• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
State High will have about 8-9 players returning for next season, with a couple new boys expected to be joining.

Can confirm, but I thought it was about 7 players. BSHS will be very strong next year.

GT too have almost their entire team bar the half, 7, hooker, and prop coming back next year too. I heard a young fella who played 7 for the 16As was thrown in at 10 against Ippy on Saturday? How many times would that have happened? Anyone see the game? How did he go?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Can confirm, but I thought it was about 7 players. BSHS will be very strong next year.

GT too have almost their entire team bar the half, 7, hooker, and prop coming back next year too. I heard a young fella who played 7 for the 16As was thrown in at 10 against Ippy on Saturday? How many times would that have happened? Anyone see the game? How did he go?

10 will likely be a massive problem at GT next yea

PE who is out injured and started the year there is much better suited at 15 or out wide to make use of his evasive skills but not sure there are any other options.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I guess he went OK if GT got up

I always liked him at 9/10 where he played a lot of his junior Rugby before heading to the back row last season

I reckon 9 or 10 is his natural spot

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I would have thought you'd have 2 x viable options there next year BAG ?

Quinn Siolo and Jordyn Bell

Pat Elekana had a pretty good go of it as well considering he'd never played there before

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would have thought you'd have 2 x viable options there next year BAG ?

Quinn Siolo and Jordyn Bell

Pat Elekana had a pretty good go of it as well considering he'd never played there before

You would think if they chose Elekana and Bell over Siolo, they wouldn't change that next year. Would be interesting to hear why they went with Elekana as a rookie 10 in the firsts, and then Bell, when Siolo played 10 every year he's been at GT, and also made several club rep sides in that position too.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Who knows Darkside ?

But a lot of things can , and will , change between now and next season and to be honest there was a lot of unpredictability / left field stuff going on at GT this year

There were probably a few boys in the 2nds that might have deserved their chance too - one of those a 10 too *shrugs*

All Schools can , and do , see things differently to external selectors - it goes both ways and happens everywhere . I don't think that means anything other than people have different opinions

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
@ Getwithme re BSHS

I count 8 returning U16 players and probably another 2 to 3 from their current U16 team , so , they will need to rely on 14 to 15 U16 players next year and pray for no injuries as their Seconds and 16A's next year don't project to be that good ( if at least 8 to 9 of them are starting )

BSHS's U15 , U14 , U13 and even the U12 A teams seem to be wiping the floor with everybody ( U14 to U12 undefeated ) but they play IGS in the last round which will be interesting with IGS ( as always ) very strong in the under age groups - with they and BSHS always owning the early muscle

Interesting that all BGS A teams down to the U13's only had 1 win this year ( 13's had 2 ) and I don't think the 12's won a game

TGS seems a train wreck down the line with the majority of A Teams from U15 and down with 1 or no wins for the season and their Firsts looking like a wooden spoon recipient and their 16's going 50/50

Churchie seem to have 2 x strong back to back years emerging in U12 and U13 with both teams toward the top end of their competition

TGS won't get the wooden spoon with currently 2 wins. If they beat Terrace at home and finish with 3 wins, they will finish mid-table.

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
You would think if they chose Elekana and Bell over Siolo, they wouldn't change that next year. Would be interesting to hear why they went with Elekana as a rookie 10 in the firsts, and then Bell, when Siolo played 10 every year he's been at GT, and also made several club rep sides in that position too.
It seems as though Siolo is seen as a fullback by the school selectors, where he has been lining up in the firsts, a position most pundits see PE playing ..agree with GO every school sees things differently and again next year could be something different b altogether

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It seems as though Siolo is seen as a fullback by the school selectors, where he has been lining up in the firsts, a position most pundits see PE playing ..agree with GO every school sees things differently and again next year could be something different b altogether
Siolo was one of the three lads trialled at 10 by GT before PE was given a go quite late in the piece ( last of the GPS rep trials ).

Siolo was playing 10 for the 16a’s before being called up to replace Mone at 15 for the Firsts .

I can’t tell you why he has been overlooked as a possible 10 for the First XV now twice other than to agree with what Darkside mentioned a while ago in that the selectors would have their reasons .

Thought Bell made a good impression on his crack at 10 for GT , played square and defended well , which seems to fit with what the selectors are looking for .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
But a lot of things can , and will , change between now and next season and to be honest there was a lot of unpredictability / left field stuff going on at GT this year

There were probably a few boys in the 2nds that might have deserved their chance too - one of those a 10 too *shrugs*

My son is friends with current year 12 and 11 kids at Terrace, and they play club rugby together. Apart from the 10 position none of them have ever hinted there's much controversy in the selections, and most of the firsts are from grade 11 anyway. Given the results at GT, it would be hard to suggest the seconds are hiding players that should be in the firsts.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I can understand the switch IMO. Siolo's best characteristic has always been his ability to run with the ball while Elekana's has always been to set up others. Unfortunately Elekana hasn't really clicked with the role just because he's missing a few of the required items in the toolkit. I don't know if either of them would be my preferred 10 for 2019.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Gideon Wrampling BSHS (2014-2017) has made New Zealand Schoolboys after being poached by the Chiefs at the end of last season. Another loss to the Reds.
That’s great news for Gideon and a massive rise in where he was with his rugby a year ago. Well done to him and yes another miss for this side of the ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The family moved here a number of years ago , older brother made Qld Schoolboys from Kingston High , played some rugby in France after leaving school.

Gideon played First XV for BSHS last year as a 16 year old and a number of age rep teams earlier on . I didn't realise he had moved back to NZ.