• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Saturday 18 August 2018 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I should add I was sitting up high at ANZ watching the game and had good aerial view.

From defence perspective game of two halves - first half was superb in your face defence from the Wallabies where if any NZ player managed to make a half break or find a gap it was quickly closed down. All the NZ's around me were equally praising superb Wallaby defence.

Then in second half was completely different where just lost their whole structure as AB's made few telling breaks and gained momentum and of course aided by set piece (scrum and lineout) completely going crap with it.

Could not have been prouder of Wallabies defence in first half (yeh attack like second half always faltered on those last few critical passes but defence in first half was superb and best I have seen at this level for a while).

But gees the second half was like watching a different side and almost a tier 2 level side as the Wallabies whole structure seem to implode. I was just wishing that half time never happened as was like watching 2 completely different sides in second half (unfortunately Kiwi's also found their groove as wallabies defence pressure subsided and their structure came unstuck)!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Question for the Law experts: is it still the case that only a second-rower can bind on a front-rower? I noticed on a few occasions that Tui was binding on his hooker which I didn't think he was allowed to do.
Law says he has to be bound to the second row with a full arm so technically illegal

One that annoyed me - as always the ref completely ignored the offside line at the scrum (for both sides)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Should also add they seemed to do the music and supporting entertainment quite well at the game. The music they had in the background at the start was sort of chilling like entering the cauldron. So well done for organisers on that front.

The music added to the atmosphere I felt and even if music overlapped some of the starting plays that was ok and probably should be traded off to make rugby more entertainment package. Also the car competition where the first guy out of three kick a rugby ball into the boot of a landrover and won a $100k landrover was pretty cool.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Set piece, set piece and set piece, and coaching, coaching and coaching. End of.

Foley bashers need to find a different game than this one as your base case. And then you need to justify your alternative. No one is claiming he’s the messiah, only that he’s the best option we have. Installing To'omua there just introduces a worse kicking game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And I love how the NZ rule book is different to everyone else’s. Not saying they shouldn’t have won, but..

c25110a2309c165971aefed610df70aa.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Law says he has to be bound to the second row with a full arm so technically illegal

One that annoyed me - as always the ref completely ignored the offside line at the scrum (for both sides)

I'm assuming the intent was to prevent our THP disrupting your LHP's bind on his hooker, but would it not destabilize Tui's side of the scrum? He's not really able to push with his arm that far forward, I'd have thought?

And I love how the NZ rule book is different to everyone else’s. Not saying they shouldn’t have won, but..

Lands on head = Red;
Lands on shoulder = Yellow;
Lands on elbow = Penalty only.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm assuming the intent was to prevent our THP disrupting your LHP's bind on his hooker, but would it not destabilize Tui's side of the scrum? He's not really able to push with his arm that far forward, I'd have thought?

Lands on head = Red;
Lands on shoulder = Yellow;
Lands on elbow = Penalty only.

Shhh WOB, we won't be pointing out things like that when there a ref moan on!! Though to be fair if he had got carded I had no probs, as I believe once you breal a law like that you at the Refs mercey!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway after a night to think on it, I am convinced ABs won that in the second 20, Wallabies defended so bloody well, but looked like they were tiring at halftime, and I actually was quite confident that ABs would be too strong in second 40. I actually understand the pain of Wallabie's supporters, but I really think in general they weren't all that bad, just as they tired the brains weren't operating quick enough!
As for ABs, geez that pack went well, Lurch is just a monster, and may need a talking to for selling a dummy and strolling into score a try like that. Whitelock, Read and co were all bloody good as well, and Sam Cane was immense also, and seeing as he not even in top 3 7s (I know that because I have read it time and again on internet forums;)) he didn't go bad.
In backline similar story with that useless BB, for an out of form player etc he struggled through ok, likewise DMac! Seems ABs could be quite good if Shag reads forums and gets rid of those players:rolleyes:.
Jack goodhue would be feeling pretty good today too, apart from knocking out Crotty I thought he looked good!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Watched the 1st half scrums again and I couldn't really see it WO. Any ideas when?

Just something I noticed on the rewatch - Tui moved to 8 on defensive scrums. Poey on the left and Hooper on the right side

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It's at least a yellow card every day of the week. Putting your arm out to stop your head/shoulder hitting the ground doesn't change anything.

With all we know about concussions and neck injuries, it's bizarre that anyone would argue that this tackle is penalty only.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Shhh WOB, we won't be pointing out things like that when there a ref moan on!! Though to be fair if he had got carded I had no probs, as I believe once you breal a law like that you at the Refs mercey!
You’ve been watching QLD GPS Rugby, you know the issue with neck injuries. You can’t put a guy in a position where the only thing stopping him potentially breaking his neck is that he’s managed to stick his arm out at the last second.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I hope Apple don't want to sponsor the Wallabies because after last night they'd be known as The Apple Turnovers...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Set piece, set piece and set piece, and coaching, coaching and coaching. End of.

As Matthew Burke noted in commentary a few times: why are the Wallabies trying to run the ball out from their own line (when the AB defence is organised) when Hodge can boot the ball 50 metres downfield for a lineout?

It's all very well to want to attack at every opportunity, but attacking when there's no opportunity makes no sense and more importantly against quality opposition won't succeed.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Peyper is pretty ordinary.

Read slaps the ball out of Genia’s hands at the back of our rolling maul, Peyper: “he came through the middle.”
Five minutes later when Genia questions him about it, “sorry I missed that.”

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The ref was fine. A few 50/50s went against us, but that's rugby. ABs were clearly the better team and nothing the ref did had any significant impact on that.

That doesn't alter the fact that the tackle in question should have resulted in at least a yellow card. It's just not on to allow that sort of tackle at any level of the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Peyper is pretty ordinary.

Read slaps the ball out of Genia’s hands at the back of our rolling maul, Peyper: “he came through the middle.”
Five minutes later when Genia questions him about it, “sorry I missed that.”

He's not known at the random penalty generator for nothing.

But having said that he seems to have a good rapport with the players and unlike many other refs, he seems to have an understanding of the game. There's plenty worse around.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He's not known at the random penalty generator for nothing.

But having said that he seems to have a good rapport with the players and unlike many other refs, he seems to have an understanding of the game. There's plenty worse around.
Yeah he just seems to be looking the wrong way half the time and miss things.

Status
Not open for further replies.