• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re: the Sopoaga article I think it's important to remember that with the (arguable) exception of Piutau, for reasons of fitness & form none of the players referenced were nailed-on top-32 players at the time they headed o/s.

Sopoaga could IMO have been a long-term AB but his injury opened the door for others; likewise Fekitoa & Luatua but for their form slumps. Bottom line is that we produce more quality players than the ~200 pro contracts available so we're never going to keep them all (& nor are the Wobs or bokke).

Out of interest who would people say is the last first-XV AB aged under 28 if a back or 32 if a forward that we've lost?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
On the field new zealand is 3+ years ahead of others.
however, with regards to player drain - they are 3+ years behind. the jersey is a draw and requires more money than the gold jersey to leave, but the money is getting there.

it is inevitable at this rate unless the tv $$ really roll in and attendance ramps up. NZ gov't taking some burden off the NZRU by spending money at the grassroots level will help.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Clearly, either Hanson doesn't rate the opposition or he is planning a close loss to keep Michael Cheika in the HC position until the RWC.;):(

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I believe that Retallick, Moody and Laulala will be returning for the EOYT. They'll all be a big boost for the pack. Hopefully Taufua too, as, short of shifting Cane across, I believe he's our best blindside. Coles might be left behind to rest up, which is fair enough, but the options after Taylor are pretty uninspiring. Hopefully someone like Makalio will be brought along.

As for the opensides, I'd have Todd as the starter, and bring both Gibson and Hunt along. Savea would be the reserve #8 and the bench utility loose forward. Don't think it will happen, and probably wouldn't do it myself, but Dalton Papali'i could be an outside shot if they want to take a chance and have another loose forward utility.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ Mrs Lurch has done her bit by having baby (a girl) pre-tour so Daddy Lurch can go on tour. Hadn't heard about Laulala but great news if he's good to go. Read somewhere that Coles may get a run this week - was down to play for mighty 'nua a coupla weeks ago but withdrew during the week.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On the field new zealand is 3+ years ahead of others.
however, with regards to player drain - they are 3+ years behind. the jersey is a draw and requires more money than the gold jersey to leave, but the money is getting there.

it is inevitable at this rate unless the tv $$ really roll in and attendance ramps up. NZ gov't taking some burden off the NZRU by spending money at the grassroots level will help.
This won't happen, but equally it's unclear whether the salaries in the North are sustainable. Plenty of the clubs are bleeding money and make ends meet by sticking their hands in their owners pockets.

With the new TV deal and some movement in the club game up north it's interesting times for Rugby.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I believe that Retallick, Moody and Laulala will be returning for the EOYT. They'll all be a big boost for the pack. Hopefully Taufua too, as, short of shifting Cane across, I believe he's our best blindside. Coles might be left behind to rest up, which is fair enough, but the options after Taylor are pretty uninspiring. Hopefully someone like Makalio will be brought along.

As for the opensides, I'd have Todd as the starter, and bring both Gibson and Hunt along. Savea would be the reserve #8 and the bench utility loose forward. Don't think it will happen, and probably wouldn't do it myself, but Dalton Papali'i could be an outside shot if they want to take a chance and have another loose forward utility.

Can't agree here at all. He's way too small. He tries hard but when he's up against a big physical pack he has no impact at all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sam Cane's op has gone well:

1539123765606.jpg

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ck-on-his-feet-following-successful-operation

I'm sure all G&GR's will wish him a full & speedy recovery.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Luatua supposedly looking to return to NZ.

..... Midi reports that Pat Lam has made it clear to Vito’s representatives that he is one of Bristol’s top recruitment priorities for next season, who are preparing to loose another All Black loose forward, Steven Luatua.

Luatua is believed to be contemplating a return to New Zealand in order to reignite his international career ahead of next year’s World Cup, making Vito an ideal replacement.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bristol-eyeing-ex-all-black-flanker-as-replacement-for-luatua-reports

If this happens, I know exactly how this will go. Dismal, KiwiM and myself are gonna have to sit and watch as he fucks off to the not-Blues and becomes the best blindside or post-2019 #8 in the country.

More srsly, if he returned in time for the 2019 Super Rugby season then he could have a pretty good shot at taking the starting blindside spot.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bristol-eyeing-ex-all-black-flanker-as-replacement-for-luatua-reports

If this happens, I know exactly how this will go. Dismal, KiwiM and myself are gonna have to sit and watch as he fucks off to the not-Blues and becomes the best blindside or post-2019 #8 in the country.

More srsly, if he returned in time for the 2019 Super Rugby season then he could have a pretty good shot at taking the starting blindside spot.

Good find. Hope comes back and the Blues have a spot for him. Very much a Blues man.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

C'mon down to the Canes Steven!!;):p Great replacement for Shields!:D Get used to playing with Ardie S, you know it makes sense!:cool: