• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see the papers have Folau being offered lots of money to play in England, I wonder how that would fit in with a Kiwi playing and often living wife

I also question how much fun a non kicking 15 would have playing muddy cold bogs for 3 to 4 months of each season

Reactions: Tex

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I see the papers have Folau being offered lots of money to play in England, I wonder how that would fit in with a Kiwi playing and often living wife

I also question how much fun a non kicking 15 would have playing muddy cold bogs for 3 to 4 months of each season

Given the choice you'd surely sacrifice a few dollars and base yourself in the south of france hey?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Given the choice you'd surely sacrifice a few dollars and base yourself in the south of france hey?

after spending some time across the border in San Sebastian, I think that Bayonne/Biarritz area would be a nice base

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Previously people were convinced Folau would go and play for the Auckland Blues or NZ Warriors so he could be close to his wife and the money wasn't a big motivator for him and now they're convinced he'll chase the big dollars in the UK or France.

I reckon he'll end up agreeing to one more year with RA and the Waratahs to play the 2019 RWC, his wife will hang around NZ to try and play one more Netball World Champs (also next year) and then she'll retire and he'll head to Europe to chase more money.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Previously people were convinced Folau would go and play for the Auckland Blues or NZ Warriors so he could be close to his wife and the money wasn't a big motivator for him and now they're convinced he'll chase the big dollars in the UK or France.

I reckon he'll end up agreeing to one more year with RA and the Waratahs to play the 2019 RWC, his wife will hang around NZ to try and play one more Netball World Champs (also next year) and then she'll retire and he'll head to Europe to chase more money.

bugger off with your clear reasoning and logic, BH!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also worth noting that the Warriors & Blues have both publicly stated they're not interested in Folau even if he were available. No reasons given so not sure if that's a financial thing or due to the recent/ ongoing controversy.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Also worth noting that the Warriors & Blues have both publicly stated they're not interested in Folau even if he were available. No reasons given so not sure if that's a financial thing or due to the recent/ ongoing controversy.

League seems to find exciting new wingers every year - Storm had no problems replacing Koroibete (21 year-olds Addo-Carr and Vunivalu combined for 46 tries last year, the most in 60 years). The big money in league goes to the "spine" players (hooker, half, 5/8, FB), not old wingers.
NB Vunivalu is a product of St Kentigern College :cool:

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think Union is the same as league in terms of value of positions. Without the contest for the ball in League it is easier to hide players weaknesses, also the super structured nature of the game helps defensive re-allignments and set attacking structures easier to do.

I love my league (go Raiders) but there is hookers that can't pass either side, most of the players couldn't kick to save themselves and forwards play is largely interchangeable, hence the locking position now quickly becoming a 3rd prop. Essentially it's starting to become rather NFL like in that positions are defined (set players on set sides of the field) to a small set of skills that are conducted at an amazing level. Rugby players however need to be more rounded as there is multiple facets in which the opposition could exploit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sale now denying the report they're chasing Folau:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12038999

Not even Diamond can go from "we don't want to be associated with that" to signing the bloke, I think..........

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Whose next? Any player on the Rebels roster that isn’t getting game time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My understanding was that Jordy was being kept around to rehab an injury and wasn’t a required player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Whose next? Any player on the Rebels roster that isn’t getting game time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding was that Jordy was being kept around to rehab an injury and wasn’t a required player.

MACCA he had an injury from which they thought he might not recover, he was off contract so it wasn't renewed, but the Rebels kept him in Melbourne, doing rehab and using their facilities to train. he played Dewar Shield on the weekend and i assume he will go to UK for next season.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)

Hey Stoff would that also be considered workers comp? I'd imagine it would be the same a most employers obligations to get the employee fit for work again. What a shame this has had to happen for Jordy to get a game he'd be a pretty handy 7 to have around the club.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Many here, including me, lamented Fardy's move: arguably the only genuinely abrasive-and-effective backrower of the last little while. Our closest thing to a kiwi 6.
The 2019 RWC is not that far away and his form seems to have improved making it even harder to understand the thinking behind letting him go.
I guess he's not a pinup boy.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ex...-top-european-rugby-gong-20180425-p4zbm2.html

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Many here, including me, lamented Fardy's move: arguably the only genuinely abrasive-and-effective backrower of the last little while. Our closest thing to a kiwi 6.
The 2019 RWC is not that far away and his form seems to have improved making it even harder to understand the thinking behind letting him go.
I guess he's not a pinup boy.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ex...-top-european-rugby-gong-20180425-p4zbm2.html

Apparently the Brums and Rebs are chasing Pete Samu which would be a blessing for Aussie 6 stocks

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon Folau will leave Australia at the end of his contract.

The bloke is not silly and the recent events have galvanised offers from several sources. A cynic may actually believe it was a well thought out strategy purely designed to increase his paypacket. God works in mysterious ways.

It's really all about the dosh. To keep him RA will have to chuck another million at him and swallow the criticism that will surely follow. He will never go back to league - they don't NEED him.
Overseas clubs will increase offers because this bloke guarantees a lot more bums on seats,
irrespective of his personal views.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I reckon Folau will leave Australia at the end of his contract.

The bloke is not silly and the recent events have galvanised offers from several sources. A cynic may actually believe it was a well thought out strategy purely designed to increase his paypacket. God works in mysterious ways.

It's really all about the dosh. To keep him RA will have to chuck another million at him and swallow the criticism that will surely follow. He will never go back to league - they don't NEED him.
Overseas clubs will increase offers because this bloke guarantees a lot more bums on seats,
irrespective of his personal views.

Im the cynic