• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
BEST TEAM MAN AWARDS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIPS
by ASRU on July 14, 2018 in News
The Sugerman – McLean Awards are given to the player who has been the best team man in each of the 8 teams at the Championships.

They are named after two Doctors who gave long and valuable service to Australian Schools Rugby. Both died relatively young.

These are amongst the most respected awards in Schools Rugby

This year’s awardees are-–

NSW 1 Luke Reimer
NSW 2 David Tejcek
QLD 1 Zane Nonggorr
QLD 2 Zac Crothers
Vic Charlie Carter
WA Darcey Hinkley
ACT Samuel Mickelson
Combined States Maea Fonua
https://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2018/news/best-team-awards-for-the-championships/

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
John Downes played 8 for QLD White in the under 16s in 2017 and converted to prop to make the Ashgrove First XV in 2018. Australian under 15 weight lifting champion.

Now selected as LHP in the Aussie squad. Well done

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thought dutallis . was at Riverview?

Either way bagged 3 good tries today

I thought Dutaillis was great today - and yes, a Riverview lad. I thought Fred Fewtrell was a bit hard done by to not make it, especially with a QLDII bloke picked ahead of him.

My highlight reel players from the two days I went and watched were Moretti (what a wonderful talent - best schoolboy backrower I've seen in a long while), Walton (a very mature rugby brain - never seems to take the wrong option), Angus Bell - the prop (to be so good in open play as well as in the tight - you don't often get both), Will Harris (the size and pace to play lock and back row), Tom van der Schyff (another lock/backrow hybrid with great skills), Carter Gordon (there's a touch of the Larkham's about him - never hurried, all class), Billy Pollard (I love the hooker/backrower hybrid - like Bell he's good in the tight and open field), and I do like David Tejcek for his crispness around the breakdown - I've heard great things about Seb Strang, but I'm not sure he played at his best when I watched.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Yes the Vic lad was a standout. I expect he will be in the starting schoolboy XV. This is a really good group of players. I will be watching the test series with interest this year. I think this group of players can take the kiwis.they have size and strength in the forwards along with s bit of mongrel that comes from the CAS lads in Pollard Zmoretti and Reimer. With the athleticism of Williams and Harris and a back line that can A tackle but B score tries from anywhere, I say watch out kiwis. The Aust schoolboys are back

Yes Rod, was thinking exactly the same.
This forward pack has size, skill, speed and plenty of mongrel.
This will be our year!

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to all players selected.
There'll be disappointments, but I thought Jangala Bennet QLD I was a special.
There were some good wingers competing but him and Tricks were the best wingers of the tournament imo.

Liam Stone from VIC could consider himself unlucky as well.

But the question is: who do you leave out?

Maybe they're still a chance of being called into the squad later.

I agree with you there sidelineview, both Bennet and Stone were very unlucky not to of made the squad. imo Stone was the standout Openside Flanker of the tournament so hopefully these two lads do get a call up at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I note that no one from combined states made it ... not even their 8

And I know before tournament some thought they would go alright

Then the wheels started to fall off ... with sualli injury omitted

Anyone think there are CS players unlucky?

Werent there people rapping Wellington and Hutchinson-Walters?

I aren't trying to stir pot, just didn't see enough of games

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I note that no one from combined states made it . not even their 8

And I know before tournament some thought they would go alright

Then the wheels started to fall off . with sualli injury omitted

Anyone think there are CS players unlucky?

Werent there people rapping Wellington and Hutchinson-Walters?

I aren't trying to stir pot, just didn't see enough of games
I rated the CS 3 as a special from day 1.. he is very similar to Angus Bell (1) from NSW1. I also thought Bryden was fantastic in defence but just did not get the opportunity in attack. With s better back line inside him he is as good as Tricks and Dutallis in attack.. Jude Gibbs was another that stood out for mine.

justamum

Frank Row (1)
I don't understand how Brisbane kids are typically younger in their final year?

Someone please explain that?

Some of the Queensland forwards looked like 20 year olds

In QLD you started school the year you turned 5, whether that be in Jan or December it didn’t matter. As of 2019 most boys will be in line with the rest of the country due to an age change within the QLD education system. As for the forwards looking like 20 year olds, they have looked that way since U12’s. Some of us in QLD wonder the same thing......./

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I think this is the first year the selectors haven't received a deluge of criticism for their selections.
A few disappointments and some disagreement but that is inevitable with those on the cusp where selection could have gone either way.
Smart too announcing a squad and giving themselves time to divide the boys at a later stage.
Incentive to all and a chance to see how some of them develop as the season progresses.
What proved highly effective for NSW this year was selecting a pack that were all highly mobile and skilled ball players.
I firmly believe this is the key to challenging the kiwis.
The tall lanky kids for the line out and enormous overweight props in the scrums present limitations around the field.
8 mobile ball players is what we need.
Looking forward to seeing these boys pull on the green and gold.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree Wristman. Fitness strength mobility and skill are the elements that one this tournament for NSW.. yes you need strong lads to do the set piece, but mobility and the ability to run all day and win 2nd to 15 phases straight iscwgat wins games

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Agree as well Wristman but would add it is relatively rare to have guys like Bell, Harris, Moretti etc. which makes the selectors’ job easier.

Knoxdad_89

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to all the boys selected. However IMO Jangala Bennet was absolutely robbed not to make the 40 man squad. If he was not one of the best if not the best winger at this years championship I must of watched a different tournament. He should consider himself extremely unlucky, There’s no doubt in my mind that we will see much more from this young man in the future I’m sure he will prove the selectors wrong.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Harry Vella ( 1, 3 ) - QLD 1
Will Roche ( 7 ) - QLD 1
Lachlan Albert ( 9 ) NSW 1
Carter Gordon ( 10 ) - QLD 1
Reesjan Pasiota ( 12/10 ) - QLD 1
John Connolly ( 12 / 15 ) - NSW 1
Daniel Ala ( 15 ) - NSW 2

From U16 Australian Merit Team in 2017 to 2018 Schoolboys Squad

Well done

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Update from the Div 2 Nationals and Gold Coast Rugby Carnival

Day 4 - A very successful day for NSWJRU U18s against some good competition. The boys had a physical game against a large Auckland schools team - Pakuranga, winning 34-0. For most of boys they faced their first Haka. Then backed up straight after in what was a tough schedule to post a good win against South Australia 38-0.
Good luck to the NSWJRU. They seem a handy side.

But out of interest, what's the status of the "Div II Australian Schools Rugby Championship" now?

It seems that, as of this year, it doesn't really exist. SA and Tas did send state schoolboy teams. But the NT and Lloyd McDermott teams no longer compete, and there's no mention of any comp winner as such, particularly on the ASRU website.

Instead, there are "friendly" matches against an assortment of school/junior sides having fun at the Gold Coast Carnival.

This is not an elite event; all teams are welcome regardless of their playing ability.​
… Sunday 8th July will be the first of the normal three day 15-aside Carnival but will take the form of a grading day for teams participating in the whole event and will also allow others to enjoy one or two “friendlies” against teams of similar standard.​
There is no overall champion at our Carnival – one deserving group each year is presented with the coveted Spirit Award​

Which is fair enough, I suppose.

But I reckon the old Div II has effectively been shelved. Thoughts?

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good luck to the NSWJRU. They seem a handy side.

But out of interest, what's the status of the "Div II Australian Schools Rugby Championship" now?

It seems that, as of this year, it doesn't really exist. SA and Tas did send state schoolboy teams. But the NT and Lloyd McDermott teams no longer compete, and there's no mention of any comp winner as such, particularly on the ASRU website.

Instead, there are "friendly" matches against an assortment of school/junior sides having fun at the Gold Coast Carnival.

This is not an elite event; all teams are welcome regardless of their playing ability.​
… Sunday 8th July will be the first of the normal three day 15-aside Carnival but will take the form of a grading day for teams participating in the whole event and will also allow others to enjoy one or two “friendlies” against teams of similar standard.​
There is no overall champion at our Carnival – one deserving group each year is presented with the coveted Spirit Award​

Which is fair enough, I suppose.

But I reckon the old Div II has effectively been shelved. Thoughts?
Definitely not a div2 championship anymore..the scoring was altered with 4 point tries and 1 point field goal conversions, no penalty kicks or field goals either even the old winners kick off . As part of one of the sides there the NSWJRU side was head and shoulders above the rest of the field with no points conceded the entire week and do deserve more recognition with there attitudes and professionalism that the other sides took note of .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to all the boys selected. However IMO Jangala Bennet was absolutely robbed not to make the 40 man squad. If he was not one of the best if not the best winger at this years championship I must of watched a different tournament. He should consider himself extremely unlucky, There’s no doubt in my mind that we will see much more from this young man in the future I’m sure he will prove the selectors wrong.

I agree Knoxdad. Seems as though he picked up "Pavlakis" syndrome - considered too small in stature to compete with the big international teams.

Jangala looked way more dangerous in broken play than some of the chosen wingers. They have selected strong finishers though.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree Knoxdad. Seems as though he picked up "Pavlakis" syndrome - considered too small in stature to compete with the big international teams.

Jangala looked way more dangerous in broken play than some of the chosen wingers. They have selected strong finishers though.

There may well be an element of size syndrome in selection, but to be fair to the selectors last year New Zealand had a monster backline that brushed through tackles with ease. We can expect more of the same. We will need a robust set of backs who are solid in defence.

Knoxdad_89

Bob McCowan (2)
There may well be an element of size syndrome in selection, but to be fair to the selectors last year New Zealand had a monster backline that brushed through tackles with ease. We can expect more of the same. We will need a robust set of backs who are solid in defence.
I can see your point as last year the Aus backline just couldn’t compete with a much bigger and stronger NZ backline. But I’ve watched a little bit of Jangala this year and 2017, He has no problem tackling people twice his size and his electric pace will be needed against a big NZ this year. Hopefully Andrew Maloney has a look at some of Jangala’s school form before the test and adds him to the squad.

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
I rated the CS 3 as a special from day 1.. he is very similar to Angus Bell (1) from NSW1. I also thought Bryden was fantastic in defence but just did not get the opportunity in attack. With s better back line inside him he is as good as Tricks and Dutallis in attack.. Jude Gibbs was another that stood out for mine.

I have never seen someone promote the one player Bryden so much in so many of their posts! Fair player but nowhere near the likes of Tricks or Duitallis let alone the many other wingers on show last week. Honestly, if you keep pumping his tyres up that much they may burst. I suspect there would be at least 5 or 6 ahead of him in the pecking order - some of them from Qld and some of them from the NSW GPS if you actually took the time to look at previous stats and tapes apart from Barker's.

Status
Not open for further replies.