• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
That's some back line we'll have!!! Cooper has conducted himself amazingly, all things considered, a sign he's matured?

Let's hope so.

The missing piece for the Rebels?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Big call coming up.......

The Rebels in 2019 will assemble the most talented backline since the Brumbies backline of the early 2000s.

Genia, Cooper, Koroibete, To'omua, Hodge, Naivalu, DHP. Maddocks, Meakes, Ruru and English on the bench.

Test capped and talented from top to tail.

Have to be strong favourites for the Aussie conference.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The forward pack will let the Rebels down.
1. Sa'aga 2. Uelese 3. Weeks 4. Jones 5. Coleman 6. Cottrell 7. Hardwick 8. Naisarani
I love the second row and hooker. But I think the props and backrow have the same issue. Great depth of decent players. But decent players don't win championships, none of these players particularly blow me away.

Sa'aga, Weeks, Ainsley, Faulkner, Daley, Talaki are all pretty uninspiring IMO. (though I know Daley did win in '11, he seems to have not really made any progress since).

Same issue with the backrow, a bunch of reliable battlers. They're good players, but RHP, Cottrell, Hardwick do not compare against Pocock, McMahon, Dempsey, Hooper, Tui, Gill, Timu, Samu etc.

Also on a side note: Some reds fans are talking about how they'll switch support to the Rebels now that the messiah has floated south to join the rest of the ex-reds. I've lived in Melbourne and been a Rebels member since their inception, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot shake my support for the reds. It's bizarre. Reds have a completely different roster with different coaches, everything is different from when I signed on except the name yet I still support them... Sports psychology is whack.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m confused, which team has all those internationals in their backrow?

None obviously. I'm pointing out that the Rebels will struggle to go far fielding flankers that don't come close to the top 5 in Australia (let alone the competition).

Same goes for the front row. Great depth of decent players, no world beaters. No Slipper, Tupou, Kepu, AAA, Sio etc. The backline might be immense (as it was last year), but without any secure ball they're not going to do shit.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
None obviously. I'm pointing out that the Rebels will struggle to go far fielding flankers that don't come close to the top 5 in Australia (let alone the competition).

Same goes for the front row. Great depth of decent players, no world beaters. No Slipper, Tupou, Kepu, AAA, Sio etc. The backline might be immense (as it was last year), but without any secure ball they're not going to do shit.

Edit:
In fact the talent is actually pretty well spread regarding backrowers across the other three franchises:
Brumbies - Pocock and Samu
Waratahs - Dempsey and Hooper
Reds - Timu, Tui and I really hope Gill

All those backrows are better by a significant margin

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Edit:
In fact the talent is actually pretty well spread regarding backrowers across the other three franchises:
Brumbies - Pocock and Samu
Waratahs - Dempsey and Hooper
Reds - Timu, Tui and I really hope Gill

All those backrows are better by a significant margin

Naisarani, Hardwick, Cottrell and Jones aren't too shabby. I agree not in the class of a couple of those guys mentioned but surely isn't a weakness.

Locks as well is fairly well covered with Coleman and Philip, Jones will supply a quality backup and RHP is a developing talent.

The front row (minus the hookers) is the worry. Its a combination of talent (Ainsley and Sa'aga) that haven't shown any ability to dominate, some old timers that are very injury prone, and a couple of honest pros.

If the rebels can get parity at scrum they will win a lot of games, but there will be 4/5 teams that will mince the scrum and cause massive issues

If Ainsley and Sa'aga can keep developing then it might be a very good season, but atm its too weak to even contemplate anything more than simply making finals

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same issue with the backrow, a bunch of reliable battlers. They're good players, but RHP, Cottrell, Hardwick do not compare against Pocock, McMahon, Dempsey, Hooper, Tui, Gill, Timu, Samu etc.

Well, they certainly don't compare when you leave out one or two of the actual Rebels starting backrow next year.........

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Ainsley and Sa'aga can keep developing then it might be a very good season, but atm its too weak to even contemplate anything more than simply making finals

Agreed.

Well, they certainly don't compare when you leave out one or two of the actual Rebels starting backrow next year...

I know you Brumbies folk rate Naisarani highly, but the jury is still out for me. I'm happy to be proven wrong and (hope to be), but I rate those backrowers I listed earlier well above Naisarani. I'd be a very happy man if he proved me wrong this season.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Well, they certainly don't compare when you leave out one or two of the actual Rebels starting backrow next year...

Australian rugby has an issue at scrum time, not much depth at all, I think our pack will hold up against any other in the Aus conference. The average age of starting pack is what 23/24? They are only going to get better.

I am much happier with a younger, growing pack and a dynamite back line!

Plus the (possible) highlight reel will bring more fans to the Stockade!!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Confirming the worst-kept secret, ever.

List at 0:24. Mentions Genia in the commentary (Marto, I think). No doubts now :)

Reactions: dru

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Once this mystery player is announced it will take the list to 33.

Rangi and Jefferies not yet re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.