• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
The 2nds has also developed into a tight comp. TSS, NC undefeated, Churchie 1 loss, BBC 2 lost. I am tipping Churchie to defeat NC this weekend in a tight one and I think NC will defeat TSS the following weekend. which would lead to a shared title.

As usual, the seconds have been a bit weird this year. Outside of NC, the rest have not always performed the way you think they should.

Churchie and Ipswich case in point. I don't see NC losing to churchie at all, unless that team is suddenly full of players who haven't been there earlier in the year. Ipswich also went from usually being on the wrong end of a cricket score to almost knocking off TSS, which is pretty impressive. In theory they should thump GT then, but which team will play?

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
New
Churchie v Nudgee - Nudgee by 30
Terrace v Ipswich - GT by 3
BSHS v BBC - BBC by 35
BGS v TGS - BGS by 14

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
As usual, the seconds have been a bit weird this year. Outside of NC, the rest have not always performed the way you think they should.

Churchie and Ipswich case in point. I don't see NC losing to churchie at all, unless that team is suddenly full of players who haven't been there earlier in the year. Ipswich also went from usually being on the wrong end of a cricket score to almost knocking off TSS, which is pretty impressive. In theory they should thump GT then, but which team will play?

A couple of bright spots for TGS the 16B's are currently undefeated with a point differential of 144, and the Thirds have only lost one game and have a point differential of 212, a very tough side which which seem to know how to win.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah the 2nds has been a real interesting Race this year

BBC had TSS on the rack and TSS just came steam rolling home and then kicked the winning penalty into the wind on the full time horn from about 40m out - literally hit the black dot and bounced over

I'm not really sure what happened against Nudgee - but the mojo was definitely gone for whatever reason - but give credit to Nudgee who barnstormed their way through the whole game

Sorry to burst your bubble Hound but BBC will account for ACGS without too much bother in the last round . I have Nudgee doing you guys tomorrow as well and then Nudgee doing TSS in the last round - setting up a 2nds finish of :

1. NC
2. TSS
3. BBC
4. ACGS

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't follow this as in depth as you all, in terms of all the individual players and names. But I got to the hooker in this team list and thought about the issues I've seen with selection in Australia in general. On this side of the ditch, Aussies seem to put too much emphasis on a players ability to run the ball. There's a few hookers I'd pick over Hudson on performance at the lineout and scrum. Hudson is clearly a good player, his three tries against BSHS are great highlights. But he isn't, in my judgement, the best hooker in the competition.

Couldn't agree more about the ball running; and guess what by them focusing on that they are missing other skills, oh and yes the continuity of running the ball and staying close to your support.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Having personally watched just about every game, and discussed at length with two more people who have watched every single game, it will be very tough to knock anybody out of this 23.

There will be opportunities for boys off this bench to force themselves into the starting team, but it's just about set in stone me-thinks. Clear standouts at every position

1. Tyrell Kopua -The Southport School
2. Hudson Mulcahy - Gregory Terrace
3. Zane Nonggor - The Southport School
4. Will MacPherson - Churchie
5. Tom van der Schyff - The Southport School
6. Tyrone Metusela-Suapaia - Gregory Terrace
7. Will Roach - Gregory Terrace
8. Reno Gerrard - The Southport School
9. Spencer Jeans - The Southport School
10. Campbell Parata - The Southport School
11. Glen Vaihu - Gregory Terrace
12. Daejarn Asi - Brisbane Grammar School
13. Jack Howarth - Brisbane Boys’ College
14. Jangala Bennett - Nudgee College
15. Jack Bowyer-Bowen - Brisbane Boys’ College

16. Nesta Mahina - State High
17. Harry Vella - Nudgee College
18. Emile Tuimavave - Brisbane Grammar School
19. Zeph Tuinona - State High
20. Bailey Tautau - Nudgee College
21. Aaron Prosser - Churchie
22. Reesjan Pasitoa - Nudgee College
23. Ronan Kapi - The Southport School

And looking at the Queensland Schoolboys selections from this year, you've got to say they did a great job selecting all bar one of the form players in their rep sides.

Besides the six who were unavailabe - Hudson Mulcahy and Reno Gerrard through injury, and others who had already signed elsewhere Parata (Crusaders), Asi (Cowboys), Howarth (Storm), Metusela-Suapaia (Roosters) - only Churchie scrumhalf Aaron Prosser missed out, and even then, there's an asterisk because Kalani Thomas was injured most of the year. We'll never know what he could have been in 2018 with more games under the belt.
I wouldn’t forget about Will Chaffey the TGS Lock who made the Australian Schools team and then went under the knife for his shoulder after the Nudgee game.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
BSHS win 24-19

Great performance from BSHS!

Yeah all credit to BSHS. Their attitude and defensive tone set in the first half was first class

BSHS Centre , Wian Joubert, was outstanding - maybe one of the best individual efforts I have seen in GPS First XV Rugby in 2 years

Word is BBC tried to take out an AVO order on him at half time

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
The 2nds has also developed into a tight comp. TSS, NC undefeated, Churchie 1 loss, BBC 2 lost. I am tipping Churchie to defeat NC this weekend in a tight one and I think NC will defeat TSS the following weekend. which would lead to a shared title.
NC40-12 over Churchie , best 2nd XV out of Nudgee for years, big weekend at Ross Oval next week, 1st’s and 2nds both undefeated, should be a great spectacle

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
I could see it coming today for BBC. Always seems to be one 'loose' result every year.

Hats off to BSHS, played some good footy with some spirit amongst them.

BOG - BSHS #13, simply dominated. I believe he has been packing down at number 6 until this week. Is that correct?

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
BSHS won 12A, 13A, 14A, 15A today as well... Maybe the recruitmemt team at BBC should recruit the recruiter from State High... who is it or how do they do it .... well done all teams from both schools ... great day of rugby