• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd like to continue stressing that Reece Hodge should not be considered as your 13. Better teams continue to try and fail to play a non-13 at 13 to "fit in the talent". It doesn't work. Pick a proper 13.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just have a feeling Sefa might be elsewhere next season, i have no information suggesting he wont be at the Rebels, but its just a feeling.

Also by seasons end wouldn't surprise me to see at all Melb grown front row with Sa'aga, Uelese and Fa'amasuili.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd like to continue stressing that Reece Hodge should not be considered as your 13. Better teams continue to try and fail to play a non-13 at 13 to "fit in the talent". It doesn't work. Pick a proper 13.

Hodge has been solid without being spectacular at 13. One of the wallabies few consistent performers the past 2months, also has to put up with being in the horrendous wallabies defensive structure that isolates the 13 by making Koroibete play a continuous open side winger.

In my eyes hes the Rob Horne outside centre/winger style player. Plus even if hes terrible who else is there for 13???? There is English who a better winger than 13 and the inexperienced Tuipulotu, who i have hopes for, but hasn't played much top flight

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Both Tom English and Sione Tuipulotu are defensive improvements. I would even prefer to see Koroibete at 13 and Hodge on the wing than the reverse. I'm not denying his ability to tackle (and, if he couldn't, that would hurt you no matter where you played him), but the defensive positioning required of a 13 is obviously far beyond him.

This isn't just an experience issue (though lord knows experience helps), but an aspect of the mental game that is present in some players and not in others; for example, it's a major difference between Kuridrani and Kerevi, who have a similar tackling technique and effectiveness, though Kuridrani is reliably in the right position and making the right movements to make those tackles and shut down attacks, while Kerevi only intermittently (and, to some concern, it seems this is more down to luck than decision making) in the right position or making the right movements.

A good kick, a cheeky offload, or pace are not the key roles of a 13; players like Mortlock, Conrad Smith, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have spoiled us in these regards. The 13 can catch-and-pass, run in a straight line, has one of the best senses (only second to the fullback) of defensive positioning on the field, and can make his tackles. Anything extra is a nice benefit. Picking a 13 who struggles in any of this matters is like picking a prop who can’t scrummage because he has a decent drop kick.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'd actually benopen to moving Sefa to 13, was originally a center when he was signed up out of Rising. Would mean your backline would be:
9) Genia
10) QC (Quade Cooper)
11) Korobiete
12) Hodge
13) Sefa
14) Maddox
15) DHP

Would just require the forwards to get them the ball

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Uelese won’t be back for the opening night of the Super Rugby season. Looking at a potential Rd 3 return from his off season knee and shoulder surgeries. I’m tipping The Rebels to start slow and struggle in their opening two matches against the Brumbies purely on T5 battle. The Rebels will have almost no experience up front against the Brumbs.

1. Sio / Slipper
2. Fainga’a / Mann Rea
3. AAA / Makin
4. Arnold / Enerver
5. Carter

vs

1. Saaga / Faulkner
2. Rangi / Roach (Uelese injured)
3. Ainsley / Faamausili or Weeks (Talakai?)
4. Coleman
5. Philip / Jones, Cottrell or Hosea (Jeffries?, RHP?)

? = Current Japan based players return dates uncertain

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Uelese won’t be back for the opening night of the Super Rugby season. Looking at a potential Rd 3 return from his off season knee and shoulder surgeries. I’m tipping The Rebels to start slow and struggle in their opening two matches against the Brumbies purely on T5 battle. The Rebels will have almost no experience up front against the Brumbs.

1. Sio / Slipper
2. Fainga’a / Mann Rea
3. AAA / Makin
4. Arnold / Enerver
5. Carter

vs

1. Saaga / Faulkner
2. Rangi / Roach (Uelese injured)
3. Ainsley / Faamausili or Weeks (Talakai?)
4. Coleman
5. Philip / Jones, Cottrell or Hosea (Jeffries?, RHP?)

? = Current Japan based players return dates uncertain
Yeah, nearly the worst scrum in Super rugby verse the Wallabies front row. Good luck.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rebels Facebook post, player announcement at 1pm.

"Bonjour Rebels fans! France is fun, but Melbourne is better. BIG player announcement at 1pm, stay tuned."

Luke Jones I assume.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd actually benopen to moving Sefa to 13, was originally a center when he was signed up out of Rising. Would mean your backline would be:
9) Genia
10) QC (Quade Cooper)
11) Korobiete
12) Hodge
13) Sefa
14) Maddox
15) DHP

Would just require the forwards to get them the ball

I wonder if QC (Quade Cooper) will be coachable in 2019 and be prepared to play to the game plan or will the coach build a game plan around him.

The latter is how the Link made it work

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wonder if QC (Quade Cooper) will be coachable in 2019 and be prepared to play to the game plan or will the coach build a game plan around him.

its a simple game plan. forwards, win your own line outs, win our scrums, give the ball to Willy G, pass to Quade- the rest of you follow Quade - extempore. be prepared for anything.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know it's a lower level, but Brisbane were really good this NRC season with Cooper playing as he does, and he could well be named player of the season. And remember the Tri Nations winning game plan:
quade.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

nah, Link and the Reds of that era had multiple game plans for different teams. As Link said, QC (Quade Cooper) was the best at executing a game plan he had worked with. At the time.

It's probably the last Australian team I've seen vary up their game plan week to week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
nah, Link and the Reds of that era had multiple game plans for different teams. As Link said, QC (Quade Cooper) was the best at executing a game plan he had worked with. At the time.

It's probably the last Australian team I've seen vary up their game plan week to week.

Absolutely. Link with Chook developed a game plan based on studying the opposition, then Quade made it easy for the team to follow. To be accurate Genia/Quade made it happen. Genia drove the pigs, Quade orchestrated the back line in attack.

Quade was protected in D but had Link’s requirements for driving Link’s game plan covered.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Press release:

Foundation Rebel and prodigious talent Luke Jones will be returning to Melbourne in 2019 for two seasons, following a two-year spell in France with Bordeaux.

The 27-year-old made a name for himself as a versatile lock and blindside flanker during a six-season stint at the Rebels that began in 2011. His departure for France was considered a huge loss for Australian Rugby, with the talented youngster seemingly on the cusp of consistent representative honours.

"Having observed the transformation of the Club over the last year, it's obvious the Rebels have taken massive steps forward on and off the field and I want to be a part of that," stated Jones.

"I'm not content with my Rugby as yet and to continue my development as a player, the most important consideration for me was to find a world class Rugby program that would help take my game to the next level. Speaking with David Wessels and a few of my former team mates and looking at the quality of the list at the Rebels, it's going to be a great challenge for me week to week to earn my spot."

"I wanted to return to Australia and the fact that I get to return to Melbourne just makes it that much more satisfying. I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with old friends at the Club and running out again onto AAMI Park. I have such fond memories of my previous time with the Rebels, but I want to add greater new memories too."

With 74 Super Rugby caps already to his name, Jones will bolster a pack already brimming with talent. Jones' experience is just one of the factors that has Rebels GM of Rugby Nick Ryan so excited.

"To be able to bring back to Melbourne a player of Luke's quality is a reflection of the quality Rugby program and momentum we are building at the Rebels," said Ryan.

"Luke left Melbourne as a very good player and his game has developed further over in Europe. He is versatile and athletic and he is one of us. He's returning because he can see the potential in us and we want him back because we can see the potential in him."

Jones's signing adds another dimension to a potent 2019 Melbourne Rebels back row which will feature recent Wallaby tourist Angus Cottrell, Wallaby # 906 Richard Hardwick, and new recruit Isi Naisarani amongst a host of other talented players.

Status
Not open for further replies.