• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
On form I think so, DHP is likely to be picked though

I'd prefer Banks over Maddocks with Maddocks on the bench pushing DHP out of the 23 but agree that it is unlikely DHP will miss out given his experience and we'll only have one of Banks and Maddocks in the team.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone else appalled with Cheika / the ARU for potentially selecting Samu at the expense of someone currently playing for an Aussie Super team? I would be more understanding if they didn't have someone to fill that role, but back row is probably our strongest position.

It just smacks of Cheika's favouritism like last year not selecting Fardy 'because he's going oversease' yet constantly selecting McMahon!

Yep .. Colby Fainga'a would be my pick but remember Koribete was a Wallaby before he had played a game of super rugby!

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
I thought when put under pressure by decent teams he really fell away badly. Waratahs in that second half. Hurricanes exploited him mercilessly.

He was poor vs Hurricanes. Not physical enough in front-on defence.

Think he has been unfairly criticised for the Tahs game. Twice beaten in the air by none other than Folau but other than that was one of the better players I thought. Don't think anyone else would have fared much better really. Rebels put him against Folau as he has been good in the air all year. Hodge wasn't even contesting high balls that day, just let them take it and was dropping them even when keeping his feet planted...people still picking him on the Wallabies wing with no issue. DHP got stood up like no other by Saumaki on Friday night in defence yet people still call him the safe Wallabies wing option.

The third time a bomb for Folau went up Maddocks attacked it again, won it and made a 40 metre break. I think Cheika likes him because he takes the game on and plays with his eyes up and Aus rugby has lacked that.

Not ready for a starting spot yet but deserves to be in the mix no doubt.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Has Maddocks really earnt a starting spot?

Im probably coming across biased here, but of course he has. He is 2nd in try scoring this year, was a standout player in last years NRC, toured with the Wallabies and minus a few hiccups has by in large played well in almost every game.

I guess this is been asked in question about Banks or Maddocks, personally i think both deserve a chance and have bright futures but if anyone's memory actually went back beyond 2 weeks and the entirety of the season Maddocks has easily out pointed Banks, it's not even a discussion. Banks after about 4 rounds in was dropped from the 23 for poor form, although his performance last week was probably the best by any back 3 player all year.

DHP needs to play to nullify the aerial threat the Irish will almost certainly pose. Folau and DHP under those contested box kicks will go a long way to winning the series, anyone not comfortable under them will just see Murray and Sexton put on a clinic of contested kicking

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

DHP needs to play to nullify the aerial threat the Irish will almost certainly pose. Folau and DHP under those contested box kicks will go a long way to winning the series, anyone not comfortable under them will just see Murray and Sexton put on a clinic of contested kicking

Is DHP that much better than Maddocks in the air? He got done pretty badly against Italy last year and Maddocks looks pretty solid apart from a couple against Folau when the Rebels played the Tahs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep .. Colby Fainga'a would be my pick but remember Koribete was a Wallaby before he had played a game of super rugby!

Colby im sorry to say isn't near Wallabies contention. Samu has been playing well in the same competition the Wallabies players have been playing in, that's good enough for me. Plus the rest of the players in that 6 spot haven't really been putting their foot forward. Cottrell isn't goo enough, Reds have had a revolving door of 6/8 options (Timu more of an 8, Higgers won't get picked, Korcyzk not to int standard yet), Tahs have had Miller (not international standard) and Hanigan (very raw), best 6 in Aus has probably been McCaffrey but once again isn't quite at the standard. Samu for me is better than any of those options.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't mind the idea of Tui starting at #6 with the Pooper.

Second row of Coleman and Rodda with Tui, Hooper, Pocock and then Samu and maybe Higgers or Timu on the bench.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is DHP that much better than Maddocks in the air? He got done pretty badly against Italy last year and Maddocks looks pretty solid apart from a couple against Folau when the Rebels played the Tahs.

Maddocks is a little rushed and doesn't pick his battles well in contesting, DHP is considerably more measured. You might be right about the Italy game last year (i can't remember it) but on reflection of his career i can't remember him ever really been exposed in the air on a consistent basis (obviously everyone drops a ball here and there). Kearney, Earls and Stockdale base a large portion of their game on kick chase, so we need very composed back 3 players in the mix.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Maddocks is a little rushed and doesn't pick his battles well in contesting, DHP is considerably more measured. You might be right about the Italy game last year (i can't remember it) but on reflection of his career i can't remember him ever really been exposed in the air on a consistent basis (obviously everyone drops a ball here and there). Kearney, Earls and Stockdale base a large portion of their game on kick chase, so we need very composed back 3 players in the mix.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I think Ireland will be trying to pick out Foley under the highball so the positional play/setup will be important.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Brumbies are sitting out Pocock, Sio and Ala'alatoa from the Sunwolves game.

I think on that basis you can assume Ala'alatoa will be playing the first test.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You spend quite a deal of time sifting through Cheika's tea leaves BH, but I must admit you seem pretty adept at it.

I just think it would be very unusual for Cheika to make this request if he wasn't planning to have a player in his 23.

On the flipside, Cheika hasn't asked for Kuridrani to sit out so either he's not going to be picked for the first test or Cheika really thinks he needs more rugby to try and improve his form.