• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
True, not fair to the players that do the right thing, but unfortunately the players know they have the clubs over a barrel re fielding teams.

Agreed.

We tried to stick to our guns at $220 in 2017. It didn't work, due partly to external factors (the 2016 brawl), but mostly that guys know they're not going to commit every week, so they only want to pay on the day.

Went to $150, and still got asked for pay-by-week! Dropped to $30 once the grant money came through. Still struggled to pull in all the money per player and that was basically cost price for shorts and socks.

Committee last night was hopeful we can get back to 2 teams on a regular basis with better recruitment, but I'm leery of using the current glow of 2-in-a-row to finish the season as a foundation for success in 2019.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Alrighty - Division 4 has wrapped up their regular season, with Sydney Irish taking the Herlihy Shield as club champions, a mere 40 points ahead of the Berries. Bold planning must have played a part, as they forfeited their Third Grade game to Blacktown on the weekend, putting their trust in Quins finishing over Canterbury in First Grade.

Looking at finals for Division 4, all at Norford this weekend:

McLean Cup
Major: Sydney Irish v Sydney Harlequins - Irish have prevailed home and away this year, with similar scorelines. Irish will be spread out a bit across 3 Grades, but they've got enough pride to try for the big show and have the week off. Harlequins only lost to Irish twice and once to Briars this year, so it'll be a heck of a contest.
Winner: Irish

Minor: Canterbury v Blacktown - Berries won 2 at home, Blacktown won 1 at home. These odd-number divisions suck for that kind of thing, but that's life. I'll back the Berries here.
Winner: Canterbury

Week 2: Quins v Berries - Quins have the wood on them.

GF: Irish v Quins - the men in green to finish the season on a high.

Grose Cup
Major: Sydney Irish v Canterbury - Irish 2s play a fairly stolid rugby, designed to just keep the points ticking over and the opposition over-extending themselves. They dropped 2 games (Canterbury @ Wills & Harlequins @ Waterloo) but will look to use their Open Selection to good effect and shore up any chinks in their defense. Expect them to score in multiples of 3 unless they get a 5m lineout.
Winner: Sydney Irish

Minor: Sydney Harlequins v Macquarie Uni - this should be a cracker. Mac Uni in a finals spot for the first time in a while, and they'll have qualified a few guys down for the attempt, but they only won half their games this year, finishing with a -19 PD. QUins have the advantage of open selection and a Round 14 victory over the Beacons.
Winner: Sydney Harlequins

Week 2: Canterbury v Quins - Berries too strong

GF: Irish v Berries - Berries to upset the apple cart and take their only silverware.

Walker Cup
Major: Canterbury v Oatley - the Berries' only loss this year was at home to Oatley in Round 11, so they'll be fired up to erase that black mark against their name. However, Oatley have been the dominant force in Walker Cup the last couple of years, so I reckon they'll find another gear.
Winner: Oatley

Minor: Blacktown v Sydney Irish - the Warriors will be on a limited roster here, while Irish could pick a few guys down from Seconds to help prop up their chances. I reckon we might see a bit of a reversal here, despite Irish finish 10 points adrift on the table.
Winner: Sydney Irish

Week 2: Canterbury v Irish - Berries to take it

GF: Oatley v Canterbury - Oatley to win again.

Club Champs: Irish
First Grade: Irish
Second Grade: Canterbury
Third Grade: Oatley

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Preliminary Finals

4th Grade
Hills v UNSW - Interesting game this. Hills would have to go in as favourites based on where they finished and their last 3 premiership wins but who knows what is going to turn up from UNSW as they have been really their only realistic chance since the turn of the season. Ill be tipping Hills here by 8

3rd Grade
Lindfield v Hills - Again interesting clash, Hills by all reports were scrappy against Epping and Lindfield showed resilience but were eventually worn down by the big men of Mountains. Ill tip Lindfield in this one but im wondering if last weeks physical game will take its toll on them, but having a fresh bench will help them massively though, Lindfield by 12

Colts
Forest v Lindfield - Looks like the wheels have fallen off the Forest wagon here. After a great start and majority of the season their last 3-4 games they have been poor. Lindfield seem to be running on some momentum and I think that will continue as the defending champs will back themselves to be able to defend their crown. Lindfield in a close one. 3

2nd Grade
Lindfield v Forest - Forest have snuck their way into the finals but have been inconsistent all season. They have benefitted though getting some guys back who have played 1s this season who have come back from injury. Lindfield however though I think will be joining Mountains in the final though, showing they can match with them for periods of the game and also without having a higher grade to back up for will have all their eggs in this basket. Lindfield by 10

1st Grade
Forest v Blue Mountains - I feel for Forest this weekend, some would argue the best side all year in Barraclough Cup but I think they will find themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard against a very very good and in my opinion the best team in the competition all year in Mountains. A big experienced pack setting the platform some very very talented and classy backs that they have on offer. this could blow out late in the game I feel. Mountains by 20

Will be interesting to see how each team plays on the G4 Synthetic Ground at Woollahra Oval this weekend. Not sure it will suit those teams that want to play slow it down rugby or smash and bash. Those that are prepared to use the width will benefit

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
DIV 3

1st grade - BOBs vs HV: BOBs will be disappointed to be having to play this game after just being pipped in a bruising battle against HAC last week. Season form says BOBs should pump Hawke Valley by 30+ but I think this will be a lot closer than many think. I'll go with BOBs to win it late but there is no denying HV are on a massive roll and anything is possible. HV have really developed to be more than just a solid forward pack with some handy talent out wide to compliment. I'd love to go boilover but cant see it happening. The HV fairytale nds Saturday with BOBs by 10+

2nd grade - Newport vs Redfield: Newport were brave early forcing HAC to step it up in the 2nd half to secure in the end a comfortable victory, however the Breakers scrum looked very solid all day. Redfield ground out a tough victory over BOBs. Redfield will benefit from having all other grades now out of finals so they should have plenty of fresh reserves.
Will go with Newport based on forward dominance but fear Redfield have the edge out wide. Breakers by 1

Colts - Newport vs Iggies: Newport saved their worst game of the year for the major semi and BOBs smashed them. Assuming that is a one off however Iggies have proved a handful all year. Breakers by 7

3rd grade - Newport vs Iggies: Iggies were on the receiving end of a solid towelling by red hot Premiership favourties BOBs, whilst Newport overcome a solid Redfield. Newports front row off 50 something year olds could prove the difference with an old fashion scrum lesson denying Iggies enough ball to ignite their backline. Newport by 7

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips
1st Grade - Barker v Valley - Barker to dish out the mother of all beltings to Valley this week and go on to win it all against HAC next week too. Barker 60+
2nd Grade - Newport v Redfield - Redfield to get the job done against Newport's premier team. Grand Final will be a no contest in any result as the winner faces HAC's 2016 1st Grade premiership side next week.
Colts - Newport v Iggies - The experiment to create the perfect aryan race to fail again as it did in 1945. #putyourrmwilliamsout. Barker will be far too good next week in any case.
3rd Grade - Iggies v Newport - I'll take Iggies to get home but then cop an absolute towelling next week against a very strong Barker 3's in the GF.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Any Div 1 picks? I do find it interesting that we don't hear that much about 1st division.

On another note, does anybody know why there are so many former Hawkesbury Valley players at HAC? Is it a case of being a more successful neighbour for the last few years and players have drifted across?

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
There was a group of players who left valley about 4 years ago but this was only about 4 or 5 1st grades. There are a lot of hac blokes who played juniors for valley but play for hac as adults.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Reports from Subbies suggest BOBs have indicated that they have no desire to go to Div 2 next year. They site the challenge of fielding an additional team + expected retirements from this years 50 year club celebrations.

It looks like the Redfield precedent where subbies allowed them to remain in the Div they won will come into play.

Crashy or Ozzie Bob...any comments?

To field an additional side you would need at drum up at least another 25-30 players.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
let me find out.
Interesting..... BOBS used to field up to 6 teams in previous years so its not like going from 4 to 5 teams is out of the ordinary.
The challenge has always been with recruiting coaches and managers...

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Any Div 1 picks? I do find it interesting that we don't hear that much about 1st division.

Probably a hangover from a few years ago when everyone on the forum ripped into Div 1 teams for not being amateur?

But since Hunters are only in the Colts finals, and I've missed that boat by a decade, I might give it a go.
Btw - Mosman are the only Div 1 team in all 6 grades finals, pretty good result by any ones standard.

1st Grade: Major: Petersham v Mosman - Shammies should be able to make it 3/3 so far this year against Mosman. Mosman's ruck defence is where I see this being decided.
1st Grade: Minor: Colleagues v Drummoyne - After conceding 3 scrum tries last week to us, I don't think Drummoyne's centres will be able to make the difference.

2nd Grade: Major: Colleagues v Mosman - going Mosman just cause I can't bear to tip Colleagues twice in a row.
2nd Grade: Minor: Waverley v Drummoyne - With Waverley not having to try and fill any 1st grade injuries, they should get this one.

Colts: Major: Mosman v Colleagues - Mosman's 1st Colts are too good for Colleagues 1sts Colts. Mind you both their 2nd Colts teams had a good season as well.
Colts: Minor: Knox v Hunters Hill - Enough said.

3rd Grade: Major: Knox v Drummoyne - even with this being Knox's highest senior grade, Drummoyne had a good forward pack with a ridiculously good 3rd grade backline last week, some above quality 4th graders as well likely to be on the bench. It'll just depend on if they can keep the ref onside.
3rd Grade: Minor: Mosman v Waverley - Feeling like this'll be the grade Mosman drop this weekend.

4th Grade: Major: Waverley v Colleagues - Waverley's 4th grade had some big boys last time we played them, Colleagues not so much.
4th Grade: Mosman v Petersham - too much depth at Mosman for this to go any other way.

5th Grade - we didn't have a fifth grade so haven't seen any team play.

C

cheekymonkey

Probably a hangover from a few years ago when everyone on the forum ripped into Div 1 teams for not being amateur?

But since Hunters are only in the Colts finals, and I've missed that boat by a decade, I might give it a go.
Btw - Mosman are the only Div 1 team in all 6 grades finals, pretty good result by any ones standard.

1st Grade: Major: Petersham v Mosman - Shammies should be able to make it 3/3 so far this year against Mosman. Mosman's ruck defence is where I see this being decided.
1st Grade: Minor: Colleagues v Drummoyne - After conceding 3 scrum tries last week to us, I don't think Drummoyne's centres will be able to make the difference.

2nd Grade: Major: Colleagues v Mosman - going Mosman just cause I can't bear to tip Colleagues twice in a row.
2nd Grade: Minor: Waverley v Drummoyne - With Waverley not having to try and fill any 1st grade injuries, they should get this one.

Colts: Major: Mosman v Colleagues - Mosman's 1st Colts are too good for Colleagues 1sts Colts. Mind you both their 2nd Colts teams had a good season as well.
Colts: Minor: Knox v Hunters Hill - Enough said.

3rd Grade: Major: Knox v Drummoyne - even with this being Knox's highest senior grade, Drummoyne had a good forward pack with a ridiculously good 3rd grade backline last week, some above quality 4th graders as well likely to be on the bench. It'll just depend on if they can keep the ref onside.
3rd Grade: Minor: Mosman v Waverley - Feeling like this'll be the grade Mosman drop this weekend.

4th Grade: Major: Waverley v Colleagues - Waverley's 4th grade had some big boys last time we played them, Colleagues not so much.
4th Grade: Mosman v Petersham - too much depth at Mosman for this to go any other way.

5th Grade - we didn't have a fifth grade so haven't seen any team play.

How's the club feeling about Div 2 next year?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I am a long way removed from the inner workings of the club being on the other side of the world!

However the only comment I will make is that the 3rd grade side is made up of former 1st grade players who have come back for this season. That has given the club more depth and allowed 2nd grade to be strong. If 3rd grade win the flag then I could see most of that side pulling the pin on their footy. That would mean the club would need to pull together 2 teams worth of players.

Without knowing how many players would come back next year I think the club might not be in a position to move up.

Bobs have been through this before in 2007. They won the 2 Div club champs and moved up to Div 1. There was a big group of mates who decided to go travelling and that left a big hole.

Going up a division if you are unprepared for it can have a massive negative impact and may not be in the clubs best interest.

Canterbury and Redfield have both won club champs in the last few years and not moved up.

I am not sure how Beecroft would feel about this though. Can subbies force clubs to play in divisions?

Reports from Subbies suggest BOBs have indicated that they have no desire to go to Div 2 next year. They site the challenge of fielding an additional team + expected retirements from this years 50 year club celebrations.

It looks like the Redfield precedent where subbies allowed them to remain in the Div they won will come into play.

Crashy or Ozzie Bob.any comments?

To field an additional side you would need at drum up at least another 25-30 players.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Same thing happened at HAC for the 125th Anniversary in 2016. We are still rebuilding our lower grades from all the long term players who retired after the success of that anniversary year.

Status
Not open for further replies.