• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got some good oil today re TSS 10;

This year first XV at TSS. Starting Ozzy schools 10 last year. No interest from any Australian sides. Crusaders signed him before the start of the season. Was keen to stay in Aus. Asked not to be considered for any rep reams. ARU cried foul after he was signed.

Take that to the bank.
I am more pissed gps schools wasting scholarships on nz kids likely to go back to nz personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Third year first XV at TSS. Starting Ozzy schools 10 last year. No interest from any Australian sides. Crusaders signed him before the start of the season. Was keen to stay in Aus. Asked not to be considered for any rep reams. ARU cried foul after he was signed.

Take that to the bank.

Are you able to clarify "asked not to be considered by any reply teams" i.e. when & by whom?

B

Bobby Sands

Are you able to clarify "asked not to be considered by any reply teams" i.e. when & by whom?

The source I got it from said, because he was going to the Crusaders he asked not to be selected for the GPS, or QLD Schools programs so he could focus on TSS's season. This is also supported by the rugby.com.au article from yesterday.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)

Third year first XV at TSS. Starting Ozzy schools 10 last year. No interest from any Australian sides. Crusaders signed him before the start of the season. Was keen to stay in Aus. Asked not to be considered for any rep reams. ARU cried foul after he was signed.

Take that to the bank.

Sorry, I don’t buy that. Sounds like an apologist story from a parent who wants to try to justify their star player’s defection to another country by jumping straight onto the incompetent QRU/ARU bandwagon.

The kid is in year 12 for fucks sake, and he couldn’t wait a couple of months to see if an Australian club had interest in him? In fact, he had to have a contract signed before the GPS season even began. Bullshit.

The more obvious and likely story, he’s a kiwi, he wants to play the Crusaders and the All Blacks. So be it.

B

Bobby Sands

I have a text message from someone involved with the TSS XV that isn't the head coach. But believe what you want, it doesn't change anything.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The source I got it from said, because he was going to the Crusaders he asked not to be selected for the GPS, or QLD Schools programs so he could focus on TSS's season. This is also supported by the rugby.com.au article from yesterday.

Interesting. If he'd committed to those rep programs then fucked off I'd fully understand QRU & RA being pissed & using the P word. But if what you're hearing is correct then it's more a case of the boy choosing an option not to QRU's or RA's liking in which case they've got no grounds for complaint.

EDIT: even if he didn't expressly state his reason for not wanting to play rep footy, it shouldn't have been too hard to connect the dots: kiwi-born kid, last year at school, doesn't want to play rep footy for us, why? Oh, maybe he wants to go back to NZ & try his luck there.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting. If he'd committed to those rep programs then fucked off I'd fully understand QRU & RA being pissed & using the P word. But if what you're hearing is correct then it's more a case of the boy choosing an option not to QRU's or RA's liking in which case they've got no grounds for complaint.

True enough. I mean the QRU "P-worded" a foreign schoolboy player back in 2014. That poach – there, I've said it – of the Tongan Thor wasn't to the NZRU's liking.

But, in that case as well this one, the player didn't take the rep team carrot. There might be grounds for grumbing if they had, but it wasn't so.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ the point is that QRU & RA could poach the entire Auckland Grammer 1st XV & you'd never see an article on all blacks.com comparable to the one that appeared on rugby.com.au

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
^^^^^^ the point is that QRU & RA could poach the entire Auckland Grammer 1st XV & you'd never see an article on all blacks.com comparable to the one that appeared on rugby.com.au

They are different websites. rugby.com.au are trying to compete with the Telegraph, SMH - branded as an independent media arm of Rugby Australia which often breaks/writes unfavourable stories about Super clubs + slams the Wallabies when necessary. Allblacks.com is not that nor is it trying to be - which is completely fine - apples to oranges comparison

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Holier than thou? :)

Fine, you won't see me riding to the rescue of rugby.com.au, or even reading blacks.com.

In the case of the former, the ARU hired a few scribes and are trying to write news ahead of just making it … So that's what you're gonna get.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They are different websites. rugby.com.au are trying to compete with the Telegraph, SMH - branded as an independent media arm of Rugby Australia which often breaks/writes unfavourable stories about Super clubs + slams the Wallabies when necessary. Allblacks.com is not that nor is it trying to be - which is completely fine - apples to oranges comparison

Yeah, although I wonder how far that independence goes.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If my son is ever good enough to get an offer to sign with the Crusaders I would tell him he is stupid not to take it.

Learn from the best for a few years and then choose what ever team in the world you want.

I am a Reds fan but surely anyone who follows rugby would have to think that spending a few years in the Crusaders set up has to be better than anything on offer in Australia.

While it is a shame to miss out on talent I am glad the boy has some smart people around him to guide him to what is best for him.

I am sure if he is that good then the Reds will gladly have him when he is 23, has finished growing and has 50 super rugby matches behind him

B

Bobby Sands

EDIT: even if he didn't expressly state his reason for not wanting to play rep footy, it shouldn't have been too hard to connect the dots: kiwi-born kid, last year at school, doesn't want to play rep footy for us, why? Oh, maybe he wants to go back to NZ & try his luck there.

The text said he told them and was up front. Apparently is very "grounded."

Any 10 playing 1's at TSS in year 10 must be alright ;)