• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If that happened then it is certainly an issue but were they just dismissed by Thorn or given a chance to change?

I am all for firing people for indiscretions, they are pro footballers and need to earn their contracts but it seems that QC (Quade Cooper) has changed and I always wondered if Thorn was thinking about QC (Quade Cooper) 5 years ago when making decisions.

I have always liked the Melbourne Storm approach, it is a full time job as a footballer so you work full time hours. I believe that they work a 9-5 roster when not on game days to stop the ability to get involved in off field drama.

Remember Frisby and Ready last year? That was the warning.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Smith brothers (all three of them if you include George) managed to stay in the good books despite getting on the cans and missing training sessions or punching on with cabbies.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
As a player, Brad achieved everything a person could want playing both Rugby Union and League. However, he's been, in my opinion, gifted coaching roles that he hasn't demonstrated enough for.

I think Stephen Larkham has been gifted far more and been more undeserving of his coaching appointments than Brad Thorn.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
'bout right, KP. Larkham SHOULD do a stint overseas, well away from his father's patronage at ACTRU. Good player 'n' all he was a coupla years experiencing a different perspective are what's required to make a decent rugby coach of young Stephen. His rugby experiences to date are very limited.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
181024-SquadAnnouncement-Backs.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So does that mean Hunt is allowed back in from the wilderness and be selected?

Having Hunt in the backline really adds much needed defensive starch and experience. With his inclusion it actually looks quite formidable:
9.Sorovi 10. Stewart 11. Perese 12. Paia'aua 13. Kerevi 14. Petaia 15. Hunt

I liked what I saw of Daugunu in NRC, so maybe much Paia'aua a super sub and have 11. Perese 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu 15. Hunt

Not 100% happy with Sorovi or Stewart currently, I'm happy with their progress and hopefully where they'll be in the future, but at the moment halves is a weakness. Also what's Kerevi's and Hunt's best positions?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ah to answer my own question:
The 31-year-old utility back remains contracted to the Reds and Rugby Australia next season but didn’t get on the park under zero tolerance coach Brad Thorn this year.
That looks set to continue next season despite the Reds listing the former Wallaby in a squad of 30 players on Wednesday.
Hunt’s inclusion appears to be more of a box ticking exercise and, tellingly, there was no mention of him in the Reds press release.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...kvuJrN_Rrfx6hPuzLSeNH7yFO1qw5ODQ2snUIs5Na1Txw

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So my backline is: 9. Sorovi 10. Stewart 11. Perese 12. Paia'aua 13. Kerevi 14. Daugunu 15. Petaia

That backline can still be very dangerous if everything goes right....

B

Bobby Sands

Interesting that they have outlined that the signing will be a center and a flyhalf. Would suggest they already have their man.

My gut tells me Tasi will be the center.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Harris would slot in as a good backup covering both of those spots and an experienced head to have around. Gives more room for the other to be less experienced but promising talent, possibly someone who's an option at fullback.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone know what’s happening with Perese? If he’s going to be shunned due to the rumors of him heading to the nrl, it could mean with Hunt there as well, 2 spots that won’t be used all season

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know what’s happening with Perese? If he’s going to be shunned due to the rumors of him heading to the nrl, it could mean with Hunt there as well, 2 spots that won’t be used all season

who has said he's going to be shunned? I mean other than you.