• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
A truly star-studded line-up for Melbourne next year.

Needed to put more of their pile of cash on the front row though, IMO. Someone like Slipper should have been a spending priority, even if it meant giving up several other top players.

Not because the guy is world class - although he is a genuine Test-level player - but I reckon the Rebels are going to have some worries up front.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Another dodgy sponsor pulling out.
Meanwhile, the Rebels are set to lose their major sponsor Legacy Property and Investment Group.
The financially troubled business is facing prospective strike off action by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, which is set to cut short their two year sponsorship.
I would be very worried if a company i worked for became a major sponsor of a sporting team. Majella (Reds), Pathion (Bris. Bullets), Firepower (Force), GRT - in the press for being allegedly dodgy (Reds/Titan), Wow/131 Shop (Broncos).

Thats just off the top of my head.

Sorry bit of a a tangent - but probably not worthy of its own thread.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Luke Jones is the closest we'll ever come to a second Fardy. If he's not your starting 6, then there's something wrong.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Another dodgy sponsor pulling out.
Meanwhile, the Rebels are set to lose their major sponsor Legacy Property and Investment Group.
The financially troubled business is facing prospective strike off action by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, which is set to cut short their two year sponsorship.
I would be very worried if a company i worked for became a major sponsor of a sporting team. Majella (Reds), Pathion (Bris. Bullets), Firepower (Force), GRT - in the press for being allegedly dodgy (Reds/Titan), Wow/131 Shop (Broncos).

Thats just off the top of my head.

Sorry bit of a a tangent - but probably not worthy of its own thread.

Beer Baron an interesting topic. Here are some others that immediately come to mind:
- around 1998 Viatel Communications signed as Collingwood's major sponsor and Viatel didn't make it to round 1;
- around 2010 - 2011 Baytec became naming rights sponsors of Kardinia Park (Geelong AFL home ground). Baytec went bust a short time later. There were three sponsors Shell, Baytec and Skilled in less than 12 months;
- 3 or 4 years ago when Dick Smith Electronics went bust they were major sponsors of Melbourne Stars BBL team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Luke Jones with 45 appearances as a backrower since 2012 according to my numbers. For comparison, Scott Fardy was a bloody lock for a long time, and has 62 appearances as a lock in the same period. Indeed, Fardy has only played the majority of a season at 6 three times in his career (2015, 2016, 2017); every other season has seen him primarily (and often exclusively) playing at lock.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's also a lock - at least that's where just about every coach he's ever played for has played him

Excluding Damien Hill, Tony McGahan, Sean Hedger, Zane Hilton, Jacques Brunel, Rory Teague, who have all played him at 6 several times a season.

Edit: I'm not denying Luke Jones can play lock. In the same way that To'omua is a good option at 12 because of his sheer quality as a 10, Jones is a good option at lock because of his sheer quality in the backrow.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jones isnt what the Wallabies or the Rebels need. He doesn't have enough impact in the collision.

Nor did Fardy. "Impact in the collision" is not significant to the core work of the six. Metres after contact, effective breakdown presence, speed, stamina, tackling ability, and lineout ability are the key work of a six; Luke Jones has all of these skills, and every one of his coaches has used him as a six as a result.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nor did Fardy. "Impact in the collision" is not significant to the core work of the six. Metres after contact, effective breakdown presence, speed, stamina, tackling ability, and lineout ability are the key work of a six; Luke Jones has all of these skills, and every one of his coaches has used him as a six as a result.

Not trying to argue the merits of any other players. My point was only concerning Jones and I strongly disagree with your points about metres after contact and effective breakdown.

He lacks physicality and that is what i was talking about in relation to impact in the collision.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

In other words....impact in the collision.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
In other words..impact in the collision.
Rob Simmons is a damn good tackler without “impact”, Chris Alcock gets plenty of metres after contact without “impact”, Sam Carter has great effective breakdown presence without “impact”.

Tui is a good example of a player with “impact” who gets mediocre metres after contact and has really poor rate of effective breakdown presence. Likewise, Skelton had his “impact” for years before he could make a decent tackle or impact a breakdown. “Impact” is a trash measure of how players use their physicality on a rugby field.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Rob Simmons is a damn good tackler without “impact”, Chris Alcock gets plenty of metres after contact without “impact”, Sam Carter has great effective breakdown presence without “impact”.

Tui is a good example of a player with “impact” who gets mediocre metres after contact and has really poor rate of effective breakdown presence. Likewise, Skelton had his “impact” for years before he could make a decent tackle or impact a breakdown. “Impact” is a trash measure of how players use their physicality on a rugby field.

Wait now your argument has changed.

No one has said "impact in the collision" is the ONLY important measure to the core work of the six which is what this post seems to be saying.

Youve then referenced a lock in Simmons who has never been close to world class and a provincial 7...

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Referencing other players doesn't change what Jones actually does but being that you have raised it Simmons is a passive tackler and loses the collision, Carter is the same and the tackle and in the ruck. Alcock wins the collision by pumping on to the ball (poor man's Hooper) so I disagree on all points.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Such a shame for Hodge but I feel that an enforced break will do him good for next season, he's played a lot of Rugby this year, does anyone know how long he's out for?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The art of subtle...

quade.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We are going to have this going on two threads for sure so apologies for reiterating.

Quade has been treated like shite at the Reds over many years. Thorn is the latest. Quade has actually been amazingly disciplined and restrained. That photo is a very apt description of things in many ways.

He will also bring some considerable interest behind the Rebels. You guys were my "second team" for ages but this fell apart during the shrink to greatness thing.

I'm back. No you don't have to guarantee Quade a starter slot, just having with a chance is all it takes. Genia - Quade. Bring it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.