• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Very happy with that, he's an excellent coach and should work well with Thorn. Coaching team really shaping up well now, getting experience and proven ability to backup Thorn. I don't hate the McGahan-Carozza academy setup they've mentioned either. McGahan may not have quite cut it as a super rugby head coach but getting someone in the role that has significant exposure to the proffesional game should be a big plus for talent identification and development. Hell, just the fact that we've managed to move a coach into a different role without burning a bridge or having to shell out for a pay out is a win.

If we've gotten here as a result of Kafer's coaching advisory panel then RA might just be due for some credit. Mind-boggling.

This.

Initially I gagged at Totality heading the academy, then I read your words. Let's give him a go. There better be KPIs though.

Thorn definitely needed experience and strength working with him. Looks good.

CEO next please Reds.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Pretty sure Jayden Ngamanu is still contracted, Perese is until the end of 2019 and Brandon Paenga-Amosa is around the traps so I assume he's there again next year.

Efi Ma'afu is the 3rd string hooker while Fraser McReight is the 2nd string openside flanker while those other fellas will form part of the academy.

Prettu sure they are sort of bringing back the 'Emerging Players Squad' but it's called the Reds Academy these days with Tony McGahan the coach.

Previously after the age of 20 you were no longer part of the academy but they've changed it for the better to include 20,21,22,23 year olds as well so that we can have older, more Super Rugby ready 'contracted' players.
I have in the past asked the serious question: What happens to QLD rugby players after they leave school because QLD rugby has in the last few years under performed , yes, I know, NRL etc, but I have to wonder why you would put Tony McGahan in charge of nurturing your young rugby talent - honestly, when he was in Melbourne he was divisive, vindictive in his selections and he verballed the players. I won't need to ask what has happened to QLD rugby any more, the writing is on the wall.

B

Bobby Sands

I have in the past asked the serious question: What happens to QLD rugby players after they leave school because QLD rugby has in the last few years under performed , yes, I know, NRL etc, but I have to wonder why you would put Tony McGahan in charge of nurturing your young rugby talent - honestly, when he was in Melbourne he was divisive, vindictive in his selections and he verballed the players. I won't need to ask what has happened to QLD rugby any more, the writing is on the wall.

QLD rugby is Victorian rugby, they are the same thing. So don't be too quick to bite the hand.

Dumper is an aggressive bloke who is not for everyone, granted. In fact he is so hostile some people throw up before training.

However he has a very good track record both as schools rugby and club rugby in Brisbane. In fact, for many years he was coaching both the first XV at Churchie and the Prems Rugby side at Easts at the same time. No mean feat.

I think he will go fine in that position, and like that he has his own boat to drive so tp speak. He is certainly a better development coach than Carozza.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Besides this would be the last year (2019) of his contract anyway wouldn’t it? He’s been shifted rather than paid out. If it doesn’t work out next year, he’ll move on and we’ll find someone else.

Overall, though, the coaching shuffle at the Reds has been very positive. If Dave Aldred can stay involved a little too then great. Has anyone seen the Latho like torpedos Stewart has unleashed a couple of times in the NRC?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
He is certainly a better development coach than Carozza.

Big call Bobby Sands.

Carozza actually been well regarded in running a very successful academy the last decade or so. Problem has been Guys like Sam Coorindly and the other muppets in the ivory tower have never had the right strategy to retain our talent & there’s been multiple cases where the Reds have let talent slip thru the cracks and go on to sign elsewhere.

McGahan might be the more accomplished coach... but why do you say his good at development?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So If Mcgahan is the development coach, what is carozza? Is he really a full time development scout type person?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So If Mcgahan is the development coach, what is carozza? Is he really a full time development scout type person?

as the article suggests he is now Academy's head of talent management

I'd suggest he is the one at the school and junior carnivals looking at new talent and chatting to parents etc. Kinda the Cyril Connell role

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Overall, though, the coaching shuffle at the Reds has been very positive. If Dave Aldred can stay involved a little too then great. Has anyone seen the Latho like torpedos Stewart has unleashed a couple of times in the NRC?[/quote]

Yes all Dave's doing.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I think McGahan will be really good for the kids and I would be suprised if he doesn't get renewed/want to stay here. He's got two young boys and I don't think his family want to move around as much. I understand he may have been a bit viscous to some in Melbourne, but for the kids in the program I can see a real nurturing side to him. I know a lot of the Reds players really hold him in him regard.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Overall, though, the coaching shuffle at the Reds has been very positive. If Dave Aldred can stay involved a little too then great. Has anyone seen the Latho like torpedos Stewart has unleashed a couple of times in the NRC?

Yes all Dave's doing.[/quote]
Stewarts torpedos look very impressive. Wouldn't it be great to have a good flyhalf with a boot and who could tackle? Here's hoping.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sully, I have to say I believe Stewart has shown good signs of overall improvement in his game this NRC. Think he should go on the EOYT. We need a backup, because it is clear as day now that Beale is not a 10, starting or backup. Hopefully Cheika can see the same message, but I won't hold my breath.

B

Bobby Sands

Big call Bobby Sands.

Carozza actually been well regarded in running a very successful academy the last decade or so. Problem has been Guys like Sam Coorindly and the other muppets in the ivory tower have never had the right strategy to retain our talent & there’s been multiple cases where the Reds have let talent slip thru the cracks and go on to sign elsewhere.

McGahan might be the more accomplished coach. but why do you say his good at development?

Carozza is an excellent identifier of talent in my opinion. I would imagine Dumper the better coach. Let’s hope they work well together.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes all Dave's doing.
Stewarts torpedos look very impressive. Wouldn't it be great to have a good flyhalf with a boot and who could tackle? Here's hoping.[/quote]

He (Stewart) still needs a lot of work, Shame he doesnt have someone with more experience to teach him the fine things as a flyhalf, kicking & passing great but still needs a lot on management of a game. I think he should have played a lot more club etc to gain it as its hard to learn from watching the opposition all the time.. Let hope it comes.. & who will back him up next year?

Reactions: dru

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
He (Stewart) still needs a lot of work, Shame he doesnt have someone with more experience to teach him the fine things as a flyhalf, kicking & passing great but still needs a lot on management of a game.

Now if only the Reds had an experienced Flyhalf on their roster who would have been a great mentor to a young up & comer ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Stewart worries me. You’d think in the NRC he’d be focussing on game play and play making. That last high scoring game by Country he was not involved in plenty of the tries. He really needs guidance on the core duties of a 10.

He’s a great rugby player but he’s not at covering key issues that I want in a 10.