• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In reverse order:

5. I'd imagine WR (World Rugby) are working on the basis of more content meaning more revenue. Plus I'd hope there'll be some match-day revenue sharing e.g. 1/3 host Union, 1/3 visitors, 1/3 into a kitty to top up the Unions that don't have a Twickenham or a Stade France (or an ANZ Stadium :)).

4. In RWC years there'll be no "crossover" matches in July & November & it'll be just the SH6N.

2. Yeah, I don't see how you can run this in a Lions year without the SH part of it running into the November window. I really hope this isn't used as an excuse to cull the Lions, I'd rather see this comp run only in the even-numbered years.

I prefer the league format myself, as clearly do a majority if not all of the Unions who were at the meeting in Sydney.
Surely the lions tours generate more revenue than this league ever could.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In reverse order:

5. I'd imagine WR (World Rugby) are working on the basis of more content meaning more revenue. Plus I'd hope there'll be some match-day revenue sharing e.g. 1/3 host Union, 1/3 visitors, 1/3 into a kitty to top up the Unions that don't have a Twickenham or a Stade France (or an ANZ Stadium :)).

4. In RWC years there'll be no "crossover" matches in July & November & it'll be just the SH6N.

2. Yeah, I don't see how you can run this in a Lions year without the SH part of it running into the November window. I really hope this isn't used as an excuse to cull the Lions, I'd rather see this comp run only in the even-numbered years.

I prefer the league format myself, as clearly do a majority if not all of the Unions who were at the meeting in Sydney.
I get why WR (World Rugby) want it to happen. I don't really understand why RA and NZRU (seem to) want it to happen.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Given the RFU weren't interested in forking out 50% of their match-day revenue for the single largest brand in the sport, I imagine it'll be a cold, cold day in hell before the RFU gives up 66% of Twickenham's revenue to all and sundry.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ yeah my split is wildly optimistic but you've got to go in high so as to have room to move aye?

I get why WR (World Rugby) want it to happen. I don't really understand why RA and NZRU (seem to) want it to happen.

Can only assume that WR (World Rugby)'s revenue projections make it a no-brainer. Gotta hope those projections don't turn out to be unrealistic.

And hopefully that's what will save them.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is it just a straight rip from the Roundball?

I've read a few articles about their version of it and it seems to have been received with little enthusiasm.
Yup, rugby's got to stop that cock-waving contest with soccer and play to it's own strengths

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep , but perhaps this is a way for lesser nations ie Fiji, Argentina etc to get a cut of the pie as well NZ and Aus . Don't know if I keen on the idea, but may give more countries a chance to get a share. And Lions tours are only every 12 years, and that bonus is only for NZ/Aus/SA.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Oh for the heady days of the 1966 tour when they played 35 matches!

(As an aside, Brisbane test match attendance was 18,500 while 45,000+ attended Lang Park the next month to watch the League Ashes.

Still got a way to go before we match those dark days)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Excuse me, no home final?

How the fuck is that feasible.
I think you'll find it will end up being a tendering process, with who ever wants to stump up the most cash to host the final. This will generally mean that the final will almost always be played in the Northern Hemisphere, add the weather conditions and it will be unlikely to have one down here.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think you'll find it will end up being a tendering process, with who ever wants to stump up the most cash to host the final. This will generally mean that the final will almost always be played in the Northern Hemisphere, add the weather conditions and it will be unlikely to have one down here.
I'm pretty sure its just because of the proposed scheduling. i.e. its superimposed over the existing competitions meaning it will always finish in the North.

But that's fucken bullshit. Just means they get another big crowd game and the revenue that goes with it, unless they implement some revenue sharing system (which would be brilliant, but given the RFU are involved, impossible).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Excuse me, no home final?

How the fuck is that feasible.

Probably because the money suggests so. Which makes sense considering this is essentially a cash grab. Hosting the finals up north would mean bigger overall audiences and thus more of that sweet, sweet broadcast money. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the concept just in the particular structure they are looking to using being 12 teams and on an annual basis. I believe it should be 16 team run over a two year period. It would still mean the finals will be held in the NH.

What is interesting is the shortening of the RC that's been suggested. If this is the case I would like to suggest that they look to expand the numbers playing in the RC to 6 (or even 7) to include Japan and the US if they go for 6 and Fiji if they elect for 7. Run it as a straight 5 to 6 game series.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im warming more to the idea, the proposed 2nd division could be great for the next tier of countries

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm pretty sure its just because of the proposed scheduling. i.e. its superimposed over the existing competitions meaning it will always finish in the North.

But that's fucken bullshit. Just means they get another big crowd game and the revenue that goes with it, unless they implement some revenue sharing system (which would be brilliant, but given the RFU are involved, impossible).

Pretty sure revenue sharing is actually part of the deal. I'm not sure how it would break down though. Broadcasting is a given but gate will be a whole other question.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Im warming more to the idea, the proposed 2nd division could be great for the next tier of countries

Like I've said, I'm not opposed to the concept. But I think the 12 team 1st division is a little too narrow. I'd prefer it to be a 16 team 1st division broken into four pool of 4 playing over a two year period. The first year would be home and away in the pools and the second would be split into a top 8 Cup and a bottom 8 plate competition.

Below that I'm all for the 2nd division. Ideally with the exact same composition but 12 teams at this level would likely be the most competitive while offering enough opportunity. Having the opportunity to chase promotion will be key. Something like the bottom side from the top division plays the top team from the 2nd division or you could just do as the U20s structure does and automatic relegate last place.