• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Congratulations to Auggies, a well deserved victory.
They came out of the blocks firing.
Some tough uncompromising forwards and highly talented backs.
Auggies played smart rugby dictating the pace and style of the game
Scots never really settled and were their own worst enemy with numerous elementary mistakes.
After a much lauded start to the season Scots have been brought down to earth with a bump.
In the dying seconds they could have gone for a narrow win by taking a shot at goal but chose to kick for touch.
I'm glad they didn't take the kick, it would have been a hollow victory.
Auggies were the better team on the day.

I was impressed with Stannies too a few weeks ago.
It will be an epic encounter when they meet.
Been a pleasure seeing the ISA schools at Bellevue Hill this pre season.
A lot of talented players amongst their ranks.

As for Scots they will need to regroup.
A lot of mistakes to put right or they will struggle against a Kings team sweeping all before them.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Congratulations to Auggies, a well deserved victory.
They came out of the blocks firing.
Some tough uncompromising forwards and highly talented backs.
Auggies played smart rugby dictating the pace and style of the game
Scots never really settled and were their own worst enemy with numerous elementary mistakes.
After a much lauded start to the season Scots have been brought down to earth with a bump.
In the dying seconds they could have gone for a narrow win by taking a shot at goal but chose to kick for touch.
I'm glad they didn't take the kick, it would have been a hollow victory.
Auggies were the better team on the day.

I was impressed with Stannies too a few weeks ago.
It will be an epic encounter when they meet.
Been a pleasure seeing the ISA schools at Bellevue Hill this pre season.
A lot of talented players amongst their ranks.

As for Scots they will need to regroup.
A lot of mistakes to put right or they will struggle against a Kings team sweeping all before them.
Well said Wristy.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
Indeed.
Errors aside, it sounded like a couple of talented schoolboys sides going have at it, hammer and tongs!

Scots hosting of Kings next Saturday should be a wee cracker. Something to look forward to all week!

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Especially for Father Jim, who I’m sure has had the date circled large and in red on his annual wall Calendar, next Saturday, we have kicking off Round 1 of the (still un-trophied) GPS Thirds Comp.

3RD XV – GPS Competition Round 1:

S v A
E v I
H v K
G v J
(New w/ the opening Round bye)

So looking forward to Jim’s 3’s Season preview being posted up here sometime this week.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Especially for Father Jim, who I’m sure has had the date circled large and in red on his annual wall Calendar, next Saturday, we have kicking off Round 1 of the (still un-trophied) GPS Thirds Comp.

3RD XV – GPS Competition Round 1:

S v A
E v I
H v K
G v J
(New w/ the opening Round bye)

So looking forward to Jim’s 3’s Season preview being posted up here sometime this week.

Thanks, CJ. Will crungh the numbers when I have them all! I thought Newington were sadly again not playing in the comp. I don't think any New games are listed.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, you’re right Jim. Just checked 3’s Rounds 2 and 3. No ‘N’ is mentioned, though I thought New had a 3’s side running around for some the Trials.

Still looking forward to your Season Preview! :)

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
GPS V CAS - 26 June

I've just noticed that unlike recent years, the matches are NOT at Knox, under lights. At Joeys this year, with 1sts kicking off at 3pm.
Screenshot_20180527-120420.png

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
GPS V CAS - 26 June

I've just noticed that unlike recent years, the matches are NOT at Knox, under lights. At Joeys this year, with 1sts kicking off at 3pm.

Great for the players, I reckon. And all involved will absolutely know that the playing pitch will be immaculate, whatever the weather gods may put up! :)

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Great for the players, I reckon. And all involved will absolutely know that the playing pitch will be immaculate, whatever the weather gods may put up! :)
Agree CJ. While Knox is top shelf for viewing (as is Joeys), the ball gets slippery in the night games.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
I hope it works for the sake of Shore and schoolboy rugby in general. I dont have the answers but I'm going to throw a hand grenade here and suggest that the under performance is due to the parents contributing towards a bad culture amongst the boys and with the coaches......and not just the quality of coaching. Its not surprising that Mosman Junior Rugby Club is hugely underperforming given its large numbers.
The culture amongst the rowers and cricketers appears to be good and this needs to replicated across the winter sports - the performance of soccer is even worse than rugby and shown attached. I have heard that AFL is also sub standard.

Attachments

• IMG_4014.JPG
    IMG_4014.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 412

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^I couldn't help but notice at Queen's Park yesterday that there were an awful lot of soccer fields and soccer games - emphasis on awful. Even those who play in schoolboy soccer will tell you that the standard is way below club level. Aussie rules is worse.

Soccer attracts the uncommitted non-sporting types who just need to fulfil a sporting commitment at school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I assume that the Barker and St Augs victories would each be history making events in the sense that I would be surprised if Barker had beaten Joeys before and would be almost certain that Augs have never beaten Scots before.

There wouldn't have been very many games either between the respective schools.

Gotheboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
SDW,

I hope you will remember last year when this new mix of GPS,CAS and ISA, combination got absolutely trashed by many, and it was a battle to get some to see the better future.

NOW the mix of games/teams etc is thrilling, bring on a comp, if required, but the fact that schools aren't playing the same teams over and over has added a huge amount of interest and realism IMO.

WHAT DO OTHERS THINK?

My son is a Stannies under 15s player and the whole concept is absolutely fabulous for him.

The whole concept of playing against strong GPS and CAS schools is a real thrill for these kids.

Why not take it a step further and have a 8 team knockout ie 3 GPS, 3 CAS and 2 ISA schools to battle it out for the title at the end of their seasons?

Or even on the June long weekend as Im not sure of how many of these kids play in the state champs after under 14s?

Im sure the boys would jump at the opportunity

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
My son is a Stannies under 15s player and the whole concept is absolutely fabulous for him.

The whole concept of playing against strong GPS and CAS schools is a real thrill for these kids.

Why not take it a step further and have a 8 team knockout ie 3 GPS, 3 CAS and 2 ISA schools to battle it out for the title at the end of their seasons?

Or even on the June long weekend as Im not sure of how many of these kids play in the state champs after under 14s?

Im sure the boys would jump at the opportunity
Spot on. I have never had an issue with the scheduling of inter association games. Think it's awesome actually. But there are now too many trial games. If a comp could some how be carved out of these trials, then that would take schools rugby to an entirely different level. Here's something I wrote on this issue last year.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2018-changes-sydney-schools-rugby-fixtures/

Gotheboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Spot on. I have never had an issue with the scheduling of inter association games. Think it's awesome actually. But there are now too many trial games. If a comp could some how be carved out of these trials, then that would take schools rugby to an entirely different level. Here's something I wrote on this issue last year.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2018-changes-sydney-schools-rugby-fixtures/

sorry i forgot the CHS boys

How about the top 2 from each association ie 2 GPS, 2 CAS, 2ISA, 2 CHS so 8 in total meet early in the season after 2 trials.

Split into 4 team pools so 1 from each association in each pool

They play each other to determine their positions in each pool. So 3 games in the "pool" side of the competetion. Golden point to decide the winner on tied points.

Then each placed team play each other to determine the winners of the "supercomp" ie 1 plays 1 , 2 plays 2 etc, stc

In total 4 games each

Then move to their own comps after that?

Logistical nightmare I know but I sure the parents would be supportive

Great for Australian Rugby

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
the inclusion of ISA and CAS with GPS is certainly seeing some awesome school-boy rugby

would be great if they could somehow make the games , more than just trials. Comp games

having said that Auggies supporters seem like Manly fans . and hard-pressed to get much beyond Brookvale oval

sidesteppa , you bugger . I was counting on you going to Waitara. you were almost sitting next to me :mad:
One of the Barker guys does put some highlights up on youtube, albeit only footage of his team. However you may want to watch the Auggies game again, it's 'zoomed in' footage, so bigger detail than you can see with the naked eye from the sideline.