• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Wessels came over with the mission to get rid of as many current Rebels players as possible. (excluding Wobs) Might be regretting dumping Stirzaker and Hanson now
Smith
McMahon
Hanson

3 Wallabies who left, throw in Lomax and that Jones wanted to come back this year but couldn't cause of the cut.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Smith
McMahon
Hanson

3 Wallabies who left, throw in Lomax and that Jones wanted to come back this year but couldn't cause of the cut.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KevinO to be fair to Wessels, both Smith and McMahon had left before he arrived.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
bumped into him in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and he said he was about to start playing again. so this is presumably a stepping stone back into the pro ranks in Europe presumably, no surf in Ealing however.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
bumped into him in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and he said he was about to start playing again. so this is presumably a stepping stone back into the pro ranks in Europe presumably, no surf in Ealing however.

He played for 25 minutes last weekend in the Dewar Shield, looked in pretty good form as well.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Payto and Panda are reporting that us and the Brumbies are chasing Pete Samu from the Saders'. Hes a Melbourne born and raised boy so hopefully that plays in our hands. With Mafi and Parling gone next year should leave plenty of space in the cap to pursue a player or 2.

Could have

Faulkner
Uelese
Talakai
Coleman
Phillip
Samu
Hardwick
Timani

that would be a solid pack

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just another viewpoint on the matter, R3, but I understood that many of the ex-Force players were signed outside the salary cap this year, but will be counted in the cap from next year onwards. If that's so, then it might be sometime yet, or subject to a few more player losses, before there is any money available in the Rebels' salary cap. Do you know what the situation is?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
From what i heard getting rid of Lance meant the Rebels were salary cap compliant, Mafi and Parling will also be heading off.

Plus the squad has already been shaved from the start of the year with Stirzacker, etc gone and players like Horwitz gone for next year.

Essentially we should be able to use the money on both Mafi and Parling to reinvest in players for the coming year.

Look for players like Hutchinson to potentially be moved (back to the 7s program), and a player from either the centres/outside back spots who'd be looking for more regular playing time for 2019 WC and the likelihood that Tuipulotu been a feature in the weekly squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But I have to ask, were the salaries for Coleman Philip, RHP, Cottrell, Ruru, Meakes and DHP included in this years' cap? I'm sure the earlier signings would have been counted, but there was a lot of smoke around at the time that these players were continuing to be paid by the ARU and were not counted in the cap for 2018.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The problem is the Rebels and Brumbies aren’t in dire need of a backrower like Samu. I know Mafi is going but you’ve still got Hardwick, RHP, Cottrell and Timani. The Brumbies have Valetini, Naisarani, Pocock, Mcaffrey, and Cusack. The Tahs could actually use Samu but it looks like they’re not even going after him.

Rebels should be saving up to try and get Quade down to pair with Genia.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why would the Tahs chase Samu. They have three of the Wallabies' backrow as it is - Hooper, Hanigan and Dempsey. And now there is a push by some for Wells to be there as well. Samu wouldn't get to see any game time at all.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well that was a further disappointment. same issues for the last few weeks, in particular ill discipline - penalties, forced passes and offloads; defensive pattern - lots of missed tackles, scrambling to get to the outside man; faltering set piece - three attacking lineouts turned over (deja vu 2017, 2016, 2015....), scrum inconsistency; pedestrian attack - struggling in attack to make room for or get the ball to Koroibete and Naivalu in space, poor option taking; captaincy - At least at the presser, the always impressive Wessels recognised it was HIS problem that the same on field errors are continuing. Whether or not they are fixed will determine just how good a coach he really is.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Being realistic, no-one expected the new rebels to win every game. We have won four and have seven games left. I don't think we can defeat a NZ side at the moment, so three more losses, but we still play the other four in the Aussie conference, and I give us another three wins, so seven.
If we compare to Tahs, who have five wins and eight games to go, by the same rationale, no wins to them against NZ and then four more games in the Aussie conference naturally, my view is they will lose to Rebels, so two or three wins to them, makes them first or second in the Aussie conference depending if they can defeat Brumbies.
So will we make the finals? Its still a strong possibility.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i never expected them to be world beaters, the opening three games had me very pleasantly surprised. what i had hoped for over the last 5 games is some general improvement and elimination of the repetitive mistakes, i've not seen any of that, which is my biggest concern. i think the Rebels probably are one of the top two sides in Australia, which unfortunately isn't saying much at all. i think all the Australian super side will struggle from now to beat an OS team this year and i include the Sunwolves in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.