• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Picked in Brisbane NRC squad to. You gonna heap your moral scorn upon them to?

You mean “too” dough whacker

I’m not the one with white line fever mate - justify your attempt for a premiership however you want but the guy has issues, he gives nothing back to rugby or the community (which QC (Quade Cooper) does big time). And now he will take the position of a player with a future in NRC before a French club strikes a “deal”!!!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You mean “too” dough whacker

I’m not the one with white line fever mate - justify your attempt for a premiership however you want but the guy has issues, he gives nothing back to rugby or the community (which QC (Quade Cooper) does big time). And now he will take the position of a player with a future in NRC before a French club strikes a “deal”!!!

Dough whacker!? . So sorry my auto correct chose the incorrect too.

No need to get personal pal, pretty sure it's against forum etiquette eh. FYI I'm just a mug punter, I like to watch Rugby and I like to watch talented players. Simple as that. Hunt is very fucking talented and I'd enjoy watching him play for any club he chooses.
Time move the conversation on Flanders.
Cheers

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Winning 4 out their 5 Grand Final appearances under Heenan is a pretty handy record!

I wasn't trying to diminish their achievements, it's been a strong club for a good while. Obviously has a great culture. I just recall them being pretty much undefeated for a couple of seasons but falling short at the business end. Obviously the exception rather than the rule though!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well Wests know how to do it next time - centre dispensation application around perceived player safety issues and we'll get up.

I can't help but think that a nasty precedent has been set with the Paice decision.

I hear that Uni are hoping to get James Hanson cleared for the finals and rumour has it that Easts are in talks with Jeremy Paul.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Bulldog lets give it a rest mate.

Let the magpies have their moment. They deserve it... I’m certainly going for them in the upcoming finals. I’d like to see Quade prove his critics wrong wirh the hospital cup and a mad magpie Monday

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
That last post is all I have to say on the matter SX. I wish Souths all the best for the finals but unlike you I will be supporting whoever they come up against over coming weeks.

As for the Alec Evans I think it will be one of the Bond or Norths lads.

Maybe Ford, Nucifora, Cittigen(?? Norths centre) or the North's goal kicker. Referees love points scores.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
As a bulldog I fail to see how you can cheer on Gallopers and UQ (local geographical rivals) & the Tigers are our geographical opposite end of compass.

Souths all day baby!!!

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Assuming it is true that Paice has received Management Committee dispensation on 'safety issues' grounds, the QRU will presumably explain to all of the Premier Clubs (particularly Easts) as to why the Competition Rules were not adhered to in this instance - specifically Rules 10.2 and 10.4(II). Will the Competition Rules now be updated, or will the QRU just disregard them again in the future as they see fit? It does not appear to be much point in having Competition Rules if they are not adhered to. Does anyone know the process for updating the Competition Rules?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks Serge - I thought I was the only one thinking that the rules should be applied.

The appeal committee was clearly spooked by the player safety argument.

As I understand it both the Souths colts hooker and a reserve grade player who plays 1, 2 & 3 are all still fit. Both have played time @ 2 in premier grade this year.

I will make one final statement unreservedly on the topic:
I believe that Souths have used fear of player safety to enhance their Premier Grade squad for the finals - which is an unfair advantage over the other 3 clubs still in Hospital Cup contention.

In my mind it is just not in the spirit of the game.

Everyone bar one eyed Magpie supporters know it.

Souths can consider themselves lucky because they have got away with one here.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks Serge - I thought I was the only one thinking that the rules should be applied.

As I understand it both the Souths colts hooker and a reserve grade player who plays 1, 2 & 3 are all still fit. Both have played time @ 2 in premier grade this year.

I believe that Souths have used fear of player safety to enhance their Premier Grade squad for the finals - which is an unfair advantage over the other 3 finals clubs.

I can't speak for their whole season. But I remember Souths scrum absolutely getting minced by GPS scrum this year. Jake Simeon was given a team a yellow card 15-20 minutes into the game from memory, and gave away at least 1 penalty try from scrum penalties. If that game alone is anything to go by, Souths need all the help they can get in the Front row.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)

I believe that Souths have used fear of player safety to enhance their Premier Grade squad for the finals - which is an unfair advantage over the other 3 clubs still in Hospital Cup contention.

The irony is that there is no safety argument. From a refereeing perspective the provisions in Law 3 fully cater for the Souths circumstances and would preclude a safety issue from arising. The QRU has blinked first at the Souths threat to go to uncontested scrums and the QRU apparently doesn't like the possibility of that occurring (bad look?). The latest Rugby News article on this matter indicates that Paice's involvement has been caveated to only coming off the bench - but doesn't say whether that is only as an injury replacement or might also be as a tactical replacement. What will be the referee team involvement in whatever deal has been struck? I'm sure the QRU intent would be for Paice only to come for a genuine injury to Casey - to avoid uncontested scrums, however I have little confidence that it will pan out that way. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this weekend. Regardless, it is clear that the QRU has cocked this up.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
What absolute garbage, from someone who was neither there, nor privy to the reasons why Paice was granted dispensation. While you are speculating without any knowledge, do you want to throw any other players into the mix that Souths might have received dispensation for - unduly so of course!!

To say the QRU was spooked is just rubbish. Surely you would prefer to not see another young player get seriously injured after what happened to that poor Tweedy kid. The colt at Souths is a good young prospect but is exactly that - young! He has another full year of colts ahead!

And in the alternative, if you are suggesting that a 3/4 grader should ride the pine against a rubbish Premier grade scrum, then I would possibly agree, but that is not the case here. Souths would be risking a very young colt or a lower grade player against two Reds contracted players (current and recent former) and an NRC/Aus 20 player. Its dangerous - full stop!

Its not about blinking first, its about being able to close your eyes at all when you got to bed of a night knowing that someone has not been seriously hurt because of an arbitrary policy.

Can we move on!!

The irony is that there is no safety argument. From a refereeing perspective the provisions in Law 3 fully cater for the Souths circumstances and would preclude a safety issue from arising. The QRU has blinked first at the Souths threat to go to uncontested scrums and the QRU apparently doesn't like the possibility of that occurring (bad look?). The latest Rugby News article on this matter indicates that Paice's involvement has been caveated to only coming off the bench - but doesn't say whether that is only as an injury replacement or might also be as a tactical replacement. What will be the referee team involvement in whatever deal has been struck? I'm sure the QRU intent would be for Paice only to come for a genuine injury to Casey - to avoid uncontested scrums, however I have little confidence that it will pan out that way. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this weekend. Regardless, it is clear that the QRU has cocked this up.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ok for what it’s worth:

1st UQ over Jeeps by 12
East over Souths by 5*

2nds. Brothers* & Easts
3rds. Brothers* & Easts*
4ths. Souths & North’s
5ths. Brothers & Jeeps
6ths. Brothers & Brothers*

Colts 1. Brothers & Souths*
Colts 2. UQ* & Souths
Colts 3. Brothers & UQ*

The Really close games (IMO) will be the * ones. Of course anything can and will happen in finals. Think all the 3rd grade games will be the closest this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
What absolute garbage, from someone who was neither there, nor privy to the reasons why Paice was granted dispensation. While you are speculating without any knowledge, do you want to throw any other players into the mix that Souths might have received dispensation for - unduly so of course!!

To say the QRU was spooked is just rubbish. Surely you would prefer to not see another young player get seriously injured after what happened to that poor Tweedy kid. The colt at Souths is a good young prospect but is exactly that - young! He has another full year of colts ahead!

And in the alternative, if you are suggesting that a 3/4 grader should ride the pine against a rubbish Premier grade scrum, then I would possibly agree, but that is not the case here. Souths would be risking a very young colt or a lower grade player against two Reds contracted players (current and recent former) and an NRC/Aus 20 player. Its dangerous - full stop!

Its not about blinking first, its about being able to close your eyes at all when you got to bed of a night knowing that someone has not been seriously hurt because of an arbitrary policy.

Can we move on!!

Uni have a 3rd Grade prop on the bench this weekend.The Souths Colt who’s safety you’re worried about has played Premier Grade on a number of occasions this year this year & he played well.He should be annoyed that they haven’t turned to him as should Mike Baice who was a regular Premier Grader last year & flattened the Uni scrum on Saturday.

Ironically,if Souths play Uni next week then an former English Hooker would be the safety threat against the Uni 3rd Grader!

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
I can't speak for their whole season. But I remember Souths scrum absolutely getting minced by GPS scrum this year. Jake Simeon was given a team a yellow card 15-20 minutes into the game from memory, and gave away at least 1 penalty try from scrum penalties. If that game alone is anything to go by, Souths need all the help they can get in the Front row.
GPS has minced every scrum this season.They are a well oiled & impressive machine.

Reactions: vac

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
It’s hard to disagree wit
Ok for what it’s worth:

1st UQ over Jeeps by 12
East over Souths by 5*

2nds. Brothers* & Easts
3rds. Brothers* & Easts*
4ths. Souths & North’s
5ths. Brothers & Jeeps
6ths. Brothers & Brothers*

Colts 1. Brothers & Souths*
Colts 2. UQ* & Souths
Colts 3. Brothers & UQ*

The Really close games (IMO) will be the * ones. Of course anything can and will happen in finals. Think all the 3rd grade games will be the closest this week.

It’s hard to disagree with too many of your tips...the thought of Brothers being in 6 Grand Finals kills me! It’s been a hell of a season for them.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
It’s hard to disagree wit

It’s hard to disagree with too many of your tips.the thought of Brothers being in 6 Grand Finals kills me! It’s been a hell of a season for them.

Lucky for you, being in them and Winning them are two separate issues.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Can we move on!!

I was all on board (and still am) on Paice being granted dispensation on the grounds he is a Souths jr

But for you to bring Connor Tweedy into this on grounds of safety when other posters have mentioned that the colts hooker has played premier grade. Idk mate just doesn’t sit well with me when that kids sitting in hospital and Souths has used colts hooker previously but wants the upgrade of Paice.

Let’s all move on from this and leave the poor terrace kid out of this when he has got nothing to do with Souths finals campaign.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
I was all on board (and still am) on Paice being granted dispensation on the grounds he is a Souths jr

But for you to bring Connor Tweedy into this on grounds of safety when other posters have mentioned that the colts hooker has played premier grade. Idk mate just doesn’t sit well with me when that kids sitting in hospital and Souths has used colts hooker previously but wants the upgrade of Paice.

Let’s all move on from this and leave the poor terrace kid out of this when he has got nothing to do with Souths finals campaign.

Mate I completely understand your position, writing it did give me pause for thought - genuinely so - because I did not want it to come across as crass. I was absolutely shattered when I heard the news about Conor, I have young kids and it made me honestly rethink Rugby as a choice of sport for my two lads. For me though, I know the Colt, he is a truly lovely young kid with a very bright future but he is a just a kid. No matter how much potential, he just finished his first year of colts and has another to go.

If Souths were playing him in Reserve Grade or even against a rubbish Premier Grade Scrum, I would think that he has a better chance of holding his own but against Easts' scrum with contracted players...

I agree, happy to move on but I sincerely did not bring up Conor callously - I know the people at Souths and I think recent events has people very focussed on safety (rightfully so IMHO).

The above aside - should be a cracking weekend of finals football!

Status
Not open for further replies.