• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Close. 15 is Jack Bowyer. won the GPS u16 100m and came second in the 200m in 2017
11 Stevens came second in the GPS Open 200m in 2017. didn't run the 100m as Ashley Moloney from BBC won.

Jack Bowen-Bowyer won the GPS U16 200m in 2017 with a time of 22.26, beating BSHS' Cowley (22.60).

He came second to Cowley in the 100m by 2/100ths of a second (11.17, vs 11.15). Bowen-Bowyer also ran the anchor leg of the U16 4x100 and 4x400 relays, finishing third in both.

Shayden Steven's PB in the 100m was 10.89 as of August 2017. You'd imagine he had bettered that time in the 12 months since.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Apologies, My mistake - I was thinking that they were all genuine Grade 12's i.e. 17 yo this year as Bowyer is, and thus U18 in the QLD T&F competition.
Savage must be a new recruit to BBC this year as he was not at GPS T&F last year. Is that the case? BBC seem to have a penchant for Grade 11 recruits.
As GT parents like to say (“ he is here for track and field, just happens to play Rugby also “)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Rugby is the Winner

There is no shame in getting towelled by the Churchie Front Row - their set piece might be the best in the competition with Crothers and Tominiko - but also a guy like Max Drummond that doesn't get much attention compared to other names. Add in Fewtrell and Macpherson at lock and outside of TSS's tight 5 .......I struggle to see many others matching up with them

What also was evident in their win over GT is that Connor McKinlay proved he was one of maybe a couple of names as to who is amongst the premier 7's of this year's competition . Sort of unfathomable how he was left out of Rep Season honours.

Churchie are a very good team and continue to be the team that no one really saw coming this year and will definitely challenge the 2 and 3 spots on the table .........probably a little more than what I thought TGS might have who now have had 2 x big lickings in a row

For poor old Terrace .......they limp into their next match up with a hot to trot Grammar team that may not get a win this season but they'll die trying . Their next hit out against Terrace and then BSHS after that are probably their best chances

Ear

Peter Burge (5)
Round 4: Ipswich Grammar School vs Brisbane Boys' College

U15A - 0:16 min IGS 19 - BBC 6
U16A - 2:04 min IGS 17 - BBC 12
2nd XV - 3:44 min IGS 7 - BBC 34
1st XV - 5:59 min IGS 12 - BBC 55

Thanks for sharing. There are some big boys coming through the Ipswich system. They could be a force in 2019/20

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The might be if big = big production in what helps to win games

A smaller team like Grammar , whilst winless, are definitely more competitive by playing with heart and brains. The lack of discipline from IGS on Saturday was obvious - so much so , that the Ref seemed to have a bromance going on with BBC's Captain - calling him by his first name and asking him if he'd like to do this , like to do that - whereas , The Ref seemed openly contemptuous of the Ipswich Team and their Captain by only addressing him as "Ipswich Captain" , or even not at all , as he was waved off on a couple of approaches . You could hear the way the Ipswich players spoke to each other as well which wasn't great

All is not lost for the Switch however when you look ahead to 2019 . They figure to have the best halves pairing in the Comp with their 9 an early strong candidate for Australian Schools honours if he can play with the poise and discipline he is capable of . They are going to be highly capable of having a great width game with some genuine finishers out wide ......maybe not with the speed of what will be in the BBC stable over the next 2 years - but genuinely strong finishers who know how to get it done. The blueprint for IGS has always seemed to be own size and muscle early which inevitably fades away come Opens , and yeah , they have 1 or 2 super sized beings for next year but I reckon their calling card will be their hustlers in the 16's forward pack to match up with their game winning halves and their finishers out wide . The try on the highlights above with the 16's 2 charging down the clearing kick to regather and score to go with a couple of turnovers he shared with their No 1 sort of says what their pack can be and should be about . There is a bit of Zac Crothers in the 16's 2 .

The point being is that the Switch can be a very strong team in 2019 and definitely be in the mix in the top half of the table if they tap into it what is already there and not as obvious in the fascination for size and not much else. They have the guns and the support crew to give it a red hot go next year

Back to this year ....Nudgee are also not an exceptionally big team this year at least not to a significant comparative advantage but are obviously one of the competition favourites to take it out

Big isn’t always better , it helps - but only if coached right and the guy gives a shit

Reactions: Ear

Ear

Peter Burge (5)
The might be if big = big production in what helps to win games

A smaller team like Grammar , whilst winless, are definitely more competitive by playing with heart and brains. The lack of discipline from IGS on Saturday was obvious - so much so , that the Ref seemed to have a bromance going on with BBC's Captain - calling him by his first name and asking him if he'd like to do this , like to do that - whereas , The Ref seemed openly contemptuous of the Ipswich Team and their Captain by only addressing him as "Ipswich Captain" , or even not at all , as he was waved off on a couple of approaches . You could hear the way the Ipswich players spoke to each other as well which wasn't great

All is not lost for the Switch however when you look ahead to 2019 . They figure to have the best halves pairing in the Comp with their 9 an early strong candidate for Australian Schools honours if he can play with the poise and discipline he is capable of . They are going to be highly capable of having a great width game with some genuine finishers out wide ..maybe not with the speed of what will be in the BBC stable over the next 2 years - but genuinely strong finishers who know how to get it done. The blueprint for IGS has always seemed to be own size and muscle early which inevitably fades away come Opens , and yeah , they have 1 or 2 super sized beings for next year but I reckon their calling card will be their hustlers in the 16's forward pack to match up with their game winning halves and their finishers out wide . The try on the highlights above with the 16's 2 charging down the clearing kick to regather and score to go with a couple of turnovers he shared with their No 1 sort of says what their pack can be and should be about . There is a bit of Zac Crothers in the 16's 2 .

The point being is that the Switch can be a very strong team in 2019 and definitely be in the mix in the top half of the table if they tap into it what is already there and not as obvious in the fascination for size and not much else. They have the guns and the support crew to give it a red hot go next year

Back to this year ..Nudgee are also not an exceptionally big team this year at least not to a significant comparative advantage but are obviously one of the competition favourites to take it out

Big isn’t always better , it helps - but only if coached right and the guy gives a shit
I totally agree on your comments regarding the Ref and BBC Captain on the weekend. I thought that was a bit strange.

I have been to 2 Nudgee games this year and the Number 10 (Pasitoa) looks to be a world of class above anyone else on the field. However I still have not seen the TSS Number 10 (Parata) in action. Parata v Gordon will be a great battle this week.

Does anyone know what games are live streamed this week? TSS v BBC is shaping up to be the game of the round.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
@Rugby is the Winner

There is no shame in getting towelled by the Churchie Front Row - their set piece might be the best in the competition with Crothers and Tominiko - but also a guy like Max Drummond that doesn't get much attention compared to other names. Add in Fewtrell and Macpherson at lock and outside of TSS's tight 5 ...I struggle to see many others matching up with them

Do we know why GT continue to put untrained Props in their Firsts though?? After watching the 2nds Props, in my humble opinion they are both as good as those in the Firsts, and talking to a few of the parents there on Saturday I understand they have been playing good rugby.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
What also was evident in their win over GT is that Connor McKinlay proved he was one of maybe a couple of names as to who is amongst the premier 7's of this year's competition . Sort of unfathomable how he was left out of Rep Season honours.

Have to agree GO. Connor is getting better each game. From the games I have seen so far he has been the standout 7.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Have to agree GO. Connor is getting better each game. From the games I have seen so far he has been the standout 7.
Well the DOR at Churchie is the current Aussie Schools Coach and there are still 5 spots available when the teams are announced next Tuesday, so you never know....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
The GT scrum seems to be a bit lacking this year, one would have thought with one of the returning Props from last years First XV and the new lad from ATC, who by all accounts was supposed to be pretty special that they should be at least holding their own. The Churchie scrum absolutely destroyed them in each scrum on the weekend. Will be interesting to see them up against TSS. I might just have to make a trip to the coast to watch that one.

When the GT seconds played my sons team last week they had two very big props who had a few good runs and made a few good tackles, but we’re penalised repeatedly at the scrum. But the GT firsts props did twice the work and dominated the scrum. No brainer. From what I saw the best props for GT are in their firsts.

Went out to watch Nudgee on Saturday to see them for myself. That’s a pretty good schoolboy side. Who is all hoping NC and TSS remain undefeated all year so we can have a “final” in the last round?

WW Bench

Bob McCowan (2)
TSS v BBC
Ok so TSS strolled past Brisbane Grammar and I don’t think they even broke a sweat. Yes, the score was tight but from what I can tell that wasn’t the side that played TGS the week before. Please, I don’t want to take anything away from BGS, as I said they are starting to go well, for a bunch of skinny little white kids. This will be tight, as expected BBC smoked the boys from Ipswich on the weekend and I would think they are starting to see themselves as a chance. The BBC outside backs are super quick. Seriously…. more toe in that back line than an Ipswich Mum’s jandal. So, expect them to spin this wide and take on the TSS outside backs, which if they have a weak spot and I am not saying they do, but if they do, it may be out wide. I am starting to get on the bandwagon for these boys, this is going to be the upset of the round. The Spoiler…. BBC by 5

BSHS v TGS
Ok so from what I can gather, TGS decided after their bashing by TSS to leave everything unchanged and hope for the best, because of lightning cant strike twice. Well, I am afraid the best didn’t happen, and lightning also known as the Nudgee backs struck them sh$tloads of times particularly out wide. So, this week they front up against BSHS in Brisbane. Now these two school couldn’t be anymore different, in fact they are opposites, a real yin and yang, this is country vs city, different in every possible way, only common ground that they have would appear to have is their love of Dual Cab 4 x 4 Utes, one for piggin and the other for their versatility in ram raids. Farmers this is your chance to redeem yourself, alias I do however expect that you will roll out the same dog and pony show as the last two weeks and probably get the same result. The street fighters from BSHS will be too much to handle for the beaten bush boys. BSHS by 12.

Churchie v IGS
Just cringeworthy seeing black people movers parked all over the Churchie grounds. I like to call this the oil and water round for Churchie Mums, they don’t mix well. Ippy are a little underwhelming at the moment and they will be still a little cranky that they let the Farmers in two weeks ago, because that was a win that would have been very useful about now. They perhaps would view themselves as a slight chance here, however, I expect that Churchie will be too strong at home, and seriously they don’t want the death stares from Mum Saturday night over a Chardy and Brie if they lose. Churchie by 5.

Terrace v BGS
BGS has a little loose forward that looks like he weighs 50kg but he plays like a 100kg Tongan backrower, who just lost his girlfriend to the opposition 10, super busy and super aggressive, like a cross between Mighty Mouse and a Tasmanian Devil. I mention him because he epitomizes the attitude of BGS rugby this season, punching higher above their weight than Karl Stefanovic. I think BGS should be a little bit proud of what they are achieving people are starting to take notice. This week they take on GT, who got rolled by the Vikings last week. BGS will think they are a puncher’s chance here and I think they potentially are as well, this could be another upset and potentially the game of the round. BGS by 2.

Rest well Nudge.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
TSS v BBC
Ok so TSS strolled past Brisbane Grammar and I don’t think they even broke a sweat. Yes, the score was tight but from what I can tell that wasn’t the side that played TGS the week before. Please, I don’t want to take anything away from BGS, as I said they are starting to go well, for a bunch of skinny little white kids. This will be tight, as expected BBC smoked the boys from Ipswich on the weekend and I would think they are starting to see themselves as a chance. The BBC outside backs are super quick. Seriously…. more toe in that back line than an Ipswich Mum’s jandal. So, expect them to spin this wide and take on the TSS outside backs, which if they have a weak spot and I am not saying they do, but if they do, it may be out wide. I am starting to get on the bandwagon for these boys, this is going to be the upset of the round. The Spoiler…. BBC by 5

BSHS v TGS
Ok so from what I can gather, TGS decided after their bashing by TSS to leave everything unchanged and hope for the best, because of lightning cant strike twice. Well, I am afraid the best didn’t happen, and lightning also known as the Nudgee backs struck them sh$tloads of times particularly out wide. So, this week they front up against BSHS in Brisbane. Now these two school couldn’t be anymore different, in fact they are opposites, a real yin and yang, this is country vs city, different in every possible way, only common ground that they have would appear to have is their love of Dual Cab 4 x 4 Utes, one for piggin and the other for their versatility in ram raids. Farmers this is your chance to redeem yourself, alias I do however expect that you will roll out the same dog and pony show as the last two weeks and probably get the same result. The street fighters from BSHS will be too much to handle for the beaten bush boys. BSHS by 12.

Churchie v IGS
Just cringeworthy seeing black people movers parked all over the Churchie grounds. I like to call this the oil and water round for Churchie Mums, they don’t mix well. Ippy are a little underwhelming at the moment and they will be still a little cranky that they let the Farmers in two weeks ago, because that was a win that would have been very useful about now. They perhaps would view themselves as a slight chance here, however, I expect that Churchie will be too strong at home, and seriously they don’t want the death stares from Mum Saturday night over a Chardy and Brie if they lose. Churchie by 5.

Terrace v BGS
BGS has a little loose forward that looks like he weighs 50kg but he plays like a 100kg Tongan backrower, who just lost his girlfriend to the opposition 10, super busy and super aggressive, like a cross between Mighty Mouse and a Tasmanian Devil. I mention him because he epitomizes the attitude of BGS rugby this season, punching higher above their weight than Karl Stefanovic. I think BGS should be a little bit proud of what they are achieving people are starting to take notice. This week they take on GT, who got rolled by the Vikings last week. BGS will think they are a puncher’s chance here and I think they potentially are as well, this could be another upset and potentially the game of the round. BGS by 2.

Rest well Nudge.

Yes agree with you on the BSHS v TGS game. The post match festivities at the pavilion after last weeks game seemed more like a wake, with many a punter shaking their heads in disbelief, with a "what the f@#k was that" been murmured quietly amongst the mob.
In reluctant defense of TGS there was a winger back from injury which seemed to stop tries bleeding on that side of the park. And the 15 and 13 were swapped around, which just seemed to cause more confusion then it was worth, a bit like moving the deck chairs around the Titanic. The forwards made a better fist of it and it was certainly worth watching for the battle in the scrums.
You would have thought they would have taken something out of the lesson they received from TSS instead of coming out and doing it all over again against Nudgee. Can we expect a different game plan for BSHS, if past history is any sort of guide the answer is "NO".

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
TSS v BBC -TSS by 14 - Haven't seen BBC but Think TSS will be too good
BSHS v TGS -TGS 8 - TGS after two big flogging will regroup and win this one
Churchie v IGS - Churchie 9 - Worry game for ACGS- Two good wins so far -
Terrace v BGS - GT by 14 - Cant see BGS winning this one. GT will be embarrassed by their season thus far and will respond.

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
BBC possess the talent to upset TSS tomorrow. However, like many on this form I suspect they don’t believe they can.

Parata’s kicking game will tear the game apart after a tight first twenty minutes.

TSS by 17.