• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I actualy think Daley would thrive in the Thorn coached team, he never backs down and always apeared that he would be a good trainer.

I expect him to thrive off the bench

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I actualy think Daley would thrive in the Thorn coached team, he never backs down and always apeared that he would be a good trainer.

I expect him to thrive off the bench
Swapping James Slipper for Ben Daily isnt really a win..

H

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Jim McKay named mention in attack coach talks. Along with Phill Mooney and Shane Dram.
The position closes Wednesday so hurry and get your applications in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well that seems very good news amongst the gloom. Hopefully that report is true. Jim McKay would be a great addition.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jim McKay named mention in attack coach talks. Along with Phill Mooney and Shane Dram.

Has he been loitering in the car park?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's the point of this 'salary cap' if the Rebels get to be the exception?

Do you really think Slipper would command much now? I'd imagine he's pretty keen on staying in Aus rugby and his price would reflect that and his recent fuck up.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Do you really think Slipper would command much now?

He's arguably the second best loose head prop in the country, a former Wallabies Captain, Captain of the Reds and has almost 90 Wallabies caps. He also showed in that trial game that even after a few months away from the game to be in solid form.

Anyone who isn't Brad Thorn can sympathize with James and I would doubt hold him dabbling with the colombian candy as too much of a black mark.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's arguably the second best loose head prop in the country, a former Wallabies Captain, Captain of the Reds and has almost 90 Wallabies caps. He also showed in that trial game that even after a few months away from the game to be in solid form.

Anyone who isn't Brad Thorn can sympathize with James and I would doubt hold him dabbling with the colombian candy as too much of a black mark.

All those things are true but the other truth is that it seems the door is closed to him at the Reds, the Brumbies and Waratahs either don't need him or have stated they aren't interested which leaves him with one team he can play for if he wants to continue his career in Australia.

Overseas he would command big dollars and his indiscretions would barely rate a mention but in Australia he seems like a price taker.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you really think Slipper would command much now? I'd imagine he's pretty keen on staying in Aus rugby and his price would reflect that and his recent fuck up.

His contract price is set - the Rebels will pay their share for the amount he signed before the stuff up. The ARU can't tear up his contract and offer him a reduced one, so neither can the Rebels.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His contract price is set - the Rebels will pay their share for the amount he signed before the stuff up. The ARU can't tear up his contract and offer him a reduced one, so neither can the Rebels.

The RA part sure, but the Reds component isn't fixed. For him to go to the Rebels, the Reds need to release him from their contract. If Slipper is keen to play rugby, the Reds are keen to get him off their books and the Rebels are keen to sign him then it could easily be Slipper taking the hit by agreeing for the Reds to release him from his existing contract.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the point of this 'salary cap' if the Rebels get to be the exception?

Im going on the offensive here.

Where are they spending more than the other teams?

Tahs have the 3 most expensive players in the country (Beale, Folau and Hooper). Then other people like Kepu, Simmons, Rona, Phipps, Robertson, etc. not a word from anyone on their cap issues. To be honest i don't really care if they are or arent.

Brumbies were talking about signing Kerevi only a week ago, this would go with Pocock, Samu, AAT, Sio, Speight, Carter, Arnold, CLL, Powell, Kurindrani and not a word from people about how can they afford to make a bid.

QLD pissed up Hunt, Slipper, Quade, Frisby, add to this Kerevi, Lance, Tupou, Rodda, Tui, Higgers, Smith, Douglas and not a word

Yet one team has Koroibete, Genia, Coleman, Faulkner, Hodge, DHP, Naivalu, Mafi, Uelese and Timani and everyone loses their minds.

It's purely because people want it to be the case, but don't actually critically evaluate it.

Personally i have no issues with Tahs, Brums having such rich rosters, good on them, it's great for the game here to have so many people involved or staying in the country.

B

Bobby Sands

McKay is a genius. Surprised he is open to coming back.

B

Bobby Sands

Im going on the offensive here.

Where are they spending more than the other teams?

Tahs have the 3 most expensive players in the country (Beale, Folau and Hooper). Then other people like Kepu, Simmons, Rona, Phipps, Robertson, etc. not a word from anyone on their cap issues. To be honest i don't really care if they are or arent.

Brumbies were talking about signing Kerevi only a week ago, this would go with Pocock, Samu, AAT, Sio, Speight, Carter, Arnold, CLL, Powell, Kurindrani and not a word from people about how can they afford to make a bid.

QLD pissed up Hunt, Slipper, Quade, Frisby, add to this Kerevi, Lance, Tupou, Rodda, Tui, Higgers, Smith, Douglas and not a word

Yet one team has Koroibete, Genia, Coleman, Faulkner, Hodge, DHP, Naivalu, Mafi, Uelese and Timani and everyone loses their minds.

It's purely because people want it to be the case, but don't actually critically evaluate it.

Personally i have no issues with Tahs, Brums having such rich rosters, good on them, it's great for the game here to have so many people involved or staying in the country.

Big boy, you have 50 (sic) players on your list. Its an exemption because you essentially absorbed the Western Force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
For him to go to the Rebels, the Reds need to release him from their contract.

Or … he's on a loan arrangement.

I know this sort of thing doesn't really happen in Australia but perhaps the time could be nigh.

In the case of Slipper and/or Daley, that would probably have to be mutually agreed by all parties involved. This is not quite Euro soccer.

But clearly the Reds are a little tight for reddies, so the Rebels pay Slipper's wedge. By convention, as a loan player for the season, he doesn't play against his original club.

Also, a season is a long time in rugby. There might be changes at the Reds in terms of policy, personnel or both in that time. Then, who knows? After a year away, the loan term might end.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
I do recall NZR going hard out to keep him in NZ but I don't recall them spitting the dummy when they didn't.

How is RA spitting the dummy here? As you said yourself the story was actually filled with quotes with RA doing anything but... You've taken a headline and run realllly far with it which is not representative of RA's views on the matter