• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD COLTS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Brisbane City:
Props: Liam Usher (Brothers), Egan Siggs (Brothers),

Hooker: Eugene Koorts (Brothers)

Locks: Michael Wood (Brothers), Matt Munday (Brothers)

Backrow: Harry Wilson (Brothers), Brodie Woodward (Brothers), Fraser McReight (Brothers), Jeral Skelton (Brothers),

Halfback: Isaac Tarabay (Brothers),

Flyhalf: Henry Lennon (Brothers)

Wing:

Centre: Hudson Creighton (Brothers), Tristan Stanhorn (Brothers)

Fullback: Byron Ralston (Brothers)

Is it me or can you not read Peter Piper? I see 14 Brothers players? Or would you like me to name their entire 1's,2's,3's and 4's as the Brisbane City side?

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it me or can you not read Peter Piper? I see 14 Brothers players? Or would you like me to name their entire 1's,2's,3's and 4's as the Brisbane City side?
I suspect PP looked at your "Country" team and didn't understand why it didn't have Brothers players in it.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
A weekend of some potentially tight games.
Uni v Souths: In the games I've watched, Uni didn't seem to have any game breakers or, more importantly, the forward pack to give their backs room to attack. Souths forwards should get the win. But not by much.
Easts v GPS: If you look at results against other teams, their form line is very similar, apart from Gps's round 1 upset over Brothers. I'll tip Easts at home, unless Tom Kibble plays and then GPS will win.
Bond v Norths: This shouldn't be close. Bond by a lot.
Sunnybank v Logan: Sunnybank. I feel sorry for Logan
Brothers v Wests: I see Wests are without Isaac Henry. If he had been playing I would have said Wests would win every day and twice on a Saturday. Without him though, it is a toss of the coin. Wests forward pack looks (just) stronger as an 8 than Brothers but there is a lot to like about Brothers backs - especially on kick returns. Wests will win the forward battle but Brothers will win due to some long range tries.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Still waiting on all teams lists! They seem to be going up later and later. Duck and drakes maybe?
Round Nine sees the following results;
Uni V Souths: Uni should be fresh after last weeks gallop against GPS, but if Souths put on their full strength team I cannot see them being stopped. Souths by 14
East V GPS: Not showing disrespect to West, but East were not that bad last weekend. 20 minutes out of 35 in the first half playing with 14 plays when West scored 31 unanswered points. Then 12-14 in the second half shows some hope. Unseen team lists has me going for East only on the slide of GPS without their stars. East by 8.
Bond V Norths: How anyone can pick any player from Norths in any NRC team after last week just astounds me! Bond is my sleepy for the top four and I think they will be way too strong for Norths. Bond by 20.
Sunnybank V Logan: Goes without saying, Sunnybank by plenty, but there may be a couple of yellow cards due to "square-up shots"
And the main event!
Brothers V West: All the experts have been waiting on this one. Again, are team lists really to be taken for granted, haven't seen the Brothers team yet? With or without injuries to West, Brothers were going to win this. Brothers just doing their business without fanfare. Brothers by a considerable margin in this one.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Yes, the main event of the first half of the season in Colts 1 - Brothers v Wests

This weekend I think the Wests forward strength will just about be nullified against Brothers and Wests will find it very difficult to give useful ball to their backs which they have previously done at will against other teams.

Brothers forwards are very good but I believe their backs are on another level and they are almost scoring at will every time they spread it wide. The Brothers halves have quick hands and a very long pass and are getting it out fast to enable outside backs to score out wide and then when teams try to counter, Tarabay then carves up close to the ruck.

It will be a great contest, but Brothers will just be too good.

Also looking ahead, if Brothers and Wests continue in the top 2, then at end of season they could be playing each other three times in last four weeks.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Final games of the first round, 1v2, 3v4, who would of thought.
GPS to find their mojo again over Easts.
Did Norths actually turn up last week?? Bond by plenty, Like WW, I see them being there or there abouts come finals time. Round 2 is theirs for the taking after some close losses in Rd 1.
Sunnybank with a sniff of 4th spot if Souths trip up will be to strong for Logan, but Logan will give as good as they get.
Uni v Souths. This will be close, and if (and it's a BIG IF) Uni can get the upper hand in the forwards, I expect them to get the chocolates.
Brothers v Wests, Brothers at Crosby with Wests missing a few players will end Wests run. But unlike WW it will be close, Wests pack is key as is their mid field, if they can gain a slight edge, then Wests could end up with the W.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final games of the first round, 1v2, 3v4, who would of thought.
GPS to find their mojo again over Easts.
Did Norths actually turn up last week?? Bond by plenty, Like WW, I see them being there or there abouts come finals time. Round 2 is theirs for the taking after some close losses in Rd 1.
Sunnybank with a sniff of 4th spot if Souths trip up will be to strong for Logan, but Logan will give as good as they get.
Uni v Souths. This will be close, and if (and it's a BIG IF) Uni can get the upper hand in the forwards, I expect them to get the chocolates.
Brothers v Wests, Brothers at Crosby with Wests missing a few players will end Wests run. But unlike WW it will be close, Wests pack is key as is their mid field, if they can gain a slight edge, then Wests could end up with the W.

Hmmm brothers flogged west’s, from accounts, not even close
Brothers look to be goods, west’s much hyped forwards apparently not upto scratch today

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Honestly West’s just didn’t show up at all. Their number 10 was out (Isaac Henry) and therefore there was no game control at all. They really missed him.

But they didn’t miss him by 41 points surely?? Brothers beat them all round the park and when they put a little pressure on them West’s they simply folded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBOY

Bob McCowan (2)
I suspect yesterdays Brother Vs West colts game will be a massive jolt and wake up call for Wests. Brothers to physical and better kicking game, actually brothers better ALL over the park ! Great win by brothers.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Using "getwithme's" team list and adding a few more, could you disagree with these boys getting a go in one of the NRC teams after Saturday's game??
Tom Sharp, Henry Sharp, Callum Hicks and Nathan Caroll.
41-0 in what must be said was an all round dominant performance by a well drilled and controlled Brother's team against the previously undefeated West team. Keeping all individual biased selections out it and who was "missing", Brothers were just too good. Playing with 14 men for the last 22 minutes after a red card, they still keep West scoreless and to top it off, put two more tries on!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Using "getwithme's" team list and adding a few more, could you disagree with these boys getting a go in one of the NRC teams after Saturday's game??
41-0 in what must be said was an all round dominant performance by a well drilled and controlled Brother's team against the previously undefeated West team. Keeping all individual biased selections out it and who was "missing", Brothers were just too good. Playing with 14 men for the last 22 minutes after a red card, they still keep West scoreless and to top it off, put two more tries on!

As clinical as they come. Brothers didn't put a foot wrong and Wests fired 0 shots

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
On the same note some of the Souths players named previously may struggle after the weekends game. Poor execution led to a loss against a patched up Uni side. The flyhalf did not direct them around and simply stands and passes. Kick for touch not going out. The coach did not make changes when Souths were tiring whereas the Uni coach made some timely replacements that kept the energy going.
Brothers are the benchmark for the halfway mark. Wests will be better prepared after being pumped on the weekend. Uni will be stronger when they get players back from Premier grade.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)

Some good points, you could almost argue given the dominance of the brothers side over the last 7 weeks, (some big scores) one whole team could be made up of Brothers players. You would have to expect at least 90 per cent of Brothers starting team to make NRC. 3-4 players From Wests, Uni, Sunnybank and Souths rounds out the teams. Cant see too many in from bottom teams.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that's a very generous prediction Frotter.

Will agree that Brothers probably has the most NRC additions from COLTS but I just don't see your numbers adding up of 90% of the starting lineup at Brothers.

2x squads (City/Country) of 35 each equals 70 NRC spots up for grabs.

There's 41 Reds players on the books so 70-41 = 29 remaining spots.

To think Brothers gets 13 or 14 players out of those 29 remaining spots when you gotta account for all the older players who stood out in premier grade that were awarded NRC gigs and then all the other clubs with have colts talent ready to make the next step.

I will revise your Brothers prediction to my own prediction and say minimum 5/maximum 8... but fascinated to see if your prediction comes true.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Right you are William Wallace!, Injuries to key players opens it all up for grabs. I heard a key player for Souths has returned from a long shoulder op recovery. Might just be the spark they need to reignite. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I think that's a very generous prediction Frotter.

Will agree that Brothers probably has the most NRC additions from COLTS but I just don't see your numbers adding up of 90% of the starting lineup at Brothers.

2x squads (City/Country) of 35 each equals 70 NRC spots up for grabs.

There's 41 Reds players on the books so 70-41 = 29 remaining spots.

To think Brothers gets 13 or 14 players out of those 29 remaining spots when you gotta account for all the older players who stood out in premier grade that were awarded NRC gigs and then all the other clubs with have colts talent ready to make the next step.

I will revise your Brothers prediction to my own prediction and say minimum 5/maximum 8. but fascinated to see if your prediction comes true.

Welcome SX to the chat.
Please tell me that only the current colts players are eligible for NRC, unless they are playing grade or higher. Please tell me that current GPS and AIC etc “REDs” players are ineligible. They are playing about a colts 3 standard and should not be included. Sorry if I offend any dads or players, that is simply the case. How many ex 1st 15 players rock up to colts in their first year and land in Colts 2 or Colts 3, most! Even the older boys who stay in the hope of a 13th year of glory in a rep team should be ineligible. How any reasonable judge of talent could compare schoolboy rugby to the Colts 1 program is beyond me. Just ask the those lads who stayed in 2017 for a second year of year 12, about the step up in standards. A lot of them are on the injured list at the moment. But hey, maybe I am not a reasonable judge of talent, by a considerable margin!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Welcome SX to the chat.
Please tell me that only the current colts players are eligible for NRC, unless they are playing grade or higher. Please tell me that current GPS and AIC etc “REDs” players are ineligible. They are playing about a colts 3 standard and should not be included. Sorry if I offend any dads or players, that is simply the case. How many ex 1st 15 players rock up to colts in their first year and land in Colts 2 or Colts 3, most! Even the older boys who stay in the hope of a 13th year of glory in a rep team should be ineligible. How any reasonable judge of talent could compare schoolboy rugby to the Colts 1 program is beyond me. Just ask the those lads who stayed in 2017 for a second year of year 12, about the step up in standards. A lot of them are on the injured list at the moment. But hey, maybe I am not a reasonable judge of talent, by a considerable margin!

I have no idea what your point was mate?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I have no idea what your point was mate?

Fair point SX, I will take a snippet from "The real Wally" and hope he doesn't mind!

"If history is anything to go on I suspect most of the team have already been selected based on previous efforts and identification. I hope that some players get opportunities that have previously not been part of a so called development squad or under age Rep side. .... Proof that hard work and playing well is acknowledged not simply what school you went to or whether your name was known before.

I know it is probably a pipe dream but for the benefit of rugby in general there needs to be acknowledgement that players develop physically and mentally at different times. Just because you made a team once should not mean you are a walk up start for the next team. .... I know it is a hard job for all coaches but surely once we have broken the shackles of School Rugby the process and goal for a club AND REP is to develop long term quality Premier grade and upwards players."

The point is; "Forget the 2017 season and any development squad you may have been in if you were in school rugby". If you are starting new in the Club scene in 2018 then you should go back to square 1 and earn your selection. It is a much higher standard in Club rugby and if you have not made it on this stage by playing the regular grind of week in week out rugby, then you should be ineligible for the NRC. If you are not playing club at all, then you should be ineligible as well. Our "marque" player system is what is hurting Australian rugby. The "magic carpet ride system" of rep selection is not working and needs to be overhauled!

Status
Not open for further replies.