• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Check out #108 on this thread.

That was the last comment from Minderoo.
It was only 2 weeks ago.

All I hear at the moment are "crickets churping" trying to attract attention by their s#!t journalism or contrived scoop/gossip.

I reckon I'll just wait until WSR is in a position to make the announcements.

In the West we know that there is a Minderoo team working hard to MIH.

How do we know? - coz we see them regularly - including at NRC games.

Game against Fiji Drua is a great focus this week and then the finals.

Exciting times in the West.

Reactions: dru

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems that Andrew Forrest has helped Nick Taylor to get it right this time........

Roadblocks won’t stop eight-team World Series Rugby competition
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Thursday, 11 October 2018

World Series Rugby is expected to debut with eight teams next year despite roadblocks being thrown out to slow down expansion sides in western Sydney and New Zealand.

Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW have said they cannot support the Sydney side because the turnaround for the March kick-off is too short. The New Zealand Rugby Union has also aired the same concerns about the inclusion of a WSR Kiwi team.

But mining magnate Andrew Forrest, who is bankrolling the new competition and the Western Force, has not been deterred and is forging ahead with the tournament.

WSR was already planning to expand to 10 teams in 2020 and if the Sydney and NZ teams are not included next year two alternative teams from the Asia Pacific region are likely to be brought in.

They would join the Force, two sides from Japan and one each from Fiji, Singapore, and Hong Kong in an eight team competition battling for a $1 million prize purse.

WSR has been given the tick approval by World Rugby’s executive committee, recommending approval to its full council for rubber-stamping, subject to regulatory and governance criteria.

Super Rugby broadcast deals end in 2020 and no doubt RA are wary of any new competition moving into their landscape before they can lock away contracts.

Forrest’s Minderoo organisation said it had “parties ready and willing” to support a western Sydney team for the 2019 timeframe but it was up to RA and NSW to let it happen.

“RA and NSWRU have discussed with Minderoo the possibility of establishing the Western Sydney team in 2020 instead of 2019 to allow them to do what they believe is the required planning to ensure the team is successful and integrates into the NSW rugby system,” Minderoo said in a statement.

“Minderoo continues to work with RA and NSWRU to enable the establishment of the Western Sydney at the most appropriate time.

“We would welcome a team into the competition as early as the 2019 season if its establishment was able to occur faster – but whether that happens is up to RA and NSWRU, in discussion with the parties who are ready and willing to support such a team in that timeframe.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...-world-series-rugby-competition-ng-b88988545z

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW have said they cannot support the Sydney side because the turnaround for the March kick-off is too short.

Seems a bit strange.

But I don't think what they're stating as their reasoning matches the real motivation. :)

Reactions: dru

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I would be interested to know if not having the WS team in next year is genuine. If that's the case then fair enough, maybe they do need the time to organize things and get things done properly, but you would hope that they start the ball rolling. ground, committee, social media, coach etc. and be open about progress with regular updates of whats happening, maybe a website($2/3000) will get you a half decent one.

Or is there another agenda in there decision.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would be interested to know if not having the WS team in next year is genuine. If that's the case then fair enough, maybe they do need the time to organize things and get things done properly, but you would hope that they start the ball rolling. ground, committee, social media, coach etc. and be open about progress with regular updates of whats happening, maybe a website($2/3000) will get you a half decent one.

I would like inclusion of western Sydney team in wsr for 2020 as a key kpi for Andrew Hore as if he can’t get nsw rugby parties to the table to make that happen he needs to go. Particularly given dreadful performances of nsw nrc and nrc u19 teams, continued failures to progress rugby in western Sydney etc etc

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)

It shouldn't take too long to recruit thirty-odd players, find a ground and hire a coaching staff. Twiggy did it for the Force in a couple of months.

The way I see it, RA and the product they're supporting, Super Rugby, is like the traditional taxicab industry and Minderoo's WSR is like Uber - a bold new competitor offering a shiny new product that might interest the consumers more, and therefore show up the status quo, and RA are terrified of being shown up in their own heartland. To be sure, they're magnanimous enough to sign off on WSR as long as it's just us losers from Perth playing some nobodies from Hong Kong or wherever, but competing with (perhaps even beating) them in their own back yard? Unthinkable.

Hence why they've been stalling for as long as they can while everyone else in the region can't wait to get on board. For them, WSR is a chance to grow the game. For RA, NSWRU and whoever else, it's a threat to their own power and prestige, and that's why they'll continue to oppose any further expansion into western Sydney, probably up until 2020 and beyond.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It shouldn't take too long to recruit thirty-odd players, find a ground and hire a coaching staff. Twiggy did it for the Force in a couple of months.

The way I see it, RA and the product they're supporting, Super Rugby, is like the traditional taxicab industry and Minderoo's WSR is like Uber - a bold new competitor offering a shiny new product that might interest the consumers more, and therefore show up the status quo, and RA are terrified of being shown up in their own heartland. To be sure, they're magnanimous enough to sign off on WSR as long as it's just us losers from Perth playing some nobodies from Hong Kong or wherever, but competing with (perhaps even beating) them in their own back yard? Unthinkable.

Hence why they've been stalling for as long as they can while everyone else in the region can't wait to get on board. For them, WSR is a chance to grow the game. For RA, NSWRU and whoever else, it's a threat to their own power and prestige, and that's why they'll continue to oppose any further expansion into western Sydney, probably up until 2020 and beyond.

Yes, thats what I mean, what is the exact reason they are not supporting this. But just imagine a WSR (WS) game up against the Waratahs. You could just imagine the lengths Twiggy would go for to produce an exciting event, up against 3 men & a dog watching the waratahs. ?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, thats what I mean, what is the exact reason they are not supporting this. But just imagine a WSR (WS) game up against the Waratahs. You could just imagine the lengths Twiggy would go for to produce an exciting event, up against 3 men & a dog watching the waratahs. ?
You're answering your own question here - the NSWRU are financially responsible for the Waratahs. (And RA is on the hook for NSWRU). Another pro team competing for players, fans and sponsorship $$$ puts those three entities at risk. Money spent propping up the Tahs is money not spent on development of rugby in NSW

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
You're answering your own question here - the NSWRU are financially responsible for the Waratahs. (And RA is on the hook for NSWRU). Another pro team competing for players, fans and sponsorship $$$ puts those three entities at risk. Money spent propping up the Tahs is money not spent on development of rugby in NSW

But you can equally argue money propping up the Tahs has led to the situation were in now. Do you manipulate the market to support a system that has now proven itself a total failure in growing the code. Do you stand there with your finger in the dyke hoping the nasty new boy goes away.

The NRL has 9 teams AFL 2 A league soon to be 3, but oh no rugby can only have one, with all those in the Tah's tent partying.

Maybe money spent propping up the Tahs, prevents you from growing the game so you can actually spend money on development of rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Read Alan Jones article in the Australian today. I actually thought it read well. Support his aim to remove all RA board members. Alan Jones was pro wa rugby : western force but not sure where he and his Australian clubs association sit on twiggy ball and World Series rugby. If they we’re behind the latter I would almost be more behind them as I am not pro RA, NZRU and nswru all of which have blocked moving forward with teams for wsr. Yeh nzru I suspect supporting Ra interests and own interests to lessen loss of control as remember kiwis have centralised model and wsr threatens that.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
If NSWRU are genuinely open to WSR opening in Western Sydney but think it is too short notice then they should work with Minderoo to spend a year doing development work for the team (building the brand, recruiting players etc) so that the supporters there can have a team to start being interested in. Maybe they could bring a Force WSR game to Penrith or somewhere WS to promote the comp and start building the interest in the forthcoming local team.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
You ask Twiggy to guarantee he won't poach players from existing super rugby, ITM Cup or Shute Shield sides, and if he won't you block the Sydney and New Zealand teams until after 2020

If I am an AMATEUR Shute Shield player, and I have the option of being a PROFESSIONAL player in any league, then I want the opportunity to explore that. In what world is that poaching?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I can't help but feel its all being rushed.

I don't see, a mass conversion or the like taking place, and wonder aloud where outside Perth is the TV market. Even in Perth the new competition will as it stands now be viewed as being not at the highest level.

Seems to me the cart has been placed before the horse, sorta like we are building a competition around a Perth team after Perth being promised a spot. Rather than create a concept and then put Perth in the concept.

I hope it works, my heart says its going to work,- My head says there is a world of pain coming.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
What's the worst that can happen?

AS I see it the competition needs Australia wide support and acceptance, I don't see that happening, principally because IMO its been rushed and not planned. It could have which is the ultimate sad part.

The broader question is why does it need Australia wide support and that may not be true if Asian teams can bring Asian TV deals with enough revenue to help maintain it. However chasing the Asian dollar is a double edged sword, as Australians by and large want a national domestic competition.

Hand on heart not the other thing I wish the competition every success. However I think having the competition appealing or being essentially a Perth based team competition will also effect Asian TV revenue.

I really hope I am wrong.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
AS I see it the competition needs Australia wide support and acceptance, I don't see that happening, principally because IMO its been rushed and not planned. It could have which is the ultimate sad part.

The broader question is why does it need Australia wide support and that may not be true if Asian teams can bring Asian TV deals with enough revenue to help maintain it. However chasing the Asian dollar is a double edged sword, as Australians by and large want a national domestic competition.

Hand on heart not the other thing I wish the competition every success. However I think having the competition appealing or being essentially a Perth based team competition will also effect Asian TV revenue.

That doesn't seem too scary.

Bring it on.

You can't "magic up" an instant top-level premier comp, but this one will get a good start IMO.

The areas where it shows a need for improvement, they go back and build on.

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)

It doesn't need Australian wide support we in the west feel like we were thrown under the bus and guess what its now not about the east coast its about what is right for WA
I think the Asian sides and their viewers(potentially many of them ) will still look at The Force as an Australian side and the one to beat , what ever the strength they wont care where in the rugby landscape we are from they will still be beating or running close to an Australian side . They are never going to play against the super sides, its a bit like saying ,the Waratahs are good but they are no Exeter so who would watch ?
RA and NSWRU have snubbed the chance for an east coast team(in Western Sydney ) and if we in the west and Asia are happy to turn out in bigger numbers than east coast super rugby i guess its RA's loss once again

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I actually think the Japanese and Fijian sides will be the ones to beat in this competition.

I'm also curious and excited to know who the replacements for the Western Sydney and NZ teams will be from the Asia-Pacific region. It could be a blessing in disguise.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would be interested to know if not having the WS team in next year is genuine. If that's the case then fair enough, maybe they do need the time to organize things and get things done properly

It looks like a few months is all you need after all:

NSW Rugby boss Andrew Hore this week presented a plan to the NSWRU board that outlined a raft of new measures slated to start in as little as a few months' time, including a western Sydney competition for the under-15s and under-18s age groups, an under-18s Shute Shield competition, a new western Sydney office and a coach development manager, as well as a fundraising effort to bankroll it all.​

You've gotta laugh!

Turns out that, after decade upon decade of willful neglect, it would only take a few months work for these toe rags to help out the whole time.

But they weren't interested.