• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 19 - Waratahs v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Taqele demonstrating why he'll never be a test rugby playet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
No Taqele been on improvement trajectory so I disagree...but now he is buggering off we will never know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Good game of rugby? Tahs barely made a tackle all game . Ask the player group what they thought , That was absolute rubbish from a team who were playing for second spot and a potential home semifinal. What was the missed tackle count? What was the turnover count??? Ask everyone who paid to go and left in disgust after yet another Brumby try after the Tahs didn’t want to get their hands dirty. Hoopers interview at half time was the chance to get the crowd in next week. Should have been in sheds blowing his top. NZ are laughing at us.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Huge game from the Brumbies when it didn't matter.

Arnold's were immense and did well. Rory Arnold packing at 6 was interesting towards the end of the game.

Tom Banks should be playing in Gold soon.

Waratahs looked very disjointed and their leaders didn't step up to sort out their problems early enough. They need to have a good week at training and get in the right mindset or will get rolled next week.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Good game of rugby? Tahs barely made a tackle all game . Ask the player group what they thought , That was absolute rubbish from a team who were playing for second spot and a potential home semifinal. What was the missed tackle count? What was the turnover count??? Ask everyone who paid to go and left in disgust after yet another Brumby try after the Tahs didn’t want to get their hands dirty. Hoopers interview at half time was the chance to get the crowd in next week. Should have been in sheds blowing his top. NZ are laughing at us.

That's how a spotted it too. Tahs wouldn't tackle, It was over after 10 minutes as it never really got better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Credit to the Brumbies. They really turned up and took their chances.

The Tahs let in some soft tries and played well below the level required in an important game. They've made their path towards the final much harder now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
It looked like to me that Daryl had worked them over big time this week as they were exhausted prior to half time. Hands on hips, walking slowly and no kick chasers.

I reckon he trained them too hard and there was nothing left in the tank. To see the gaps in the back line and through the middle was so uncharacteristic.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One aspect about the Brumbies new found game approach that hasn't had much of a mention, is the improvement and intensity of their forwards play. So many short off loads especially by the two Arnolds, which put huge pressure on the Tahs defense and led to multiple line breaks and at least one try to Isi Naisarani. It is very NZesque and now that they are getting better at it, very effective.

A couple of downsides. The number of injuries suffered by the Brumbies was sad to see. Any news on TK's shoulder (I think) which he injured late in the game. Tackling Naiyaravoro is hazardous to health and wellbeing. Just ask Henry and TK.

Then there are the reported players leaving at the end of the year. Just when the game plan is gelling and all the players are showing season best form, a large number will be off to other places. I am having trouble imagining Richie Arnold playing in Japan. He stands out here, but stereotypes apart, he will be just like Godzilla over there.

On the upside, the coaching seems to have improved over the year, or players are just coming to terms with the changes being implemented. Tom Banks must surely now be the first cab off the rank to come into the Wallabies' game day 23. Joe Powell took another step towards being the bench No 9 for the Wallabies. Folau Fainga'a is Wallaby ready. TK is back in form and showed a good off loading aspect to his play that has been missing up til now. Pocock also showed more aspects to his game than he usually has. He broke the line on occasions; he was effective with his linking and passing game; and he also off loaded when the opportunity allowed. A fantastic all round game from our very best No 7.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
On the upside, the coaching seems to have improved over the year, or players are just coming to terms with the changes being implemented. Tom Banks must surely now be the first cab off the rank to come into the Wallabies' game day 23.

Banks is the best player we have at exploiting holes and mismatches when given a bit of space, similar to a Mckenzie or Beauden Barrett.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with your player assessments above BR.

We have a very nice selection headache brewing in our lock stocks (even allowing for our differing views of Simmons). Amazing what a difference 2 years can make.

Banks really impresses me. I think DHP, Koriobete & Hodge locked down their test jerseys at the moment, but I look forward to him getting his shot when it comes.

Of all of those above, the surge in TKs form is probably the most important to the Wallabies.

On a seperate note, it is a bit of a shame that Godwin left his best until it is all too late.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree with your player assessments above BR.

We have a very nice selection headache brewing in our lock stocks (even allowing for our differing views of Simmons). Amazing what a difference 2 years can make.

Banks really impresses me. I think DHP, Koriobete & Hodge locked down their test jerseys at the moment, but I look forward to him getting his shot when it comes.

Of all of those above, the surge in TKs form is probably the most important to the Wallabies.

On a seperate note, it is a bit of a shame that Godwin left his best until it is all too late.
Wish this bloke did all that amazing shit when it might've meant something other than ruining the Tahs for the finals.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No Taqele been on improvement trajectory so I disagree.but now he is buggering off we will never know.

The bloke is the biggest man in the universe and he couldnt tackle a fly.

Edit: tackling a fly actually sounds pretty hard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ahhh. Bastille Day, what a day. Started out with Crepes for breakfast, followed by mini quiches for lunch and Cassoulet and Cherry Cafloudis for dinner, washed down with a Cote du Rhone, Les Soeurs de Bonpas. All topped off with a brilliant if belated win by the Brumbies.

Vive la France.

Reactions: TSR

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One aspect about the Brumbies new found game approach that hasn't had much of a mention, is the improvement and intensity of their forwards play. So many short off loads especially by the two Arnolds, which put huge pressure on the Tahs defense and led to multiple line breaks and at least one try to Isi Naisarani. It is very NZesque and now that they are getting better at it, very effective.

On the upside, the coaching seems to have improved over the year, or players are just coming to terms with the changes being implemented.

It was inevitable that their had to be some improvement to the forwards play and a step up in McKellar's coaching noting everybody could see his game plan was pathetic.

From late Feb:
Interesting post game comments by McKellar. Stats don't appear to reflect his observations and even Kafer and Co discussed the habitual "one up" carries and the desperate need of the Brumbies to move away from that bad habit during the game.

"In the first half we were probably a bit too cute, we were passing at times when we needed to carry," McKellar said.

"[We need to] have our bigger blokes carry the football and force the defence to commit and compress, then take advantage. In the first 20 minutes we were probably looking to force that a little bit".

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...te-in-super-rugby-opener-20180225-h0wlzo.html

^^^^It was about the same time he was did an interview and was banging in about the forwards taking the tackle to draw defenders in etc to create attacking opportunities. Really really basic club level stuff.

His lack of pre-season preparation and being indecisive about combination during the trials etc emanating in a lack of cohesion and he pulled back on the offloads and intensity from the forwards and its taken until late season for the players (IMVHO) to disregard him somewhat out of frustration and just play; and its started working.

I think what we are finally seeing after many season of repression is the players being allowed to play and use their natural skills and as a team. There appears to be some game plan (in defence yes, attack bits only) but it been more about individual players skills and certain combinations exploiting opportunities and playing whats in front of them. Its why we are inconsistent. We have patches of great play then it shuts down.

We are the poor version of the old Canes. They could play brilliantly and score etc. But they were inconsistent and when it was a close grind and required all hands they didn't know how to attack etc. IIRC after a change in coach showed them how to keep the natural flair and add in a good game plan and ability to grind out wins and work over teams they become the powerhouse they are now. IMHO that a beyond McKeller's abilities to get to that point in the next 2 seasons. Sadly we had the right cattle this year as we all have seen on the last few weeks.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah and that left foot step that he was known for in his first year at the Force finally started working again. Man I wish the Brumbies had managed to knock over the Jaugares in Canberra they'd have been a real darkhorse in the finals.
Brumbies dropped some mid season games they should have won that really hurt them. A real shame.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^^^
I feel as well at the start of the season there was a lot of hype around the forward pack and with Speight and Kurindrani in the backline it was just expected that they would play well without having a discernible game plan. Low and behold a few games in and there were a few injuries in the pack, guys like Speight, Kurindrani, and even Banks weren’t firing, and they were stuck playing this odd style where they wanted to throw the ball around but had no enterprise in attack and at the same time they had moved away from the traditionally strong set piece game. As the season has progressed I feel like they have developed more of a game plan to implement a more unstructured style of play rather than just saying “we want to play unstructured football” and just expecting it to happen if they heaved it out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.