• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tomane is better than Naivalu but not better than Koroibete.

On Maddocks i see him as our slightly less talented version of DMac. He's agile, nimble, quick enough, makes things happen and can fill a number of roles. He's the perfect 23 for the Wallabies going into the world cup, he's probably not good enough (yet) when compared to others to command a starting spot at either wing, fullback or 10.

Hodge has been solid without been spectacular all season. Ultimately i think hes a defensive wing/13 that runs hard in the Rob Horne mold, with the added benefit of a massive kicking game and can kick for sticks. Rebels just need to stick and pick him at 13 with Meakes at 12 to let him learn his craft.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On Maddocks i see him as our slightly less talented version of DMac. He's agile, nimble, quick enough, makes things happen and can fill a number of roles. He's the perfect 23 for the Wallabies going into the world cup, he's probably not good enough (yet) when compared to others to command a starting spot at either wing, fullback or 10.

Only if tackling becomes optional.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Its difficult a stop to players going to Europe, and me thinks the more it becomes normalised for players to leave, it could turn to being the preferred option.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its difficult a stop to players going to Europe, and me thinks the more it becomes normalised for players to leave, it could turn to being the preferred option.
Really depends on whether it proves sustainable for the Northern clubs. As it stands they are losing money hand over fist and their owners are happy to cop it as a vanity project. Shit like that rarely lasts long.

But, if it does the end game is that we select overseas based players unrestricted. And why not, Wallabies instantly become a better side and Super is garbage anyway.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Really depends on whether it proves sustainable for the Northern clubs. As it stands they are losing money hand over fist and their owners are happy to cop it as a vanity project. Shit like that rarely lasts long.

But, if it does the end game is that we select overseas based players unrestricted. And why not, Wallabies instantly become a better side and Super is garbage anyway.
The club owners in uk arnt just in it for vanity. The clubs own the competition and know the value is a share of the comp not just the value of their individual team. That said they have to stay in the competition to maintain share of that value so I don’t see them reducing team spending. Private equity firm who bought into formula one resently offered close to half a billion Aussie for a 51 percent share of the comp. what’s super rugby worth to the franchise sweet f all! What’s the value of investing in that comp for teams? The market and dominance of European rugby to massively continue. More jobs better salaries for players means more and more young players will head there. The reality is the depth and increased interest in The UK and Europe comps will mean more and more developing players from that market will take spots via the team academies etc we will start losing the 16 year olds to Uk club academies soon. Get them young enough and they will qualify for national duties for England France Wales Scotland or Ireland . Will be just like soccer recruitment as the pro rugby market matures. Imagine an Aussie 16 year old soccer player turning down Chelsea or Man U academy to play for Brisbane roar under 16s, never happen.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The club owners in uk arnt just in it for vanity. The clubs own the competition and know the value is a share of the comp not just the value of their individual team. That said they have to stay in the competition to maintain share of that value so I don’t see them reducing team spending. Private equity firm who bought into formula one resently offered close to half a billion Aussie for a 51 percent share of the comp. what’s super rugby worth to the franchise sweet f all! What’s the value of investing in that comp for teams? The market and dominance of European rugby to massively continue. More jobs better salaries for players means more and more young players will head there. The reality is the depth and increased interest in The UK and Europe comps will mean more and more developing players from that market will take spots via the team academies etc we will start losing the 16 year olds to Uk club academies soon. Get them young enough and they will qualify for national duties for England France Wales Scotland or Ireland . Will be just like soccer recruitment as the pro rugby market matures. Imagine an Aussie 16 year old soccer player turning down Chelsea or Man U academy to play for Brisbane roar under 16s, never happen.
This has never proven to be the case in Soccer. Never a perfect analogy i know, but the English Soccer team succeeds in spite of the premier league and it's foreign imports not because of it (and they don't succeed very much).

To be honest, if the world accepts the European club game as the primary location of the Worlds rugby talent, and all nations open up selection to European based players, i think you'll find Australia shoot back up the rankings.

Another round ball analogy is the production line of brilliant players coming from ' inferior' South American leagues. They still produce the most naturally gifted players in the world. It's a cultural thing.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

I feel like this would offer us better financial sustainability too right? Like, don't pay individuals crazy amount of money because they are frequently injured or replaceable. Let's let Panasonic or Sale pay folau his 800k and if he wants to play tests for 15k a pop he can do that if the coach thinks he is the best player around.

A decade ago we were told that there was no way of measuring player performance because the northern leagues were inferior and back then that may have been right. Probably not any more tho, given that two of the test sides that have participated in Super Rugby are now ranked 4 teams that have not.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
English Rugby Paper are reporting that Leicester Tigers are set to sign Brumbies lock Sam Carter end of this coming super rugby season.

Also linking them to a couple of English Hookers with suggest Taf might be off

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would come as no surprise that Carter would be heading off after next year.............

He's not getting back into the Wallabies, and he's still on a top up until the completion of his current contract so there's never been the need to cut and run before then.

Meawhile, the Brumbies are are growing a nice group of locks.

Riviera274

Peter Burge (5)
This has never proven to be the case in Soccer. Never a perfect analogy i know, but the English Soccer team succeeds in spite of the premier league and it's foreign imports not because of it (and they don't succeed very much).

To be honest, if the world accepts the European club game as the primary location of the Worlds rugby talent, and all nations open up selection to European based players, i think you'll find Australia shoot back up the rankings.

Another round ball analogy is the production line of brilliant players coming from ' inferior' South American leagues. They still produce the most naturally gifted players in the world. It's a cultural thing.
U

Union is doomed in Australia!
Good athletes leaving school will choose AFL, or NRL or a European club academy side over playing for Manly or somewhere in Queensland. You end up with the situation in Fiji and Samoa...all the good athletes have gone and only the dregs are left to play club rugby. No chance of developing a playing style or teamwork because all the top players we owned by overseas clubs.

So goodbye Wallabies you did us proud but are doomed by money and superior viewing of AFL and NRL.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
U

Union is doomed in Australia!
Good athletes leaving school will choose AFL, or NRL or a European club academy side over playing for Manly or somewhere in Queensland. You end up with the situation in Fiji and Samoa.all the good athletes have gone and only the dregs are left to play club rugby. No chance of developing a playing style or teamwork because all the top players we owned by overseas clubs.

So goodbye Wallabies you did us proud but are doomed by money and superior viewing of AFL and NRL.

The other thing is when comparing with soccer is that the sport is so rusted on in these countries, their leagues without their main stars is still the top professional competition in the country and the people will support the region they are from no matter the quality been produced. The only positive i could see is that the money reaches such a level, that they will start pinching the best league talent at a young age and develop them into rugby players as well, or players that star in their first few season and transition them over in their early 20s, offering the carrot of paying them 3 times as much. That way we might get the best of the Union and League talent going around

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)

His limitations are well established, but wouldn't he even just improve the look of the Wallaby squad as a whole?

For future reference; At the time of writing the Wallabies are playing a Back 3 of DHP, Folau and Maddocks against England