• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't bother with replacing coaches. Lets save the money and can the whole lot of these useless F^%$#ks. Do away with Pro rugby altogether, dump the parasites and leaches sucking on the corporate dollar from the pro game and whatever little is left with no pro rugby dollars can then flow unobstructed to the community game.

Super Rugby is a waste of time for Australian sides, they are unable to compete with anybody except in dire horrible local derbies.

Some will call this extreme but I think we may as well just fast forward to the last scene and see how it ends.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the Moneyball reference is also somewhat based on people's perceptions of what certain players or positions should be doing and how they value that thing.

They value pilfers and forced penalties unbelievably highly for the 7 because they see that as their core job. They value some other things such as line breaks or run metres less because they don't see that as the core job of that player.

It is incredibly difficult to weight these factors against each other and indeed they need to be done pretty much across an entire team or at least forward pack because the outcome of those efforts are somewhat shared. Teams need to be able to fulfil a bunch of roles to be successful but for a lot of those roles it doesn't matter who does a specific thing.

Baseball like cricket is one of the most easily measurable sports based on statistics because it is so incredibly individual for a team sport.

Clearly the biggest issues the Pooper throws up is that you are most likely losing a lineout jumper and a big ball runner. If the team is still successful enough at the lineout and getting across the gain line with them playing then the other things they jointly add around the field are most likely going to give rise to an overall net benefit for the team.

With Timu seeming like the only viable number 8 if Pocock isn't selected there, I just don't see him being able to add enough with his ball running and lineout ability to make up for not having both Pocock and Hooper on the park.

Overthinking it.
I dont think Hooper plays like a 7.
That used to worry me.
Now I comfort myself in the knowledge that however he plays, whatever he does and whatever number should be on his back, were it not for him there would be nothing

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Only oz sides enjoying watching this weekend was Easts vs Randwick in Shute Shield.

I am just struggling to have enthusiasm at this point to watch Oz super rugby sides as they are just getting worse at this point.

Almost prefer to pretend Super Rugby does not exist and focus on club rugby as less depressing and frustrating.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Only oz sides enjoying watching this weekend was Easts vs Randwick in Shute Shield.

I am just struggling to have enthusiasm at this point to watch Oz super rugby sides as they are just getting worse at this point.

Almost prefer to pretend Super Rugby does not exist and focus on club rugby as less depressing and frustrating.

Haha, I'm watching Aviva Premiership more than anything

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

And the Shute Shield Commentators are much better. The main caller is so far ahead of Greg Clarke.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
And the Shute Shield Commentators are much better. The main caller is so far ahead of Greg Clarke.

is he still going? He blocked me because I suggested his commentary was biased towards the Tah's.
If you are that sensitive don't go on social media.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
He’s entitled to block people if he likes. He’s entitled to be on social media without being accosted by anonymous personas.

Being accosted is equal to one polite suggestion that he was not giving the other Aust team a fair go, no I don't think so.
He was either having a bad day, does not like any public suggestion he is not neutral be it true or not or did not understand the platform and what blocking meant.
Because he then sent me private messages justifying his view, again this is after just one polite message, but I was unable to answer him due to being blocked.
He wouldn't last 2 min on this forum judging by my experience with him.
Is this about him or just you trying to have a dig at me?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Am I the only one who thinks maybe it's time to start Mack Mason? Foley doesn't do it for me and I'm sick of him being basically being untouchable. I think Mack could help the Tahs play a lot more direct and square to the line.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Am I the only one who thinks maybe it's time to start Mack Mason? Foley doesn't do it for me and I'm sick of him being basically being untouchable. I think Mack could help the Tahs play a lot more direct and square to the line.
Don’t think Mack is going to get a gig ahead of Foley anytime soon (rightly or wrongly). If I was part of the Reds or Brumbies set up I’d be looking strongly at giving him a contract next year. He was very good for Easts yesterday in their loss to Randwick and would help with some of the attacking deficiencies in Canberra and QLD.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Did you watch both games?

Hahaha. Fair enough, no. Though I doubt the OP did either.

Look those who have had enough of Super and look to Club rugby, I can only agree it is giving rugby fans some hope. And this is afterall a Waratah thread.

I don't suppose there is somewhere to watch it, you know stream or otherwise?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Being accosted is equal to one polite suggestion that he was not giving the other Aust team a fair go, no I don't think so.
He was either having a bad day, does not like any public suggestion he is not neutral be it true or not or did not understand the platform and what blocking meant.
Because he then sent me private messages justifying his view, again this is after just one polite message, but I was unable to answer him due to being blocked.
He wouldn't last 2 min on this forum judging by my experience with him.
Is this about him or just you trying to have a dig at me?

Now who’s being sensitive?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Now who’s being sensitive?

I'm not being sensitive, I'm wondering why of all the comments on here you jump at that. Especially using terms such as accosted.
The last time I politely made a public suggestion to you, you deleted it.
Do you have some sensitivity to being criticised on your website as it may encourage others to do the same?
Do you see some similarity between your situation and Clarkie?
Do you know Clarkie?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not being sensitive, I'm wondering why of all the comments on here you jump at that. Especially using terms such as accosted.
The last time I politely made a public suggestion to you, you deleted it.
Do you have some sensitivity to being criticised on your website as it may encourage others to do the same?
Do you see some similarity between your situation and Clarkie?
Do you know Clarkie?

Not that I want to encourage this conversation but you missed the last one on that list of questions for maximum enteratinment for us in the cheap seats, and that is:
ARE YOU CLARKIE?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hahaha. Fair enough, no. Though I doubt the OP did either.

Look those who have had enough of Super and look to Club rugby, I can only agree it is giving rugby fans some hope. And this is afterall a Waratah thread.

I don't suppose there is somewhere to watch it, you know stream or otherwise?

There was a replay on Foxtel on Saturday night, if that helps next week? Also there is a possibility that the original telecast will be shown on one of the Seven channels on Saturday arvo? It was shown in SE Qld last season. You could record it, and get a feast of club rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There was a replay on Foxtel on Saturday night, if that helps next week? Also there is a possibility that the original telecast will be shown on one of the Seven channels on Saturday arvo? It was shown in SE Qld last season. You could record it, and get a feast of club rugby.

Think I will - thanks for the heads up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

There is a massive difference in the standard between club and super rugby, Mason is doing well but part of that is being in a professional program and training with the likes of Foley & Beale everyday. That said I would like to see him get some more bench time in S15

Status
Not open for further replies.