• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I see Pete Samu has signed for the Brumbies, I was hoping me may have been earmarked for Naki's replacement

I think they have LT and Leota lined up for that job. Don’t think we could fit him under the cap anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Will be interesting to see who they send over to WA for the Western Force clash. No Wallabies, obviously, but will they rest other first stringers?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
A mix. Don't think they will want key players injured, but we still need to keep our excellent record against the Force intact.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will be interesting to see who they send over to WA for the Western Force clash. No Wallabies, obviously, but will they rest other first stringers?
They would be getting a nice little sum for the match so I’d presume it’d be the best possible within reason obviously. There’s also a 2 week gap after the match so why not. It’s a meaningful match for a community in Australia crying out for some quality rugby so I’d hope they’d take it seriously. Considering who I’d suspect to get selected for the wallabies, it’d be nice to see the following.

Sa’aga
Rangi
Ainsley (I prefer Talakai but be nice for him to play in WA)
Phillip
Parling
Cottrell
Hardwick
Timani
Ruru
Adams
Naivalu
Meakes
English
Tupou
Debreczini

I’d love for Tuipulotu to get some time as well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rob Leota to step up next year?

May be the first of a few signings out of the Rebels squad to get below next year's salary cap. Who else is out of contract this year?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Can't understand why he wouldn't stick around for RWC 2019, unless he's been told he's not in the frame.

Shame, I wanted to see how he could shape nubmer 8, post Mafi.

Besides Leota, we've got RHP, Hardwick, Faiainga'a as reasonable options. Even Luke Jones has done well there before.

Big Esei Ha’angana is playing at 6 for the U20's so perhaps a positional switch for the big fella?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can't understand why he wouldn't stick around for RWC 2019, unless he's been told he's not in the frame.

Shame, I wanted to see how he could shape nubmer 8, post Mafi.

Besides Leota, we've got RHP, Hardwick, Faiainga'a as reasonable options. Even Luke Jones has done well there before.
He won't be in the frame. Samu has signed, Hanigan is better (which is pretty damning), McMahon will be available.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rob Leota to step up next year?

May be the first of a few signings out of the Rebels squad to get below next year's salary cap. Who else is out of contract this year?

We keep hearing about the Rebels salary cap issues (only from online posters) but who exactly is taking it up that isn't the equivalent of other clubs? There is obviously Genia, Koroibete, DHP and Coleman on a nice amount but that's no different to Beale, Foley, Folau, Kepu, Hooper or Sio, Pocock, AAT, Speight, Kurindrani, and Kerevi, Cooper, Higgers, Slipper and Hunt at the Reds. etc.

People i think forget that 18months ago players like Phillip, Ruru etc. were essentially amatuers, some still on their first deals.

My thoughts are it's just an opportunity for some to $h*t on them.

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
LT is more hype than substance unfortunately. Has only really turned it on once he's been relegated to the bench. That may have also coincided with a European contract being at stake.

Not sure we have a capable 8 replacement from within. Shame we didn't chase Naisirani last year or even better retain Valentini.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
On next year, i believe we actually have too many outside backs and 13 options. (DHP, Maddocks, Naivalu, Koroibete, Tupou, English, Hodge, Tuipulotu, Hutchinson) Tupou is well worth his salt for the 4th choice wing spot and Tuipulotu could very well end up a better player than Hodge or English. We need to find spots for both of these guys where they are regularly contesting the match day 23 otherwise they will look elsewhere. Considering its a wc year next year, personally believe it would be in Australia's interest if Sefa looked at a move to the Tahs to take over from big TN and focus on a dynamic 8/6 or a quality 10 with Mafi gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.