• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I never dreamed this year we would make the finals , so I am pumped that we retain our place atm . Wessels has done a great job this season and whether we make the finals or not now, it surely has to be one of our best seasons.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Rebels getting loose on tour again..

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 6.02.41 pm.png

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So the season is over:

Pass rate even for the team that finished last in 2017 should have been 8 wins. I really do consider this season a failure, don't get me wrong there has been massive improvements in a lot of areas, but 7 wins is no better than 2015/16 and we even had the luxury of playing the Sunwolves twice.

We finished 9th on 7 Wins:

2x Sunwolves - Finished 15th
1x Reds - 13th
1x Blues - 14th
2x Brumbies - 10th
1x Sharks - 8th

Not one win came against a quality side, sorry Sharks fans but I don't rate you this year at all.

We lost to the Bulls and Stormers who finished below us, we did not even take a losing bonus point away. We blew up against the Tahs twice, Reds, Jaguars and Highlanders. All games we really were in positions where we should have won. Even the Hurricanes game was tight for 40 minutes.

Really think we missed Genia, hope he is rested from the November tour. Matt To'omua will make a huge difference at 10. Hodge to 12, I know people say he should play 13 but go back to the game tape and see how poor he really was at 13.

Luke Jones coming back (If true) needs to play 6,

Would let Mafi go, thinks his a good player but has to many selfish tennancies for this level of rugby. WTF was with the tap and go 50 meters out on Sat.

Not very impressed that Colby has been let go, that's three quality 7's in two seasons gone. (Colby, McMahon and Reid) only option I really see at 7 next season is Hardwick. Have a feeling McMahon is going to sign for the Reds so hoping Gill wants to come home and play Super rugby again.

I don't actually think we need to be doing to much recruitment outside of To'omua, have a few too many back row spaces vacant but hopefully we can fill them with some returning players.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
By seasons end next year (given the current and rumored/almost certain signings) i wouldn't be surprised to see the following

1 Sa'aga
2 Uelese
3 Talakai
4 Coleman
5 Phillip
6 RHP - not convinced with big Angus
7 Hardwick
8 Naisarani
9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 Koroibete
12 Tuipulotu - expecting a massive NRC
13 Hodge - into his best spot
14 Maddocks
15 DHP

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Someone telle what game to rewatch where Hodge was good at 13? He was shocking in all games I remember him playing at outside. His best spot has clearly been 12.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
By seasons end next year (given the current and rumored/almost certain signings) i wouldn't be surprised to see the following

1 Sa'aga
2 Uelese
3 Talakai
4 Coleman
5 Phillip
6 RHP - not convinced with big Angus
7 Hardwick
8 Naisarani
9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 Koroibete
12 Tuipulotu - expecting a massive NRC
13 Hodge - into his best spot
14 Maddocks
15 DHP
I would go with pretty much the same team, except Jones at 6, and I'd swap Hodge and Tuipulotu.

If Jones is going to be a chance of making the Wallabies for the RWC I reckon his best chance would be at BSF. I doubt he would start over either of Coleman or Philip and we'll have Jefferies and RHP as bench options.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would you consider Hodge at 12 and Tuipolutu at 13? I reckon KevinO would see it that way, and all the games I've seen Tuipolutu play at U20s have been at 13.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So had a look through the results, Hodge started at 13 three times. Two of them we conceded 50+ points. The other was the win against the Sharks.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
So had a look through the results, Hodge started at 13 three times. Two of them we conceded 50+ points. The other was the win against the Sharks.

to be fair I don't think Hodge at 13 was the reason why we lost those by 50+. The whole team seemed to give up once we were 20 pts down.

I take the point that Hodge has looked better closer in, 10 or 12

I like that Meakes has to play for his position. When he has a point to prove he is red hot, when he gets settled I have felt he looked a little complacent.

Leave 13 for Tuipolutu/English

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep apparently were in discussions with Mafi on an extension which now been quashed. Disappointing but good for Rebels they are also both departing which allows the club to distance themselves from them both which is a pity as Mafi as a footballer was very talented and did offer the Rebels a lot but after this incident yes better he is going given also got Isa on board as his replacement......

Status
Not open for further replies.