• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem with being a Goulburn game on a Thursday evening is it's not really accessible for Sydney people unless you take Thursday afternoon off work.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The problem with being a Goulburn game on a Thursday evening is it's not really accessible for Sydney people unless you take Thursday afternoon off work.

Jesus. I actually hadn't looked at the date properly. Rubbish scheduling. For anyone from Sydney for sure. They're going to have to go really hard in the promotion to the locals in the Southern Tablelands/Highlands.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jesus. I actually hadn't looked at the date properly. Rubbish scheduling. For anyone from Sydney for sure. They're going to have to go really hard in the promotion to the locals in the Southern Tablelands/Highlands.

I think it's down to the contracted preseason due to the earlier start in a RWC year. Both teams want more than a week between their last trial and first round match.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Looking at the needs of the squad though, is that really where you'd spend your money? In terms of incremental gains I think signing a top shelf backrower provides the least improvement compared to just about any other area of the team.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm sure if Tom Robertson had got injured earlier the Tahs would have made a play for Slipper.

If the Tahs recruit a starting lock they will have Holloway and Miller on the bench in the forwards.

I agree that if you were starting with a blank slate you would clearly structure the squad differently. No one gets to do that though.

The chat here seems to suggest that the Waratahs were awful this year and significantly worse than the other Australian teams.

I doubt the Tahs would have made a bid for Slipper. Not the mentality of the coach in relation to Forwards.

Holloway off the Bench would make sense can play 6,8,lock.

Not a backrower big go forward locks and big go forward props who can scrummage. Not a light prop who can't scrummage.

The rebels fell apart this year and should have played finals footy. A decent flyhalf would have made the difference. They have bought Toomoua. See a problem try to fix the problem.

The Brumbies started to find their groove under their new coach towards the end of the season.

The Tahs got out of jail due to Big T and individual brilliance some games this year. Big T is gone. They had an easier draw in 2018 and if they didn't considering they only beat one top 8 side then I doubt they would have played finals.

Rod Kafer even said they need a giant enforcer. Gibson wants Adam Ashley Cooper.

I only hope the last 4 spots are decent buys but Gibson says he only wants a lock OR a prop. We need both.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt the Tahs would have made a bid for Slipper. Not the mentality of the coach in relation to Forwards.

Holloway off the Bench would make sense can play 6,8,lock.

Not a backrower big go forward locks and big go forward props who can scrummage. Not a light prop who can't scrummage.

I don't see how you can compare Rory O'Connor and James Slipper. O'Connor gets signed to join the back of the queue of props. After Robertson's injury, Slipper would be starting. O'Connor will be on the minimum Super Rugby salary.

The Tahs won 5 out of 6 matches against Australian sides. That is why they played finals.

I absolutely agree we need a big bruising lock. I would be surprised if all the coaching staff including Gibson didn't agree with that.

I don't see how you can suggest that potentially signing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) changes that. We also need to replace 13 (if Rona is to move to the wing) or 14.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't see how you can suggest that potentially signing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) changes that. We also need to replace 13 (if Rona is to move to the wing) or 14.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Tahs should be looking at Tautalatasi Tasi from Brisbane City, he's had a very good nrc and has that professional edge about him. Uncontracted at the moment and with a bit of a traffic jam at 13 for the reds he'd likely be a cheap pick up.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tahs should be looking at Tautalatasi Tasi from Brisbane City, he's had a very good nrc and has that professional edge about him. Uncontracted at the moment and with a bit of a traffic jam at 13 for the reds he'd likely be a cheap pick up.

Talking of Brisbane City what about Matty Gordon pushing out to 13?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The chat here seems to suggest that the Waratahs were awful this year and significantly worse than the other Australian teams.

They were not awful, that is completely overstating it. But when they came up against a big powerful fast pack they were outplayed. Every time, except perhaps the quarter final, and The Crusaders, Lions, Hurricanes, Chiefs and Brumbies packs would have beaten the Clan that night too.

They were not awful but they had several key structural weaknesses in the pack that a magnificent backline could just not overcome.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you want to understand why the Tahs were so successful this season have look at the try of the year. They were the best team, they played the better ball in hand team rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you want to understand why the Tahs were so successful this season have look at the try of the year. They were the best team, they played the better ball in hand team rugby

I honestly think we are kidding ourselves to think that any Australian team deserved to be in the Super finals. I'll leave alone now though - it is the Waratahs thread after all.

All the best going forward into 2019 guys.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I honestly think we are kidding ourselves to think that any Australian team deserved to be in the Super finals. I'll leave alone now though - it is the Waratahs thread after all.

All the best going forward into 2019 guys.
Didn’t they win a Semi Final game?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They did, Silver, and they topped the Aussie conference. That can't be taken away from them.

But just to support Dru's comment, I think the results this year probably indicate that there are too many teams in the finals series. Eight team out of 15 make the finals; a bit top heavy isn't it?

However, that should be a discussion for elsewhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But just to support Dru's comment, I think the results this year probably indicate that there are too many teams in the finals series. Eight team out of 15 make the finals; a bit top heavy isn't it?

However, that should be a discussion for elsewhere.

One quick post on it:

With 15 teams, 4 is too few, 8 is too many and 6 is probably just right but the problem with a 6 team finals series is that the top 2 sides don't get favoured by having a week off based on historical results. The second is that they miss out on hosting another game which are very important for all sides financially. The team that finishes second in the 6 team version probably only gets one home final.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
First round of the season is at Brookvale against the Hurricanes.

So 1x Brookvale, 3x Parramatta.

My guess is 3x SCG and 1x regional (most likely Newcastle) for the remaining 4 games.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)

My guess is 3x SCG and 1x regional (most likely Newcastle) for the remaining 4 games.

SCG Trust has already told members that there will be three Waratahs games.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I hope they do a solid dog poop patrol before the game at Brookvale

Status
Not open for further replies.