• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I was there so here are my thoughts.

Whilst the score was close, it did not reflect the game, CAS squandered several tries in the 1st half with the last pass.
It could easily have been 40+ at half time.
To their credit GPS did not give up and nearly pulled it off.

Credit to the CAS coaches, they played to their strengths, ie the back row.
Reimer, Moretti and Molloy won the breakdown, turnovers, and terrorized the more fancied GPS back line to the point that were clearly rattled.

The GPS set scrum piece was stronger imo, and the line outs pretty even.

The CAS back line played above what most people probably thought.
No.10 Edmed was a standout/superb, and the 2 Barker wingers were also superb.

I am biased but it was the first 10-15 minutes of Luca Moretti dominance that set the platform for the team to follow, and follow they did.

It was only 1 game, there will be plenty more opportunities to shine at Riverview shortly.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with Rod and WLF except that I think Moretti was probably Motm. Very physical in both attack and defence and his speed in cover defence when GPS 15 Mossman looked certain to score was as unexpected as it was impressive.

Whilst the CAS backrow definitely outplayed their counterparts, and perhaps unsettled their opposition as a whole, I think the win was in large part due to cas playing as a team from the outset. By comparison, some of the gps lads seemed to be keen to make a personal statement to the selectors, which can happen in rep trial footy when boys are looking for higher selection. When geeps started playing as a team after oranges and let the ball go through the hands, they looked dangerous and almost pulled back the deficit.

Geeps cause was given a significant fillip by the Red card handed to Cas 13 Lachlan Ilias (who had been playing great footy and did not seem intent on what happened next) for tackling gps 6 Wellington in the air, leaving the remaining 14 cas boys with 12 mins to hold out a resurgent geeps. That they succeeded is testament to their composure, an admirable show of character and yes, a brilliant solo defensive effort by Bryden on a flying Suaalli when it seemed impossible.

With a match up on Friday against what should be a strong ISA team, I hope that the boys have not ‘played their grand final’. Nonetheless, they should enjoy what has traditionally been a rare feat and feel proud of the way they fronted up when adversity asked the question.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
What a game for the CAS firsts.

A dominant first half performance lead by L Moretti the highlight. He was shoulders above every other player on the field.

The damage was done by half time and the GPS boys had to play catch up with CAS on cruise control. I would be surprised if the whole team isn’t in a NSW jersey somewhere.

The best on ground for CAS

Moretti a standout but 1-15 were outstanding.

Well done to all the Barker lads as well that showed how good they were. I have never seen Lochie Dring, or Pollard play.. they are NSW players through and through.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
What a game for the CAS firsts.

A dominant first half performance lead by L Moretti the highlight. He was shoulders above every other player on the field.

The damage was done by half time and the GPS boys had to play catch up with CAS on cruise control. I would be surprised if the whole team isn’t in a NSW jersey somewhere.

The best on ground for CAS

Moretti a standout but 1-15 were outstanding.

Well done to all the Barker lads as well that showed how good they were. I have never seen Lochie Dring, or Pollard play.. they are NSW players through and through.

I agree with CatchnPass and Running Rugby 1954,

The subtlety to me,which can often go unnoticed because it may not be so obvious, was the first 10-15 mins softening up period. This was when Luca Moretti came out, was super aggressive in running,tackling, ball pilfering etc, more than likely a result of playing higher level last year. This showed the way, and Reimer, Molloy etc 1-15 believed in themselves and followed suit. As a unit, it is clear now why the Barker team is most certainly the real deal!

I don't agree with Come on ref, that CAS were lucky to win, today the better team, for the vast majority of the match, won.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting afternoon of Rugby.

Conditions were absolutely perfect and some wonderful rugby was played, however it was also very surprising to me how much dropped ball & basic errors there were. Particularly by CAS.

CAS were so dominant in the first half, and GPS completely rattled, that it felt like GPS were in for an absolute flogging. At about the 20min mark in the first half CAS lead 24-0. Then the CAS boys relaxed (in my view). Instead of building phases and working the opposition, they started trying to score off first phase and push the pass. This was the "foot off the accelerator" moment that the GPS boys needed, and it allowed them to get back into the game.
For the entire second half, CAS very rarely managed to hold onto the ball for more than 3 phases & t
o GPS's credit, they made a real game of it in the end and nearly snatched it.

In the end the better side definitely won, but if I was a selector, the amount of basic handling error's in perfect conditions would be a bit puzzling.

To the players:
GPS props too strong and controlled the scrum (noticeable when Bell came off)
Hooker - Battle easily won by Pollard
Second Row - Pretty even.
Back Row - CAS clearly dominant
Half Back - Points to Tejcek
5/8 - Edmed clearly outplayed Savala, although more even in second half (Minogue in GPS 2nd's better IMO)
Centres - Points to the CAS lads
Wingers - Brydon & Sua'ali'i
Fullback - Neither player had much influence (Connolly from GPS 2nd's better than both IMO)

Will be interesting to see how they go on Friday with such a short turn around. Will be a very tough game against ISA.

S

sidelineview

That's the news I got: that Moretti terrorised GPS in the first half and inspired his teammates who all stood up.
And they hung on for the last 10 minutes with 14 players, so it sounded like a very impressive performance.

Reactions: WLF

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
IMO Bolivia has it about right, along with Rollin Maul over on GPS site with these selections:

Bell - GPS 1
2 Pollard - CAS 1
3 McLennan - GPS 1
4 Dring - CAS 1
5 Williams - GPS 1
6 Harris - GPS 1
7 Reimer - CAS 1
8 Morretti - CAS 1
9 Tejcek - CAS 1
10 Edmed - CAS 1
11 Bryden - CAS 1
12 Minogue - GPS 2
13 Ilias - CAS 1
14 Tricks - GPS 2
15 Connolly - GPS 2

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
NSW won’t be made of just CAS and GPS boys though..

But if you are picking the best of the day, agree that looks pretty good.

Add in Donny Freeman(ISA), Ada(ISA) at 15, Saunders at 3 (CHS) Walton(CHS) on a wing Mackenzie(ISA) at 12 Winchester (AICES) at 2 and that’s a quality team...

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Bell (GPS)
2. Winchester (AICES)
3. Saunders (CHS)
4. Dring (CAS)
5. Williams (GPS)
6. Harrison (GPS)
7. Freeman (ISA)
8. Moretti (CAS)
9. Tejcek (CAS)
10. Wilson (ISA)
11. Walton (CHS)
12. Mackenzie (ISA)
13. Ilias (CAS)
15. Ada (ISA)

meat1head

Peter Burge (5)
1. Bell (GPS)
2. Poallard/Bremner
3. Saunders (CHS)
4. Dring (CAS)
5. Williams (GPS)
6. Harrison (GPS)
7. Freeman (ISA)
8. Moretti (CAS)
9. Tejcek (CAS)
10. Edmed (CAS)
11. Walton (CHS)
12. Mackenzie (ISA)
13. Ilias (CAS)
14. ???
15. Ada (ISA)
Bremner playing for Gordon 1st Grade Colts, left school last year

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Plenty of ISA & CHS boys will be in the mix. Maybe even some other association bolters.

5/8 Wilson from ISA, just to name one, is a class above all IMO

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
NSW won’t be made of just CAS and GPS boys though..

But if you are picking the best of the day, agree that looks pretty good.

Add in Donny Freeman(ISA), Ada(ISA) at 15, Saunders at 3 (CHS) Walton(CHS) on a wing Mackenzie(ISA) at 12 Bremner (NSWJRU) at 2 and that’s a quality team.

I think it's way too early to list a team, but I most certainly would add WILSON (ISA) (Auggies) no.10, he is really something if he can control himself.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting afternoon of Rugby.

Conditions were absolutely perfect and some wonderful rugby was played, however it was also very surprising to me how much dropped ball & basic errors there were. Particularly by CAS.

CAS were so dominant in the first half, and GPS completely rattled, that it felt like GPS were in for an absolute flogging. At about the 20min mark in the first half CAS lead 24-0. Then the CAS boys relaxed (in my view). Instead of building phases and working the opposition, they started trying to score off first phase and push the pass. This was the "foot off the accelerator" moment that the GPS boys needed, and it allowed them to get back into the game.
For the entire second half, CAS very rarely managed to hold onto the ball for more than 3 phases & t
o GPS's credit, they made a real game of it in the end and nearly snatched it.

In the end the better side definitely won, but if I was a selector, the amount of basic handling error's in perfect conditions would be a bit puzzling.

To the players:
GPS props too strong and controlled the scrum (noticeable when Bell came off)
Hooker - Battle easily won by Pollard
Second Row - Pretty even.
Back Row - CAS clearly dominant
Half Back - Points to Tejcek
5/8 - Edmed clearly outplayed Savala, although more even in second half (Minogue in GPS 2nd's better IMO)
Centres - Points to the CAS lads
Wingers - Brydon & Sua'ali'i
Fullback - Neither player had much influence (Connolly from GPS 2nd's better than both IMO)

Will be interesting to see how they go on Friday with such a short turn around. Will be a very tough game against ISA.

Superb summation,

Maybe the next Gordon Bray!

Status
Not open for further replies.