• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The ABC is pretty good. Maybe it is a generational thing. 730 report. Stan Grant. Insiders. Outsiders. The Drum occasionally. Compass. Annabel Crabbe. Back Roads. Charlie Pickering, Tom Gleeson, Kitty Flanagan. On and on. I could name a lot more. And we do have Foxtel, incidentally.

Now or satellite?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The ABC is pretty good. Maybe it is a generational thing. 730 report. Stan Grant. Insiders. Outsiders. The Drum occasionally. Compass. Annabel Crabbe. Back Roads. Charlie Pickering, Tom Gleeson, Kitty Flanagan. On and on. I could name a lot more. And we do have Foxtel, incidentally.
I rely on the written word for my news. Combination of a few mainstream papers and a variety of independent writers.

If i had a TV, though, i would primarily use it to watch the ABC and SBS.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We stopped watching Free to Air last year actually, best thing ever IMO, only watch the Rugby on FoxNow, everything else on my computer,

Jamie, I have one foot in the grave now having been born in the first half of last century, but I am pretty much in the same boat as you so far as tv viewing is concerned. Except that I do watch the SBS news regularly, I stream most rugby from Foxtel Now, and use the tv mainly otherwise for Netflix and On Demand services through the laptop.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Ha ha, I am sure you will be around for a while. Yep I actually like SBS and I think my wife has the app channel on her computer so she could watch the Midwife (?)

I know quite a few people feel strongly about Rugby being on FTA but I seriously think that is a thing of the past, I actually don't know how many new viewers you will get or even if the money will be there from the FTA broadcaster, perhaps I am wrong but the future is not FTA.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ha ha, I am sure you will be around for a while. Yep I actually like SBS and I think my wife has the app channel on her computer so she could watch the Midwife (?)

I know quite a few people feel strongly about Rugby being on FTA but I seriously think that is a thing of the past, I actually don't know how many new viewers you will get or even if the money will be there from the FTA broadcaster, perhaps I am wrong but the future is not FTA.
Yeah, it had to happen 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
just watching the state of origin rugby league boys walk out onto the MCG in front of about 80,000 - first of a series of three matches - neither team from this state. Advertising all week . People at my work who cant spell rugby league are going.
Oh and its FTA so available to the broader community
Rugby Australia - what are you doing to advertise the Wallabies v Ireland 3 game test? Why are we playing at 30,000 capacity AAMI park ? Why dont we have 80,000 fans coming to watch that game? Come on Raelene - what are you doing about it? You said you brought the big NRL ideas over with you - let's see them

Lou,

You do know that rugby league is actually much more popular than our game in this country?

Seriously, what ideas can we pinch from the NRL?

They have had 100 years of over our code

You simply cannot reverse the tide of history by wishing for change. Or talking about it. What would you do, given that we are in the real world, not a fantasy one where dreams come true.

I actually thought Australia held the record for the largest crowd ever for a rugby game. (and I am sure it beat that league crowd by a fair margin)

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I actually thought Australia held the record for the largest crowd ever for a rugby game. (and I am sure it beat that league crowd by a fair margin)

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I still remember the hype. A lot of water under the bridge since then, most of it flowing in the wrong direction.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
FTA

RUGBY: 2018 WALLABIES V IRELAND TEST LIVE Channel 10 358,000

WALLABIES V IRELAND TEST POST-MATCH LIVE Channel 10 361,000

More people watched the post game show over the game itself? How does that happen?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
More people watched the post game show over the game itself? How does that happen?
These numbers are the average number of people watching the program over the whole time it was scheduled.

Peaks for both will be a fair bit higher.

Just means more people were watching at the end of the match than before kick-off

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Tomorrow night will be interesting, RA kept the scheduled match in Melbourne at the same time, same night, and BTW AMMI park is not being used either Friday or Sunday. Move the game to a 18:00 kick off was also rejected as TWAS said media times had already been signed off. I still think with 7 months notice a 18:00 or 18:30 kick off was possible.

But as we attempt to show sponsors how good we are, we have an identical kick off time to the Socceroos V France WC game.

Time will tell if this was a smart or dumb decision.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tomorrow night will be interesting, RA kept the scheduled match in Melbourne at the same time, same night, and BTW AMMI park is not being used either Friday or Sunday. Move the game to a 18:00 kick off was also rejected as TWAS said media times had already been signed off. I still think with 7 months notice a 18:00 or 18:30 kick off was possible.

But as we attempt to show sponsors how good we are, we have an identical kick off time to the Socceroos V France WC game.

It was a dumb decision. Both sports lose potential viewers. I don't see why we need to wait to know that.

I follow both sports and i wanted to watch both matches live. I'm sure there are plenty like me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

So move it to the same time as the All Blacks game and piss off rugby fans around the world who were going to watch back to back tests?

A 3pm kick off (before the All Blacks game) would be 6am in Ireland/UK and would have presumably not been favourable for those viewers. Likewise Foxsports ratings would probably be less at 3pm with no conflict than at 8pm with the soccer conflict.

I think moving to the same time as the All Blacks game is a far worse conflict than the Socceroos game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was a dumb decision. Both sports lose potential viewers. I don't see why we need to wait to know that.

I follow both sports and i wanted to watch both matches live. I'm sure there are plenty like me.

Me and a few mates are setting up a revolutionary 'double screen' approach so we can watch both simultaneously.

I might never go back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have to go to a party with my wife and won't be watching either of them live. Pretty sure I won't be able to totally avoid what's going on and be able to watch them spoiler free once I get home.

It better be a bloody good party.

Status
Not open for further replies.