• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's how Scots have chosen their school captain in the past. Give it to the lad who's mum and dad provide the biggest donation.
That's the way things work in this country, particularly so in the Eastern suburbs.

You can buy anything including the office of Prime minister

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Joeys’ supporters will be happy to hear that Triston Reilly scored the winning try for Randwick against Easts in the Shute Shield in his first year out of school. Reilly was part of that group of players each year who for some mystifying reason miss out on Australian Schoolboys and Barbarians selection, proving again that there’s many more opportunities once you head into club land.

S

sidelineview

Joeys’ supporters will be happy to hear that Triston Reilly scored the winning try for Randwick against Easts in the Shute Shield in his first year out of school. Reilly was part of that group of players each year who for some mystifying reason miss out on Australian Schoolboys and Barbarians selection, proving again that there’s many more opportunities once you head into club land.

Good on him; and was a league player who may not have played rugby had he not attended Joeys.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Game 2; New 46 def York HS 0.

Off the highveldt and now at sea level in George, Western Cape.
Many thanks for the update QH, I know its early days but is it possible at some time in the future, for a numbers list per age group of the Rugby at Newington in terms Rugby Teams the school possess.

Any efforts would be deeply appreciated

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Game 3 in Capetown won by New 43-0 over Jan Van Riebeeck HS.

Unfortunately when teenagers write blogs, there's more information about what they had for breakfast, what their rooms look like and the facilities at the local shopping mall than there is about the games.:D

Reactions: WLF

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Game 3 in Capetown won by New 43-0 over Jan Van Riebeeck HS.

Unfortunately when teenagers write blogs, there's more information about what they had for breakfast, what their rooms look like and the facilities at the local shopping mall than there is about the games.:D
QH, is the touring team close the 1sts or a mix of 1 & 2 s.

Or is there more grades involved?

Seems they are winning easily,
Are they playing the top SA rugby schools?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, is the touring team close the 1sts or a mix of 1 & 2 s.

Or is there more grades involved?

Seems they are winning easily,
Are they playing the top SA rugby schools?

Not sure who is on tour, but it would be opens so I assume mainly 1s and 2s. (16s going to Ireland in September/October holidays so not too many if any would do both)

First game was close, but don't know the name of the school they played. (but I can tell you that they had a barbecue afterwards)

According to their website, hockey is the main winter sport at York HS and rugby is smaller. I gather that it was the first English speaking school in the town and only started in the 1970s. So no particularly strong rugby tradition there.

Jan Van Riebeeck HS is an Afrikaans school and the website is in Afrikaans only, but from my limited command of Afrikaans it only has 500 students, half of whom are girls so I would assume that there wouldn't be much depth in terms of numbers. They wear straw boaters though.:)

I think they have one game left - no sure who they are playing.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
You would think one of the top Rugby schools in Australia would play the top Rugby schools in SA.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
You'd think so, not sure who organised the games - it's usually the tour operator.

South African Schools tend to be smaller in their enrolment numbers, say 500-600 boys at schools such as Michael House(Their version of Kings). Other significant Rugby schools are Bishop's College and Grey College. Although, smaller than their Australian counter-parts, Rugby numbers are larger for such small schools, displaying the passion and intensity that Rugby has within the SA white community.

An old South African friend told me these schools would have say 5 teams in the 14s,15s and 16s and Eight in the opens, yet have only 100 per year group. Another, interesting fact is that Saturday sport is mandatory, even for state schools. With teachers required to coach a team.

This means that their little difference between government and state schools regarding Rugby standards. In many cases the state schools are stronger with Pretoria Boys High and Johannesburg Boys High, being examples. In fact he emphasised the point that the top 10 Rugby playing state schools would easily account for the top 10 private schools.

Similarly, in New Zealand the playing strength of their state schools, enables NZ to have greater depth than Australia. Its unlike we would get the same effort out of our state school teachers. Hence, like the Rugby League, Rugby Union needs to have a major push in local club Rugby with juniors, 7-12 years old being the target age group.Only then can we truly compete with NZ sides at all levels.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Final game of the Newington tour of South Africa; Newington 35 def Somerset College 0.

Somerset College founded 1997, co-ed and English speaking.