• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
'We won't recruit rockstars': Dan McKellar keen to develop Brumbies
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...keen-to-develop-brumbies-20180714-p4zrjl.html

I wonder if this really means we don't have any money? I can't even think who would be a "rockstar" who is available and we could recruit?

There is a bit of talent around but will they actually get a go? There are a few good ones we have that have got very limited opportunities which hampers development Lack of game time also tends to cause players to seek better opportunities.

Harry LLoyd's return was always on the cards if the Brumbies had their way. Talented but no room in the past.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OK, no rock stars. Maybe we can put together some names he might be interested in.

First up, I'd nominate Andrew Deegan from the Force to bolster the play making role.

I haven't seen very much Shute Shield this year, but in a couple of games I was impressed with a centre by name of Porter (not Potter, who I think plays for the same team) playing with Uni.

Other than that, the names who have been thrown about including Paia'aua and Lloyd would be good gains. And glad to see McInerney getting a gig.

Who else?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think McKellar is saying all the right things there. However, recruitment and contract negotiation isn't the job of the coach at the Brumbies anymore; Damien Hill will be the one making the call on any "rockstars".

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After a bit of research, a little info on Guy Porter.

Ex-Scots College. Played NSW U20s in 2016, would make him around 21 or 22 now I suppose. Listed as a winger in his personal details, but has been playing 12 and 13 for Sydney Uni this year. Played NRC last year and linked to Sydney for 2018 NRC, I believe.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
After a bit of research, a little info on Guy Porter.

Ex-Scots College. Played NSW U20s in 2016, would make him around 21 or 22 now I suppose. Listed as a winger in his personal details, but has been playing 12 and 13 for Sydney Uni this year. Played NRC last year and linked to Sydney for 2018 NRC, I believe.

You're basically describing James Dargaville, why aren't we keeping him?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ive got the 10 based of Scott Sio Instagram

Richie Arnold
Nic Mayhew
Andrew Smith
James Dargaville
Robbie Abel
Erasmus Mees
Faalelei Sione
Isi Naisarani
Lolo Fakaosilea
Kyle Godwin.

So that doesn't have Leslie Makin, James Verity-Amm or Chance Peni in it which some have said is happening, or Christian Lealiifano which is up in the air.

Who we going to get to replace them?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
my thoughts incuding EPS promotions:

Mannrea, Fainga'a ---- Mcinnerney
Sio Alexander Ala'alatoa -----Lloyd & maybe Faagase?
Carter, Arnold, Enever ------ Swain
Samu, Mccaffrey, Cusack, Poey, Hyne & Valetini
Powell, Lucas ----- lonergan
Hawera Lealiifano ------ hansen
jjh tk ------ Porter
taliuali speight & banks ----- muirhead

so thats 31 including a couple who will probs be EPS, so leaves space for couple more plus a couple EPS especially in the backs. Peni, Am, Godwin & Dargaville would work nicely....oh wait...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To get to finals next year brumbies need a quality 12 and just not seeing that with any of the current squad now Godwin going.

One area where need more than eps option like porter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sad to see Nick Mayhew leaving. What was his status for representing Aus? Had he been here the required time to gain eligibility?

Not saying he would displace any of the current crop of Wallaby props, but if eligible, he would have been excellent injury cover. Maybe he sees more opportunity atm in the ABs' front row than in the Wallabies? That just might be right as well.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sad to see Nick Mayhew leaving. What was his status for representing Aus? Had he been here the required time to gain eligibility?

Not saying he would displace any of the current crop of Wallaby props, but if eligible, he would have been excellent injury cover. Maybe he sees more opportunity atm in the ABs' front row than in the Wallabies? That just might be right as well.
A little off topic but interesting you mention the NZ front row, I was recently speaking to a Kiwi mate and he said he was most worried about the front row stocks in NZ. Mayhew has been very solid for the Brumbies and would be in with a shot over the next couple of years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A little off topic but interesting you mention the NZ front row, I was recently speaking to a Kiwi mate and he said he was most worried about the front row stocks in NZ. Mayhew has been very solid for the Brumbies and would be in with a shot over the next couple of years.

their U20s scrum was steam rolled quite regularly, he may have a valid concern

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking at their first choice options now, none of them are scary prospects at scrum time.

Our scrum has comparatively got a lot stronger whilst the All Blacks either has the same players or has gone backwards.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Much as I enjoy Robertson finally delivering on some of his promise, I still wish the national depth at LHP was stronger. We either need to get JP Smith training with the national side, or see about getting Mayhew to the Rebels, where he would undoubtedly start; his quality is almost equal to Sio.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Straight swap, Mayhew for Naivalu. Nic is fortunate that he is triple eligible, NZ, Aus and England. Should land a place at one of them. Pity RA/Cheika don't allow selections from the NZ teams in Super Rugby. Wouldn't have to go through the hard nose negotiations that accompanied Pete Samu's selection this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Straight swap, Mayhew for Naivalu. Nic is fortunate that he is triple eligible, NZ, Aus and England. Should land a place at one of them. Pity RA/Cheika don't allow selections from the NZ teams in Super Rugby. Wouldn't have to go through the hard nose negotiations that accompanied Pete Samu's selection this year.
This sounds more like an RA thing. Based on past behaviour, Cheika just wants to pick whoever is best for the team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Aus rugby needs good LHPs and, apart from the Reds, every provincial side needs reserve props who are actually competing for the starting jersey. I really hope Hill has some targets in mind, because we're not going to survive next season with only Sio, Ala'alatoa, Alexander, and Makin.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where is Apenisa Driti on the horizon?

RA contracted him to some degree with their fighting fund to ensure he stayed in the game.

His schoolboy stuff looks like he played number 8 but the media around him receiving a contract said he was a prop (looks like he has played some number 8 in ACT Colts this year).

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Where is Apenisa Driti on the horizon?

RA contracted him to some degree with their fighting fund to ensure he stayed in the game.

His schoolboy stuff looks like he played number 8 but the media around him receiving a contract said he was a prop (looks like he has played some number 8 in ACT Colts this year).

Pretty sure we played against him last year in Southern Inland 2nd Grade. He was playing lock or 8 for Griffith, no way he is a prop unless he has put on 20 kgs in 12 months