• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JB, do you think he fared well in Bledisloe 2 when the pack was at least at parity? If managing the backline is a measure of the No 10, then it would be best to forget all about his efforts last time around.

The pack was never at parity. Maybe we got close at the set piece but even that is debatable. We got smashed at the breakdown and in the collisions.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think To'omua/Beale warrants a go at 10/12 but Foley is then on the pine.
It wouldn't be bad to do this against the Argies at home maybe.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I see a very good article i the Oz today by Mark Ella suggesting that the Wallabies should change the way they play against the ABs if we seriously wish to challenge them. He's pretty much on the money.
In recent times we have tried to beat them at their own game, which will almost never work as the recent record suggests.
We need to be multi faceted and be able to pull a couple of different game plans out of the bag.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/638a57e239b4c00a775e2bebef0ac25d

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The pack was never at parity. Maybe we got close at the set piece but even that is debatable. We got smashed at the breakdown and in the collisions.

The battle of the packs in open play is ostensibly 8 ABs v 7 Wallabies. And we don't even have our own man-monster there to counteract Retallick. Improvements could be made very easily and quickly. Just needs a couple of personnel changes and we'd be better at the breakdown, if not at parity.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The battle of the packs in open play is ostensibly 8 ABs v 7 Wallabies. And we don't even have our own man-monster there to counteract Retallick. Improvements could be made very easily and quickly. Just needs a couple of personnel changes and we'd be better at the breakdown, if not at parity.

Yeah let's just pluck a Brodie Retallick out of club land. You haven't noticed 3 of the ABs forwards play loose in open play?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BR is referring to Arnold, who definitely deserves to be starting and would add a bit of starch to the pack.....

It's not going to solve the Wallabies overall problems though.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Rodda was a deserved starter when he got selected, as was Coleman. Simmons was there for his set piece experience and because he's 'the world's best lineout caller' (in BR's words). All 3 were lacklustre in the Bledisloes and Arnold MIGHT be an upgrade but maybe not also. He's certainly no Retallick.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Arnold is definitely the closest we've got to Retallick, and I have no doubt he would have been starting v Ireland had he not been suspended at the time. He was the form Lock in Aus over the Super season prior to his suspension (which incidentally wouldn't be more than a penalty in these latter days of the Super season and the RC).

Three of the ABs back row might play a loose game when the situation requires, but they are always integral to the whole of the forward pack. Apart from hanging off the side of scrums, MH is much more likely to be found somewhere in the backline on both attack and defense. I am still waiting for someone to define his actual role in the team. It doesn't correspond to any role I've ever seen up until now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wallabies squad for South Africa and Argentina

Forwards: Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Folau Fainga'a, Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper (capt), Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Tom Robertson, Izack Rodda, Pete Samu, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Caleb Timu, Lukhan Tui, Taniela Tupou.

Backs: Tom Banks, Kurtley Beale, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Dane Haylett- Petty, Reece Hodge, Marika Koroibete, Jack Maddocks, Nick Phipps, Joe Powell, Matt To'omua.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not everyone can be a constant cynic. It's draining.

Contrary to popular belief I am not a cynic, but I don't let my belief that we have some very good resource delude me into thinking that they are well managed or developed.

I have never lost hope that perhaps the real issues will be realised and addressed. These are not cynical thought processes, I do however find it both very amusing and frustrating that people who should know better choose to be blind to the real reasons of disfunction and declining outcomes.

Reactions: dru

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fewer than seven years in Super Rugby, fewer than 60 caps for Aus, Skelton isn't happening. He also just signed his deal with Saracens last year.