• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Union (ARU) - Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is as good a place as any for this. From Eastwood Rugby Club:

Strategic Plan update

Members and Supporters of Eastwood Rugby
I'm pleased to provide you with an update on the implementation of our Strategic Plan.
As you know we are a District Club and as a "District Club" in Sydney Rugby, we have 3 key functions:
  1. to provide an umbrella, coordinating function assisting other Rugby Clubs in our Region
  2. to grow and nurture the game
  3. and to run the senior rugby club in the region
Whilst we have been doing lots of work in a range of areas, it's the second of these functions that I'd like to focus on in this update.
Some background
It's no secret to any of us that our game is under threat from a number of issues; strong competition from other sports, changing demographics, change in focus from our governing bodies. In our District we are seeing the direct results of these issues.
Some decades ago, our Club had a formal development program - this unfortunately went by the wayside when the Club lost its main source of funding. So what we are doing now is kicking life back into a program that has been sadly dormant for some time
When we did the analysis for our Strategic Plan we looked at the critical issues for the game which will impact us in years to come. It will come as no surprise to any of you that we identified the lack of support at the grass roots as the most critical issue facing us
Our Response
We have decided to devote significant resources - financial and people - to doing what we can to help the foundations of our game.
Your Board has signed off on a 12 month Development Plan which will see us engage with junior clubs, with schools - junior and secondary - and with our communities. Our new Operations Manager has been given the task of delivering support and services where we can to help the game.. Already we have been closely involved with our junior representative teams, strengthened the connection to the NSWRU development officer for the region and commenced planning a formal Program to align kids from school programs with our Clubs.
As the Program unfolds, I'm looking forward to giving you regular updates on the progress we are making
We are very excited by this Program but we are not in any way blind to the challenges ahead of us. However, we are in it for the long haul, in it to make a difference. After all, if we don't invest in supporting and growing the game at the grass roots level, who is going to?

Rob Cusack
Chairman

Eastwood Rugby

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What was really interesting to me was that Cusack nominates the three biggest issues threatening our code:

1. Strong competition from other codes,

2. Changing demographics,

3. Change in focus from our governing bodies.

You do not get much closer to the grass roots than a District Club. Of these three major issues, the only one that RA or the NSWRU can do anything significant about is the third one.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is as good a place as any for this. From Eastwood Rugby Club:

Good for Eastwood. Looking to get proactive in the development side of the equation. Hopefully they have looked at things like the Rugby Roos program being run by a group out Manly way. Would be a good place to start. This is something I wouldn't mind seeing the governing bodies look to support by providing some financial backing for.

Ideally, Eastwood should be looking to build the depth in their junior and social ranks to the point they are backed by around 12 clubs in their region. Look to administer their own competition within their region and ensure there is a clear and tangible link between these clubs and Eastwood themselves. Schedule games in a manner that also promotes families taking the opportunity to go from junior games to wherever Eastwood end up to support their local team.

If all the clubs could do this then they'll be onto something.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eastwood is moving soon, further to the north west, because of the demographic changes that Cusack nominates second on the list of the three biggest problems.

There are limits to their ability to run competitions, I would imagine the biggest impediment is a shortage of volunteers to coach, referee, etc etc.

When I was a kid, many moons ago, I played in an under 16 competition at the old Eastwood Oval, there were four teams in it. The next step up was a single under 18 team, then a single under 21 team, both of which competed in competition with 6 or 8 other teams, Lindfield, Gordon, Hornsby, etc.

The coach/driver/organiser was a parent. Referees were kids, usually a year or two older than us. Touch judges did not exist.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Mitsubishi Estate will sponsor the domestic Wallabies tests for 2018 and 2019.

https://www.rugby.com.au/News/2018/...major-sponsor?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but this is moronic from RA. 95% of fans will hear 'Mitsubishi' and think of the car brand - Land Rover would be furious, and this will surely impact their decision to re-sign when that deal expires.

I get the need for a series sponsor and the $$$, but you've got to have integrity about it...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm sorry, but this is moronic from RA. 95% of fans will hear 'Mitsubishi' and think of the car brand - Land Rover would be furious, and this will surely impact their decision to re-sign when that deal expires.

I get the need for a series sponsor and the $$$, but you've got to have integrity about it.

I think this is an overreaction. It's going to be a logo on the field. Any further advertising run during games will be brand specific.

They're also one of the major sponsors of the RWC so it's not like the only time people will be hearing about it.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I think this is an overreaction. It's going to be a logo on the field. Any further advertising run during games will be brand specific.

They're also one of the major sponsors of the RWC so it's not like the only time people will be hearing about it.

And I get that. And I know we need the money. It's just the little things, and maybe my wording was a bit strong, but we continue to uppercut ourselves as a code. Not dissimilar to sending Meakes, Philip and Faulkner to Wallaby promos in the past 48 hours and then not picking them. Wouldn't happen in the AFL, who are the benchmark.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would be very surprised if Land Rover saw Mitsubishi as a rival.

Very different product profile, I would have thought.

They are a rival car brand in every possible sense, in the same way that McDonalds is a rival/alternative to Neil Perry's burger project

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They are a rival car brand in every possible sense, in the same way that McDonalds is a rival/alternative to Neil Perry's burger project

Not sure that this is a valid comparison. Burgers are an every day item for some people, an impulse buy for them. Does Neil Perry advertise in anything like the same way as Maccas, or to the same extent?

Cars are a bit different. They are certainly not something that anybody buys on impulse, unlike burgers, even upmarket burgers.

I suppose time will tell. I remain certain that RA would have reason to believe that this is in the best interests of the game.

This is the Positivity thread, after all.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Capture.PNG

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Who's to say that this alliance with the Mitsubishi group won't have a knock on effect? Looking at what they control, I'm sure you could find a few Japanese corporations such as Nissan that would happily take over sponsorship if their HQ directs it.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Positivity thread - It’s game day. A smorgasbord of games across the globe. Play safe everyone and have fun.

Go Wallabies!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And a packed out Suncorp was beautiful thing too see..With Sydney and Melbounre hopefully the same we may get some coin in the bank..Hopefully we get back the Bled then on too the cup win that prick too..

I might even hope for the Tahs too win a super rugby comp..might...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.