• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I was surprised we didn't opt for a scrum. After dicking their scrum not long earlier and having a solid platform all night I would have thought we'd have been primed for a first phase play to try and score.

Our backline is full of threats and with good execution should be very hard to stop at that range.
Looked like a set play though the way they picked out Latu who spun into contact to protect the ball and was driven by Coleman and another player. Perhaps they developed a tap move during the week in the event the scrum was unstable and the line out was too shaky to go to the corner.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
And we actually used a tap move later on in the lead up to the try. Does anyone know what we were trying to do, looked like we tried to setup a driving maul? Interesting play nonetheless that resulted in a try.

That is what it looked like for me. I was surprised when Latu got it and Thor wasn't set to be the second runner.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looked like a set play though the way they picked out Latu who spun into contact to protect the ball and was driven by Coleman and another player. Perhaps they developed a tap move during the week in the event the scrum was unstable and the line out was too shaky to go to the corner.

Cheilka and Hooper both said they they had come up with a tap play earlier in the week however I just put two and two together Thanks UTG

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Of course, and I wasn't arguing it is something you should do every time. Just that I'm surprised you see it so rarely.

It allows you to avoid potential scrum calamity, and get straight into your attacking patterns. I'd still take the scrum on most occasions, but throwing in a tap every now and again is a smart option.

And if it's done quickly (a la Aaron Smith) it mostly catches the opposition on the hop and if the defense doesn't open up, it most times is off side and gives up another penalty in better position for the attacking side.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And if it's done quickly (a la Aaron Smith) it mostly catches the opposition on the hop and if the defense doesn't open up, it most times is off side and gives up another penalty in better position for the attacking side.
Although these days if you run into a guy who is retreating and doesn’t seek to make contact with you then they usually won’t deem them offside. A few years ago they used to be more open to blowing a penalty for this.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, but close to the line the defenders are going to try to stop you even if they are off side. Penalty everyday with the chance of a penalty try and yellow card.

EDIT : It's almost as good a sure thing as a well constructed maul for which there is practically no legal means of stopping it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, but close to the line the defenders are going to try to stop you even if they are off side. Penalty everyday with the chance of a penalty try and yellow card.

EDIT : It's almost as good a sure thing as a well constructed maul for which there is practically no legal means of stopping it.
Definitely closer to the tryline it’s an underrated option, it just seems these days there is less guarantee that you can take a quick tap with the idea of running into someone and getting another penalty 10m further down the field.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Good lawd i hate mauls. They gotta gooooo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wishing Kerevi all the best, that's not a pleasant end to the season.

I've said it before, Kerevi is not the answer to the problem people have with Kuridrani at 13. I think Kuridrani at 13 is one of the best in the world. However, if you want to deal with the issues some people have, then Rona is an exciting prospect, and I look forward to seeing him get the chance, be it against the Darkness or against Argentina.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Kuridrani's form has steadily improved this season.

His problem earlier in the year was that he was offering nothing in attack and his usual water tight defence was showing some leaks.

Both have improved as the season has gone on.

Kerevi was offering more in attack as he always does with improved defence from last year.

Rona was offering both but has probably gone off the boil a bit. The challenge for him will be to finish the season very strong and try and make it hard for Cheika not to give him a crack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Kuridrani's form has steadily improved this season.

His problem earlier in the year was that he was offering nothing in attack and his usual water tight defence was showing some leaks.

Both have improved as the season has gone on.

Kerevi was offering more in attack as he always does with improved defence from last year.

Rona was offering both but has probably gone off the boil a bit. The challenge for him will be to finish the season very strong and try and make it hard for Cheika not to give him a crack.

Yep, I think Kuridrani had around 100m ground gained against the Canes. He was looking more like his old self, but needs to maintain the rage to stay in front of Rona, who was unusually quiet against the Rebels.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Which certainly promotes Rona up the list but I’m not convinced. Options?

Qld:
- Perese: massive call regardless of his current injury. Squad member (possible bench) depending on fitness
- Petaia: an even bigger call but wouldn’t surprise me if he at least is in the squad.

NSW:
- Rona: will be in the squad and a big chance for a start. As I said, I’m not convinced.
- Izzy: we have fullback depth at the moment.... he can be covered there.

Brumbies:
- no other 13 options but Banks’s form makes the relocation of Izzy an option.

Rebels:
- English: nah. Don’t see him as a test player.
- Hodge: he’d be my pick. Wasn’t a lot of his first year for the Rebels at 13? I, and many, were calling him Mortlock-like. Very skilful. Great temperament
- Meakes: form has improved as the season has progressed. A bench option.

Anyone else?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Which certainly promotes Rona up the list but I’m not convinced. Options?

Qld:
- Perese: massive call regardless of his current injury. Squad member (possible bench) depending on fitness
- Petaia: an even bigger call but wouldn’t surprise me if he at least is in the squad.

NSW:
- Rona: will be in the squad and a big chance for a start. As I said, I’m not convinced.
- Izzy: we have fullback depth at the moment.. he can be covered there.

Brumbies:
- no other 13 options but Banks’s form makes the relocation of Izzy an option.

Rebels:
- English: nah. Don’t see him as a test player.
- Hodge: he’d be my pick. Wasn’t a lot of his first year for the Rebels at 13? I, and many, were calling him Mortlock-like. Very skilful. Great temperament
- Meakes: form has improved as the season has progressed. A bench option.

Anyone else?
Positioning questionable though.