• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Some comments on G&GR over the last few years would indicate that school holiday training camps have occurred. Gold Coast training camp, NZ development tour, and the Rugby School 7's tournament spring to mind.
S&C isn't new to Shore's rugby from what I've heard. Maybe not as year-round as other schools though.
Certainly this year has seen a big emphasis on school-wide consistency of coaching techniques.
Yes all true but training camps in isolation don’t work that well. S&C at Shore for many years was just a couple of lunch time gym sessions for those in younger age groups. In 2013 this all came to a head when the Opens attended the Gold Coast Rugby Carnival and were decimated by injury so much so that multiple players who started in the 4th XV ended up playing 1s. A lot of the injuries were shoulder related because they weren’t big enough to tackle their opposition.

But without wanting to derail the thread too much further I will say I think the coaching has definitely moved in the right direction and the most promising age groups for some time are currently performing well and should have Shore competitive in the Opens in a few years time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes all true but training camps in isolation don’t work that well. S&C at Shore for many years was just a couple of lunch time gym sessions for those in younger age groups. In 2013 this all came to a head when the Opens attended the Gold Coast Rugby Carnival and were decimated by injury so much so that multiple players who started in the 4th XV ended up playing 1s. A lot of the injuries were shoulder related because they weren’t big enough to tackle their opposition.

But without wanting to derail the thread too much further I will say I think the coaching has definitely moved in the right direction and the most promising age groups for some time are currently performing well and should have Shore competitive in the Opens in a few years time.

I've made the observation a number of times over the years on these threads that Shore teams have always appeared much smaller than any other team. I think it's probably the biggest difference between Shore and the other schools. For better or worse, rugby has changed significantly in the past 30 years. When I was at school, the closest we got to doing weights was throwing a medicine ball around - the big strong guys were just naturally big and strong and the fast guys naturally fast etc. There's so much more to it now.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
When I was at school, the closest we got to doing weights was throwing a medicine ball around - the big strong guys were just naturally big and strong and the fast guys naturally fast etc. There's so much more to it now.

That's when schools actually selected their best 15 students from the cohort attending the school and played them in the SCHOOL 1ST XV.

Shore being the only school still doing this.

When school teams play rep teams then the outcome should not be unexpected

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
I feel you are being bit harsh on Joeys against New. I saw the DVD on this site involving both teams. To me New played some great Rugby with the last try to New, exceptional in its creative and execution. Also, I suspect joeys supporters were expecting a big win and when this did not occur the 1st VX is to blame. Give credit where credit is due, Newington simply gave Joeys an unexpected close game.

Not being harsh B&W. Newington were the better team and extremely unlucky not to win and deservedly should have. However, you only have to go back to a couple of games where Joeys were leading Scots with 8 minutes to go and so clearly did not perform as they should have particularly after another camp. My understanding is that there have been a number of changes for this week so that will give you some indication on what the coaches felt who presumably know more than the rest of us.

Certainly the catch, draw and pass skills which occasionally are evident seemed to have gone out the window. A true look at the video bears testimony to the opportunities and points wasted whether it be bad passing or not looking to promote the ball to players in better positions.

Joeys used to be known for its expansive game but for the past two seasons particularly it's hard to understand why that has stopped. I'm not sure if it's players out of position (a number of Joeys players did not play in their current position in the backs all the way through?) or what it is but if they do have a plan to play running rugby it's certainly not being followed. The attack is one dimensional which the stronger sides will eat up unless something changes.

As a supporter, I live in hope and look forward to this week which will be a great challenge but certainly doable. Good luck to New and congrats on the way they played. The fullback particularly is a wonderful player.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys used to be known for its expansive game but for the past two seasons particularly it's hard to understand why that has stopped. I'm not sure if it's players out of position (a number of Joeys players did not play in their current position in the backs all the way through?) or what it is but if they do have a plan to play running rugby it's certainly not being followed. The attack is one dimensional which the stronger sides will eat up unless something changes.

I have been saying this for as while. This season though the normally restrained lads at Hunters Hill are starting to be heard as their grumbling has been picked up by those at the Shell servo. The boys are not happy. The attack (as you correctly pointed out) is 1990's. The boys want to play a higher tempo, off loading game (similar to TSC) but are not able to. The Joeys boys die with the ball too often, commit to the breakdown which allows oppositions to realign swiftly. Scots do this well as they commit 1 to a breakdown normally and then belt the tripe out of the next ball runner. When the game is played at pace, and off loading the ball and not going to ground all the time is employed then the Imperial Walkers of TSC and the Holstein cattle of Kings will struggle to set up again. Joeys have the forwards skill (did you note how good the scrum was) but the brains department in the backs in lacking as the instructions from the head chef are predictable. Looks good when it works (Creagh try) but too often they are caught, slowed down and then belted.

BTW....Kings lad with his mum

Blosom---Tallest-Cow-ever_headline-image-guinness-world-records_tcm25-386481.jpg

keenas

Stan Wickham (3)
If Joeys plays like they did on Saturday you can double that margin to fifty.

The good news is that their worst game hopefully is out of the way.

For a marked improvement some magic coaching words "PASS THE BALL" would be a very good start. The back 3 are passengers and if not for tackling would be regarded as redundant and yet are weapons that continue to be ignored.

Let's throw everything at Kings and let the ball sing. If so, it will be a lot closer than everybody thinks.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know if Angus Bell - Newington is playing ?

keenas

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn't play last Saturday.

I know he didn't play against Joeys I'm wondering if he is injured or having a rest a la Luke Moretti ?
Also many thanks to Armchair selector for providing team lists of 1 & 2's . Joey's and it's supporters seem to be the only crew supporting GPS Rugby with info and team lists, I would have thought Scots being so successful for a number of years would do more to promote their teams with team lists etc., and relevant news, cheers to all

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joey's and it's supporters seem to be the only crew supporting GPS Rugby with info and team lists

Don't forget "JoeysRugby" on twitter. Joeys are the only school I know that provides results and game updates on Saturday. It was created in 2011 by the rugby convenor when 50% of the school community found getting from the farm to the field a struggle. Wish all schools would. It is so simple when you have passionate supporters.

38023514_1770354283001269_7124314892441485312_n.jpg

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Joey's and it's supporters seem to be the only crew supporting GPS Rugby with info and team lists.

That's actually not true or fair.

In fact, when it comes to match reviews, see link to example from Round 1 below, the only GPS schools for which there is a person who has voluntered their time to write these reports this year is Shore (UptheGuts), Scots (Crackerjack) and New (Quickhands).

Also the guy who schedules writers for the reports and collates them and edits them is a Barker supporter (Rod Skellet).

You will note, next week for example, that a Kings v Joeys match report most likely wont be filled as this year there is no K or J supporter writing match reports.

It's a very time consuming and thankless task. I did it myself for a few years.

I am not bagging the J, K and V supporters for not writing match reports. But I think credit where credit is due for UTG, CJ, QH and RS.

THANKS HEAPS GUYS.

And of course sidesteppa who week in week out posts a highlights video of one of the key matches.

PS if anyone wants to review K, J or V games for next 3 weeks, say so here or send a PM to Rod Skellet, or me.

Cheers

EDIT: Link inserted.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2018-nsw-schoolboys-23-june/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I know he didn't play against Joeys I'm wondering if he is injured or having a rest a la Luke Moretti ?
Also many thanks to Armchair selector for providing team lists of 1 & 2's . Joey's and it's supporters seem to be the only crew supporting GPS Rugby with info and team lists, I would have thought Scots being so successful for a number of years would do more to promote their teams with team lists etc., and relevant news, cheers to all

Injured I think - ankle?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Games for this Saturday:

Scots v Shore at Bellevue Hill

Joeys v Kings at Hunter's Hill

Newington v Riverview at Stanmore

3rds

Scots v Shore

Joeys v Kings

High v Riverview at Centennial Park

Grammar v TAS at Weigall

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Suspect that there will be two close games this weekend

Kings to beat Joeys by less than 10

New to beat Riverview by less than 10

Scots to beat Shore by 50 (although Shore have run Scots close more than once in recent years)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's when schools actually selected their best 15 students from the cohort attending the school and played them in the SCHOOL 1ST XV.

Shore being the only school still doing this.

When school teams play rep teams then the outcome should not be unexpected

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Without getting into the a discussion about the matters raised, Shore owe it to their players to be physcially prepared for the contest.

I recall watching a 3rd XV match between Joeys and Kings a few years back and what struck me was that the Kings boys looked like a 3rd XV from 20 years ago - just a bunch of kids of different shapes and sizes (but most with skinny legs), while the entire Joeys team had well developed thighs, backsides and upper arms.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Games for this Saturday:

Scots v Shore at Bellevue Hill

Joeys v Kings at Hunter's Hill

Newington v Riverview at Stanmore

Three interesting matches this weekend.

Scots have had some close ones with the Shoremen over the last few years, but sorry UTG, Badge and all, I just don’t see any repeat of those recent experiences in fine conditions on Saturday. Certainly, Shore will give their whole-hearted all for the full 70”, but I expect Scots will repeat their blistering starts of the first couple of competition Rounds to all but negate any contested result by oranges. Will leave a final margin call to Wristy, ‘cos he seems to like that stuff, but it’ll be 30+

New hosting View, w/ both seeking to get off a duck-egg in the Season points column, reminds me of some high-scoring, narrow-margined contests in recent years. I can imagine some rollicking, crazy-good attacking, festival of the boot, with New converting a freakish Master Weekes’ try at the very death to take the game chocolates something like 51-45!

Match of the Round in the 1’s though, will be at HH. Two of the three predicted Season contenders, both coming in (as expected) undefeated. So much on the line to have any sort of a crack at the Season’s silverware, in the 5 back-to-back “grand finals” format of the GPS First XV Comp.

Kings have been right up there for the last few Seasons, without quite getting their hands on the Schools Trophy, so they will want to keep it all ‘alive’ to have 2018 finally decided out at North Parra in the last game of Season 2018 in a couple of weeks’ time. Joeys tho’ will just want to win! and reward their Cerise & Blue faithful hordes to keep their own dreams ‘alive’ ahead of meeting Scots at BH in Round 4 next week.

Heart says Joe Boys. Head says Kings.
So, if the Joe Boys keep the ball in hand, Kings by less than 7.
Much bigger margin to Kings if the Joe Boys keep kicking the ball away, and don’t shut down Minogue and Kings’ devastating back three.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^^
I just noticed that there’s exactly the same split in the 2nds Comp Table as there is in the 1’s.

The same 3 undefeated teams in both Comps (Scots, Kings and Joeys); with all others still to open their Season accounts.

So, there’ll be similar Season-on-the-line intensity in the JoeBoys 2nds game against Kings, as there will be the 1sts; just one of them to stay undefeated.

Expect it will be good fun on Saturday arvo at Hunters Hill!

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby is the standout worst sport in terms of A and B level results. Certainly the majority of Shore’s Opens and A level cricket and soccer teams would finish in the top 3 schools most years. The basketball programme is incredibly rigorous and there is a very good culture where boys turn up for extra sessions during the holidays and in the offseason and coaches will be there to assist. Alarmingly, the basketball programme has been this way for quite a while and despite Shore struggling for a number of years at Rugby it’s only this year they’ve decided to overhaul it and enact some of the systems that have proved successful in rowing and basketball.
Soccer is worse than rugby at Shore. AFL is not really a comp but is a low standard. Winter sports are bad. Summer sports are good. Atho’s bad.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Soccer is worse than rugby at Shore. AFL is not really a comp but is a low standard. Winter sports are bad. Summer sports are good. Atho’s bad.
Won the premiership for soccer in 2016 so still pretty successful in my book. Soccer is different because a lot of the best players play club soccer instead of school, Shore have a Sydney FC u20 player that won’t play most of the games.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Won the premiership for soccer in 2016 so still pretty successful in my book. Soccer is different because a lot of the best players play club soccer instead of school, Shore have a Sydney FC u20 player that won’t play most of the games.

2016 soccer was an anomaly. 2017 soccer was awful. 2018 soccer was pretty average. Still way less students playing soccer than rugby.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Three interesting matches this weekend.

Scots have had some close ones with the Shoremen over the last few years, but sorry UTG, Badge and all, I just don’t see any repeat of those recent experiences in fine conditions on Saturday. Certainly, Shore will give their whole-hearted all for the full 70”, but I expect Scots will repeat their blistering starts of the first couple of competition Rounds to all but negate any contested result by oranges. Will leave a final margin call to Wristy, ‘cos he seems to like that stuff, but it’ll be 30+

New hosting View, w/ both seeking to get off a duck-egg in the Season points column, reminds me of some high-scoring, narrow-margined contests in recent years. I can imagine some rollicking, crazy-good attacking, festival of the boot, with New converting a freakish Master Weekes’ try at the very death to take the game chocolates something like 51-45!

Match of the Round in the 1’s though, will be at HH. Two of the three predicted Season contenders, both coming in (as expected) undefeated. So much on the line to have any sort of a crack at the Season’s silverware, in the 5 back-to-back “grand finals” format of the GPS First XV Comp.

Kings have been right up there for the last few Seasons, without quite getting their hands on the Schools Trophy, so they will want to keep it all ‘alive’ to have 2018 finally decided out at North Parra in the last game of Season 2018 in a couple of weeks’ time. Joeys tho’ will just want to win! and reward their Cerise & Blue faithful hordes to keep their own dreams ‘alive’ ahead of meeting Scots at BH in Round 4 next week.

Heart says Joe Boys. Head says Kings.
So, if the Joe Boys keep the ball in hand, Kings by less than 7.
Much bigger margin to Kings if the Joe Boys keep kicking the ball away, and don’t shut down Minogue and Kings’ devastating back three.
Agreed CJ, will be exceedingly tough for Shore, if they get within 20 it will be a performance they can be proud of.