• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ always remembering, of course, that JC was ours until he crossed the ditch. That said I doubt he'd have risen to the heights he did had he stayed in NZ so I guess in this case we can go 60/40 :).

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Darrell Eastlake has lost his battle with his alzheimers at 75. His commentary at the weightlifting was "huuge".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
AUSTRALIAN RUGBY MOURNS THE LOSS OF WALLABY 397, JACK CARROLL
JUNE 29, 2018

The Australian Rugby community has today paid tribute to Wallaby 397, Jack Carroll who passed away at the age of 94 this week.

A jack of all trades forward, Carroll played in every position except hooker across his 12 non- Test caps and one Test cap for Australia.

In 1950 he was selected to represent NSW against Queensland at flanker and just five days later was selected to play against the British & Irish Lions in a tour match in Sydney.

Carroll made his Test debut against South Africa in 1953 and throughout his playing career went on tours to South Africa and New Zealand.

Born in Sydney, Carroll attended Sydney Technical High School where he learned the fundamentals of carpentry. Throughout his club Rugby days, Carroll played for Eastern Suburbs where he mastered the fundamentals of the game and became a club stalwart.

In 1962, Carroll came out of retirement to once again play for Easts when the club had languished to 9th in Sydney’s premiership competition. Carroll played in all 20 matches of the season, to help lead the club to the Semi Finals, where at the age of 37 he hung up his playing boots.

Classic Wallabies Manager, Stephen Hoiles said: “On behalf of the Classic Wallabies and Australian Rugby Community we would like to pass on our condolences to Jack’s family at this difficult time.

“As a Wallaby Jack was a robust forward who was always willing to put his hand up to play anywhere to help his team mates and his country. He was the living embodiment of Rugby’s values of teamwork and inclusion.

“The thoughts of the Australian Rugby community are with the Carroll family at this difficult time.”

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Today my wife & I sent my boss, a woman we both admire greatly, and her husband flowers on account of their 26-year-old son having been found dead in a body of water near Tauranga.

Details are sketchy but last night armed Police executed a warrant at a property here in Hamilton, and stuff.co.nz are reporting that he had links to two gangs which in these parts puts him at least on the periphery of the drug scene. It's a place where people get brain-damaged or paralysed by being bashed for a few "points" (of a gram) of whatever shit some lowlife is cooking up, or killed on the mere suspicion they might be a "rat" or a "nark". Or because they've pissed off someone further up the pyramid. Or sometimes for no reason that anyone can determine.

I've known this young man since he was about 12 & he's no angel but he was, as they say, someone's son, someone's partner, and a little girl's daddy. No-one deserves what happened to Mitch & sure as shit no-one deserves what his parents, partner & whanau are going through right now.

Go easy, Mitch.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aretha Franklin, 76, from pancreatic cancer. Even if soul & gospel aren't your thing you had to admit she had one of the great voices & opened a lot of doors previously closed to "women of color" in the US & elsewhere.

EDIT: didn't know that Otis Redding wrote Respect which makes it one of those rarities where the cover takes the original to a whole different level.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
John McCain, 81, US Senator & Presidential candidate, of brain cancer. Son (& grandson) of an Admiral so coulda got daddy to pull some strings a la Bush jnr & the dickhead currently residing in the White House & get a deferment but chose to serve in Vietnam & spent five years as a POW as a result. Such a shame that he dies of brain cancer while a brainless git trashes pretty much everything the USA used to stand for. To their credit his family have made it clear that the liar-in-chief isn't welcome at any of the three services that will be held.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
John Thornett Wallaby 410

[
Screenshot_20190105-100947.jpg

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
John Thornett, absolute legend of the game. Only fitting he gets a tribute in this place.

If I read it correctly, he played every position in the Forwards for Aus except Hooker.

That feat would be near impossible today. The game has changed alot.