced to utilise its skill and power.
  6. It was also great to see McTaggart play on the wing for Easts; he was kept relatively quiet though, and this was largely due to the double teaming by the Gordon outside backs (who played very well to contain both McT and BH)
  7. I thought Gordon 1st grade played really tough, grinding rugby, and they never gave up which was very admirable. In case some people do not know, they lost their #8 to the Sin Bin at the 20 min mark (pulling back an Easts attacking supporting player (then early tackling him) whilst both were running after the Easts attacking player just inside the G 22m line), and they lost another player for a slap-down of an Easts attacking pass at the 27 min mark; Gordon were basically playing with 2 x players down for a short period of time in the first half
Unfortunately there is no rematch as they do not meet again during the normal/ preliminary rounds this season (just checked the season draw) however I can see both teams making the finals series on yesterdays performance
Great Post, great contribution to the thread.

Just need some input from the other games.

Did I see posted elsewhere Randwick put a big score on Warringah?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
First grade colts results from yesterday

Randwick 87 def Warringah 10

Souths 67 def Wests 14

Gordon 30 def Easts 24

Uni 90 def Penrith 7

Manly 27 def Norths 15

Eastwood 52 def Parramatta 17

Only 2 close matches out of 6:eek:

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
First grade colts results from yesterday

Randwick 87 def Warringah 10

Souths 67 def Wests 14

Gordon 30 def Easts 24

Uni 90 def Penrith 7

Manly 27 def Norths 15

Eastwood 52 def Parramatta 17

Only 2 close matches out of 6:eek:
Warringah and Penrith should be a good match

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
That is not overy fair
I think the Warringah-Randwick result says more about Randwick than Warringah.
By rights a Rep team should always beat a club team.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
That is not overy fair
Wasn't being overly serious.

I expect Warringah will also put a score on Penrith. Hopefully they don't get flogged in every game and do have a contest against some of the clubs.

Rep teams don't always win easily over club sides. As Randwick found out last year.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did I read McTaggart played for Easts? Wasn't in the team list posted.

Anyone know where Wilkinson and Yirribi are at? Playing grade?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Did I read McTaggart played for Easts? Wasn't in the team list posted.

Anyone know where Wilkinson and Yirribi are at? Playing grade?

McTaggert played wing for Easts 1st colts (instead of Luisi originally listed)

Wilkinson, Ramm, Pietsch all played Grade (2nd), Pellegrini, Narayan played Grade (3rd) - Yirrbi was originally listed to play Grade also but isn't listed. Points for Aust 7's and U20's players probably mean they couldn't fit into colts.

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
That is not overy fair

Whilst Randwick have been guilty of recruiting players from outside their junior base in previous years, Saturday's 1sts Colts team v Warringah was actually made up of 10 local juniors who played for Clovelly, Coogee, South Coogee and Eastgardens when they were young. The 2nds and 3rds Colts teams are also full of local juniors who have returned to play for their local club. They have always been a strong age group coming thru the juniors and school competitions with the majority of them attending Waverley College, Newington and Marcellin College.

Yes...there are still players who have been offered scholarships etc, but it's great to see that the majority of the boys playing this year have returned to their senior club after wearing the myrtle green as juniors.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

Wilkinson, Ramm, Pietsch all played Grade (2nd), Pellegrini, Narayan played Grade (3rd) - Yirrbi was originally listed to play Grade also but isn't listed. Points for Aust 7's and U20's players probably mean they couldn't fit into colts.

Yirribi played in the colts game against Gordon last week.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

When do the points accrue?

On being officially named in a squad or do you have to run on and get a cap.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
Apparently Uni accounted for Penrith in all 3 grades, very easily.

No surprise there, but Penrith did manage to field a 3rd grade colts side. And that game was the only one of the 7 played that wasn't a crazy lop sided result. 33-5, I believe.

Most of the other were 100 - Nil or thereabouts.

So Penrith must have scratched around and found a few players that can play a bit.

We didn't scratch too hard for them Badger, they include the first lot of local RSL juniors to join Raptors jrs mostly u17s who were u16 Sydney or Western zone reps. Plenty of hoops to jump through to get them on the park being underage. Give us 3 years to shake up all 3 Colts grades.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We didn't scratch too hard for them Badger, they include the first lot of local RSL juniors to join Raptors jrs mostly u17s who were u16 Sydney or Western zone reps. Plenty of hoops to jump through to get them on the park being underage. Give us 3 years to shake up all 3 Colts grades.
Good work.
RA should buy you a mini bus to collect them for training and games.
$35k.
1 week of Pocock + Folau’s rumoured salaries.
Edit: I even found one for you on truck sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.