• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
BBC beat BGS 22-15
3 best players on field 3,12,10 all from BGS
BBC were poor disinterested/- and looked like a team in mourning over the trajedy that the school faced this week .
Another serious neck injury in 3rds.

Awful to hear there’s another one. Hope he’s ok. I see the Terrace boy is in good spirits but facing some serious challenges. Always hard to hear such young guys facing such serious life changing situations.

Impressed by that BGS score, hope they can keep that up. BBC would not be happy with that, they’ll need to be much better to have a chance at the premiership.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
BBC beat BGS 22-15
3 best players on field 3,12,10 all from BGS
BBC were poor disinterested/- and looked like a team in mourning over the trajedy that the school faced this week .
Another serious neck injury in 3rds.

To say BBC were poor is a compliment . BGS were better side
Take number 11 out of BBC and they lose today . Fowards of BBC outplayed .

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
NC 49- Terrace 25. Brilliant kicking display by 10 converting all tries. Game much closer than score suggests, terrace better side first half with their backs looking very dangerous. NC lost 4 players in first 25 mins to injury, depth of open age group came to the fore with replacement players not missing a beat. Loss of terrace 15 on half time made a big difference, he was the best player on the ground in the first half. Very entertaining game played in great spirit continuing the great rivalry between the two schools.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
To say BBC were poor is a compliment . BGS were better side
Take number 11 out of BBC and they lose today . Fowards of BBC outplayed .

Worst performance by BBC first XV in 4+ years - they just assumed they were going to win and were lucky to do so - totally distracted and not committed but I have to give it to BGS they gave it their all especially in defence. I thought BGS 3, 1 & 12 were great their 8 played like he had an extra 25kgs on him. The ref was very lenient with the BGS rushed defence giving them considerable leeway, BBC didn’t look like they were even trying to get up quick in defence. Just watched the NC-GT replay - GT would have beaten BBC today - easier said than done but the bye for BBC has come at a good time and the boys need to rally and play for their classmate not be distracted by what’s happened.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Worst performance by BBC first XV in 4+ years - they just assumed they were going to win and were lucky to do so - totally distracted and not committed but I have to give it to BGS they gave it their all especially in defence. I thought BGS 3, 1 & 12 were great their 8 played like he had an extra 25kgs on him. The ref was very lenient with the BGS rushed defence giving them considerable leeway, BBC didn’t look like they were even trying to get up quick in defence. Just watched the NC-GT replay - GT would have beaten BBC today - easier said than done but the bye for BBC has come at a good time and the boys need to rally and play for their classmate not be distracted by what’s happened.

Well said sir - spot on

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)

Way off the mark Oracle, and I think your post is a little skewed and to be honest, out of place. Firstly, credit to BGS - very well prepared by their coach - BBC had no answer to the BGS game plan, and , ominously, couldn’t adapt to the rushing defence ( albeit offside most of the day , as was BBC ). BBC were unprepared, and perhaps a little overconfident, and didn’t have the tools to react.
Secondly, to try to tie this in to any of the events of the last week is wrong - fullstop.
And the worst performance in 4 + years !!! You need to get to more of the games - yes they didn’t step up, yes , they were flat, but mostly they had no answer to the BGS game plan - kudos Phil Mooney.
Worst in 4 + years !!! I offer another perspective - the defence on their own line today, down to 13 men, and similarly last week when under sustained pressure from GT, was in fact the most spirited dig that I have seen from the school first XV in 12 years ! Today , down 2 men and under sustained pressure, BBC had every reason to fold and lay down, and college XVs of the recent past would’ve accepted that - not these guys ! Yes, they didn’t play up to scratch, and looked slow and out of it at times, but they managed to grind out a win against a very good, hungry BGS team who threw everything, and then some at them, and they still managed to find a way to grind out a win.
Plenty for the coaches to focus on, but the grind from the last two weeks will hold them in good stead !

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Way off the mark Oracle, and I think your post is a little skewed and to be honest, out of place. Firstly, credit to BGS - very well prepared by their coach - BBC had no answer to the BGS game plan, and , ominously, couldn’t adapt to the rushing defence ( albeit offside most of the day , as was BBC ). BBC were unprepared, and perhaps a little overconfident, and didn’t have the tools to react.
Secondly, to try to tie this in to any if the events of the last week is wrong - fullstop.
And the worst performance in 4 + years !!! You need to get to more of the games - yes they didn’t step up, yes , they were flat, but mostly they had no answer to the BGS game plan - kudos Phil Mooney.
Worst in 4 + years !!! I offer another perspective - the defence on their own line today, down to 13 men, and similarly last week when under sustained pressure from GT, was in fact the most spirited dig that I have seen from the school first XV in 12 years ! Today , down 2 men and under sustained pressure, BBC had every reason to fold and lay down, and college XVs of the recent past would’ve accepted that - not these guys ! Yes, they didn’t play up to scratch, and looked slow and out of it at times, but they managed to grind out a win against a very good, hungry BGS team who threw everything, and then some at them, and they still managed to find a way to grind out a win.
Plenty for the coaches to focus on, but the grind from the last two weeks will hold them in good stead !

I’d reckon you’re a tad too close to the team. They should not have been down to 13 men in the first place. They were one intercept away from a draw or worse. True they lifted in defence, but they wilted in attack. Pretty obvious a key playmaker is playing injured and not willing or comfortable running with ball in hand but when he did it was impressive.

Not taking anything away from BGS they were the better team on the day, 2nd week in a row BBC outside backs brilliance got them home. BGS forwards outplayed BBC comprehensively. It was more about commitment, complacency and coaching. BBC have the cattle on the field to win that game with only 13 men - they have some work to do or TSS and NC will put 20+ on them and possibly TGS.

I get to enough games mate as does Gungenia who saw it the same as me - might change if they play like that again.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
I’d reckon you’re a tad too close to the team. They should not have been down to 13 men in the first place. They were one intercept away from a draw or worse. True they lifted in defence, but they wilted in attack. Pretty obvious a key playmaker is playing injured and not willing or comfortable running with ball in hand but when he did it was impressive.

Not taking anything away from BGS they were the better team on the day, 2nd week in a row BBC outside backs brilliance got them home. BGS forwards outplayed BBC comprehensively. It was more about commitment, complacency and coaching. BBC have the cattle on the field to win that game with only 13 men - they have some work to do or TSS and NC will put 20+ on them and possibly TGS.

I get to enough games mate as does Gungenia who saw it the same as me - might change if they play like that again.

No - not that close mate - obviously not as close as you and Gungenia - and good on you by the way for getting to all the games. Don’t stop just because you think they’re playing badly.
Stop making sense Oracle - I think we are saying the same thing - particularly now that you’re focusing on rugby rather than peripheral events which have no place in a schoolboy rugby forum.
I agree with your general observation that BBC were way off the mark - but their lack of intensity was magnified by a BGS game plan which shut them down. BBC didn’t have the tools to adapt to the up front ferocity and defensive shut down. I agree - BBC didn’t deserve to win, but, in my opinion Oracle, BBC finding a way to win and that grinding defence is something I haven’t seen in the squad for a while. And that’s not me trying to find an emotional prop for being “ a tad too close “ - just trying to look for some positives. But as you said Oracle, you get to enough games - you’re probably right !! Hopefully they don’t “play like that again “ and you have to stop coming to watch them.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Congratulations and hats off to the Grammar players , and especially , the Grammar Coaches

The player change ups , in defense and in attack , were exceptionally well planned and thought out . For those that were watching you could see them experimenting with these attack change ups in preseason

The trick of it is - it is , and is going to continue to be , very hard for other teams to build rhythm on this BGS team

Well done Coaches and Players for playing an intelligent and well disciplined and executed game plan

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Good game at Carina yesterday. BSHS weren't too bad. They defended well. TSS had a really good crack at the line for a little while but couldn't get through. TSS had to resort to a penalty which was a win of sorts. In the end, BSHS lacked polish. They seemed to have difficulty maintaining fluency past three or four phases before a stray pass was thrown or a poor line was run. The TSS defence throughout was great and the only BSHS try was scored right on the edge. BSHS made a couple of breaks late but support was lacking and arrived far too late. TSS just ground them down and played with good patience.
If anything, I walked away from the game shaking my head at the way the BSHS players were spoken to at half time. It wasn't hard to overhear the coach's words from a fair distance away. Every third to fourth word was the F bomb - to 17 year old this sets a poor example. A fish rots from the head, and sure as eggs, this is how the players carried on throughout the game. The coach (Byron) kept ramming home the importance of 'the win' yet there was no chat about the process.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah but how many OP 1’s did you get Tashara?

On a serious note, thanks for the great coverage. The firsts’ game looked like a great battle; can’t take Grammar too much for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Premiers Version 2

1.Engrave the Trophy
IGS 13A and BBC 16A

2.It is a long way to 2nd place
BSHA 14 A to ????
TSS 1st xv to NC

3. We will know more when
2nd xv-BBC play TGS and NC
15 A IGS play BSHS and BBC

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah but how many OP 1’s did you get Tashara?

On a serious note, thanks for the great coverage. The firsts’ game looked like a great battle; can’t take Grammar too much for granted.

haha... well I didn't get one, that's for sure. Grammar were great and most definitely can not be under estimated. They definitely punch above their weight, so more power to them.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hmmmmm.

Bluey , old chum, notwithstanding my genuine respect for the Blue and White I believe the following games are far from an obvious outcome

TGS v NC at TGS in Round 4
BBC v NC at BBC in Round 7
ACGS v NC at ACGS in Round 9

I have reasons for each game as to where I think the challenges lay for The Nudge- but the TGS and ACGS games have more in common with each other , in that , their set piece and on ground game - are going to be big challenges to overcome. TGS’s Dougal Gray and ACGS’s Connor McKinlay are ( for mine ) probably the 2x best starting 7’s in the Comp ( noting GT playing Will Roche in different spots )

But if these specific challenges of set piece and on ball can be overcome then I think NC absolutely can take down TSS at Ross Oval in the last round and win it all outright

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry Rig, have deleted that thread. It ads nothing to the forum.

Take it up with the school if you have issues.