• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
When the Chairman of the QRU says "We want Brad Thorn as a 10-year head coach but it's up to us to create the right high-performance environment for him to want to" I'd say that's a fairly emphatic signal that the QRU do actually want Thorn to coach at Ballymore for the next decade.

I cannot fathom why any organisation would signal such intent?

The article also references the mythical creature 'cultural change'. How is this measured? Apparently through "commitment and pride" as Miller mentions in the article.

Is this really evident?

I can just imagine the line in this year's annual report:

"Although it didn't naturally translate to sustained positive outcomes in performance, our commitment and pride was through the fucking roof which can only mean a golden decades awaits us."

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yes it may only be an invitation to treat at this stage but that's the first stage in most contracting processes so it's a logical progression and one which would be unprecedented even in the Pantheon of QRU dark-side of the moon decision making.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes it may only be an invitation to treat at this stage but that's the first stage in most contracting processes so it's a logical progression and one which would be unprecedented even in the Pantheon of QRU dark-side of the moon decision making.

Cmon you and I both know they won’t offer him a 10 year contract. They don’t have the money for starters and have suffered from cutting other coach contracts.

It’s a vision statement. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Cmon you and I both know they won’t offer him a 10 year contract. They don’t have the money for starters and have suffered from cutting other coach contracts.

And, if so, a totally fucking stupid one that lacks substance, makes no sense and reflects poorly on the judgement of he who makes it. Especially when coupled with all the other rubbish.

When will the board of the QRU act like grown-up leaders and take responsibility for their endless debacles and then set about repairing and improving itself in a genuine manner?

Edit: And btw, it would be just like the known QRU to now lurch into a 'we must stop the HC churn and hold on to a current HC for many years so's we can all build a high-performance system' and effect this dictum until 2024 irrespective of whether or not the 'current HC' was capable or not of leading the team to success.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
“We are still on track to make a small profit this year so that was a request to smooth cash flow when you don’t have a home game for four weeks,” Miller said.

mmmmm weren't like 2010-2013 the only profitable years? Would love to know what creative accounting has taken place

They got rid of alot of staff in the last couple years

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I’m not as down on Thorn as others here. I think that there has been an improvement in the team, but that he really needs better assistants to get to the next level.

We've gone full circle here folks.

It wasn't all that long ago we were saying the same thing about Graham.

If you want to see what a good coach can do in a short period of time; have a look at how Jake White turned around the Brumbies or Ewen with the Reds in 2010 in his first year in charge. Thorne is not a good coach.

A lemon is still a lemon if you paint it orange.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
We've gone full circle here folks.

It wasn't all that long ago we were saying the same thing about Graham.

If you want to see what a good coach can do in a short period of time; have a look at how Jake White turned around the Brumbies or Ewen with the Reds in 2010 in his first year in charge. Thorne is not a good coach.

A lemon is still a lemon if you paint it orange.

Indeed jj. And just btw that's what makes Miller's declamations re 'had too much Reds HC churn' so laughable.

They kept Graham on year over year and on again even though the most basic of rugby analysts could soon see he was an awful Super Rugby HC that had virtually driven the team into the ground and single-handedly more or less destroyed the external market and team skills achievements of the Link period.

They even renewed him after one of their distinguished 'global searches' supposedly aimed at finding someone better.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
Keep in mind it's not possible for any one individual to turn around an organisation, they can inspire, lead and develop the people in an organisation so the group can bring about the changes required to be successful but it takes way more then the efforts of one person and it takes more then 12 months.

We have Thorn lets accept that, and accept any coach will probably need 3 seasons to do anything meaningful if they have the right support structures in place. I honestly think the issues are with the QRU back office more then anything and a total lack of authentic leadership.

I can buy into Thorn if we see some action at the QRU that signals they are serious about change.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

They could have stated ":we aim to be the type of organisation that coaching staff and players want to stick with for 10 years", or "We think that building an organisation around a core group of people that remain here for the long term will yield good outcomes".

But they didn't. They directly mentioned one individual by name and duration.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Keep in mind it's not possible for any one individual to turn around an organisation, they can inspire, lead and develop the people in an organisation so the group can bring about the changes required to be successful but it takes way more then the efforts of one person and it takes more then 12 months.

We have Thorn lets accept that, and accept any coach will probably need 3 seasons to do anything meaningful if they have the right support structures in place. I honestly think the issues are with the QRU back office more then anything and a total lack of authentic leadership.

I can buy into Thorn if we see some action at the QRU that signals they are serious about change.
Jake White ..Brumbies..one man from nearly dead last too challenging for the final in about 12 months.. Chekia - Tahs one year then wins the comp.. Link - Reds .. you get the picture..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They could have stated ":we aim to be the type of organisation that coaching staff and players want to stick with for 10 years", or "We think that building an organisation around a core group of people that remain here for the long term will yield good outcomes".

Because he’s the current coach obviously. The last thing they want to do at a time like this is indicate more turmoil. Potential recruits don’t want to hear that.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I think you're arguing about semantics here. While I see what you're referring to, I have a feeling Miller was backed into a corner with his question. While the journo didn't include it, I'm sure it would have been something along the lines of "how has Thorn performing in your eyes" or "how long do you see Thorn coaching the Reds".

If Miller gave the answer you're referring to, we'd be gossiping about the next Balleymore carpark search being underway.

It strangely feels similar to the same level of scrutiny EPL managers, players, coaches are under in their replies. People dissect sentences into the nth level.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you're arguing about semantics here. While I see what you're referring to, I have a feeling Miller was backed into a corner with his question. While the journo didn't include it, I'm sure it would have been something along the lines of "how has Thorn performing in your eyes" or "how long do you see Thorn coaching the Reds".

If Miller gave the answer you're referring to, we'd be gossiping about the next Balleymore carpark search being underway.

It strangely feels similar to the same level of scrutiny EPL managers, players, coaches are under in their replies. People dissect sentences into the nth level.

I get what you're saying, but cannot fathom how anyone could take Jeff Miller's response of "10 years" as anything other than pants on head insane.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess the thing about Taylor is that he has actually coached men! For at least 7 years. Thorn's coaching experience (rather than some random helping out as he played) was all Under 20s and then last year's NRC.

As for the model you suggest about Reds assistant coaches, that's pretty much the model they've used in the past (not strictly but close enough to). And they've also used club coaches at the same time as NRC support (and last year when Mick Heenan was Brisbane coach).

Fair call regarding Taylor and his coaching experience. I am just a little skeptical when coaches haven't been given the opportunity to be "the man". Also it seems not nearly the number of defensive coaches make the jump to HC compared with attack coaches.

Have Country named their coaches yet? Hopefully Carroza is HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.