• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Hurricanes, Super Rugby Wk 17, 2018 Sat 30 June 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brumbies attack lacked shape at times although it had some flashes, but their defence was starchy, and they stuck well to the task and just closed the Canes out of it. On that performance, it's hard to see why the Brumbies aren't higher. Very good win.

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
Brumbies attack lacked shape at times although it had some flashes, but their defence was starchy, and they stuck well to the task and just closed the Canes out of it. On that performance, it's hard to see why the Brumbies aren't higher. Very good win.
Pack has been great this year, its been the backs, Banks had a slow start, Harewa has only been useful off the Bench, Speight and Kuridrani (even though the latter had a good game) have been shadows of consistant selves. Godwin and Muirehead have only been the ones to show a bit more than they have any other year.

M10

Stan Wickham (3)
Enjoyed the game, but concerned it strengthens McKellar's position. Could he be an OK coach in sheep's clothing? We might get next year to find out on the back of that performance...and that may not be a good thing

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
Enjoyed the game, but concerned it strengthens McKellar's position. Could he be an OK coach in sheep's clothing? We might get next year to find out on the back of that performance.and that may not be a good thing
he's done better than Brad Thorn. I don't even know what the brumbies look like next year is Lilo sticking around, we've been useless without him in 10.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
he's done better than Brad Thorn. I don't even know what the brumbies look like next year is Lilo sticking around, we've been useless without him in 10.
Has Lilo retired from international footy? I was very mildly surprised he didnt get into the squad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Since when are you allowed to stand offside Ina. Ruck and knock the ball out of the half backs hands? Happened more then once in this game. Plus why is it that the hurricanes can loose the ball or knock it out of someone's hand and the refs do everything they can to look at it and say it's backwards but when naisarni was short and the ball went backwards they didn't even bother to notice and called it a knock on?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Why do the refs all lick TJ's arse? How many warnings can they get ? And get away with ?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
And then they are offside again their own try line. No yellow card. Regardless that they scored a try it's still a yellow. They get away with murder when in their own 22 giving away cynical penalties.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Th amount of crap off the ball on Pocock wow.

Pretty gutsy win for the Brumbies. Considering everything went against them

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Powell is terrible though. He needs to go. Ruru needs to go to the Brumbies. Or maybe Lowrance. Where did he go ?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Louwrens has gone off shore, maybe Japan I think. A pity. He was the better player (than Ruru) when fit for the Force.

On this year's performances. I would take Joe Powell over Ruru any day of the week.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Powell is the worst half back out of the lot imo. He gave that try to tj at the start.

Brumbies need a better half back. Not sure what they will do at 10 next year

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Powell is the worst half back out of the lot imo. He gave that try to tj at the start.

Brumbies need a better half back. Not sure what they will do at 10 next year

Spot on Shiggins. You like many picked up on how poor Powell is. The try to TJ; the long pass - WTF was he thinking? If only an experience player like Pocock had been at first receiver he would not have let Powell make a long pass on the try-line. He would have positioned himself closer.:rolleyes:

Then the rest of the game Powell failed to stop the first receiver lining up a significant distance way from the break down time after time all through the game. Its like he was just following a game plan and attacking pattern that was obviously in place. Stupidly if he had of taken of his tinted glasses after TJ's try he would have seen the positioning and not stupidly be repeating the same play over and over. I mean how many time did it happen again?:mad:

All Powell fault! How is he anywhere near the Wallibies?

But in all seriousness the Brumbies don't have an issue with 10 next year, So far this year we have managed without a 10 so with 25% of the squad leaving next year (as McKellar has told the media) it will be another shambolic rebuilding exercise.:eek:

There is a chance he might play the 10 they do have on the roster who is half decent with a game plan that suits him and the right backs around him. But that will be more by force or accident rather than McKellar choice or based on his competence.

Last nights game showed that there is plenty of talent in that squad. The question is how has McKellar squandered and suppressed it more than Larkham ever could?

They out played the Canes playing like the Canes. They finally stopped the idiotic kicking and played with ball in hand and took some chances. Fantastic, but 17 rounds in to the season for the coach to finally work out they can play like this and with a game play like this (which I don't think was an intentional game plan last night).

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Spot on Shiggins. You like many picked up on how poor Powell is. The try to TJ; the long pass - WTF was he thinking? If only an experience player like Pocock had been at first receiver he would not have let Powell make a long pass on the try-line. He would have positioned himself closer.:rolleyes:

Then the rest of the game Powell failed to stop the first receiver lining up a significant distance way from the break down time after time all through the game. Its like he was just following a game plan and attacking pattern that was obviously in place. Stupidly if he had of taken of his tinted glasses after TJ's try he would have seen the positioning and not stupidly be repeating the same play over and over. I mean how many time did it happen again?:mad:

All Powell fault! How is he anywhere near the Wallibies?

But in all seriousness the Brumbies don't have an issue with 10 next year, So far this year we have managed without a 10 so with 25% of the squad leaving next year (as McKellar has told the media) it will be another shambolic rebuilding exercise.:eek:

There is a chance he might play the 10 they do have on the roster who is half decent with a game plan that suits him and the right backs around him. But that will be more by force or accident rather than McKellar choice or based on his competence.

Last nights game showed that there is plenty of talent in that squad. The question is how has McKellar squandered and suppressed it more than Larkham ever could?

They out played the Canes playing like the Canes. They finally stopped the idiotic kicking and played with ball in hand and took some chances. Fantastic, but 17 rounds in to the season for the coach to finally work out they can play like this and with a game play like this (which I don't think was an intentional game plan last night).
I just hate the fact that powell was picked over Gordan for the 3rd test. Mind boggling. In that third test we really saw how poor chekia is at time with selection. Hennagin, Powell, Simmons, Phipps. No idea what they are thinking

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)

A lot of what you have said here I heard in discussions around me in the walk back to the car after the match. The vibe of the crowd was that the way that the Brumbies played was what they had been waiting to see all season.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But still not super great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah, he was the form Aus halfback last year, and he’s had some really great games this year although form has been a bit more mixed, but still equal second in the competition for try assists.

He’s definitely one of the top three halfbacks in the country.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have to say that I am surprised that Evans wasn't cited for the neck roll cleanout and head plant on Pocock. Nothing accidental about that manoeuvre, and in my eyes at least was foul play. Seems like Evans might have a technique or attitude issue that could come back to bite him if he doesn't do something about it. Very lucky man to get out of this game with just a warning.

There was a period in the second half where a whole sequence of tackles/rucks involved head high tackles (ie above or around the shoulders) on Brumbies' players; maybe five or six in a row. Most of them probably deserving of a penalty but all went without sanction. The Canes are fast falling from their spot as my favourite NZ side with their ill-discipline, penalised or not. [

Status
Not open for further replies.