• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Sat 27th October 4.45pm AEDT, Nissan Stadium, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
The team selection almost looks like Cheika has accepted the match is lost and there is no point exposing any new players to the demoralizing shit show that is the Bledisloe.

If that's the case he should just go nuts. Pick Michael Hooper at outside centre. Start DHP at flyhalf and play Kepu on the wing. The only limit is Cheika's imagination!

Sure, we'd get thrashed but at least it would entertain whoever bothers to show up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If that's the case he should just go nuts. Pick Michael Hooper at outside centre. Start DHP at flyhalf and play Kepu on the wing. The only limit is Cheika's imagination!

Sure, we'd get thrashed but at least it would entertain whoever bothers to show up.
Hooper would probably go alright at 13 eh.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Hooper would probably go alright at 13 eh.

Seriously, I've heard people talking about Hooper really being a centre for pretty much as long as I can remember, but the only time he actually played there (as an injury replacement in a B&I Lions test) it was a disaster.

On a related topic, when was the last time a Wallabies side was selected where the entire backline actually defended in the same position they started? Because also as long as I can remember, we've had flyhalves who've had to defend at fullback, 13's who've had to defend on the wing, scrumhalves who've had to defend at fullback ... no wonder we leak tries like a sieve.

Or do the other countries do this to the same extent as Australia?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Seriously, I've heard people talking about Hooper really being a centre for pretty much as long as I can remember, but the only time he actually played there (as an injury replacement in a B&I Lions test) it was a disaster.

On a related topic, when was the last time a Wallabies side was selected where the entire backline actually defended in the same position they started? Because also as long as I can remember, we've had flyhalves who've had to defend at fullback, 13's who've had to defend on the wing, scrumhalves who've had to defend at fullback . no wonder we leak tries like a sieve.

Or do the other countries do this to the same extent as Australia?
Most 10s, besides Farrell, get hidden at least.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is a bizarre line.

By this logic the sell out 21,000 crowd at Nelson is a better financial result than a 40k crowd that only fills 55% of the stadium's capacity.

That probably would be true. All about % return. Bigger stadiums have bigger costs, need a certain % capacity to cover those costs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ignoring the fact that the JRFU paid them to host the game so NZRU aren't taking the financial risk, I don't think any stadium in the world would have costs so high that an extra 19,000 paying customers didn't result in a greater financial return.

40k is a bigger crowd than can fit in any NZ stadium except Eden Park.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just spent the day chasing my 18 month old around Thomas the Tank Engine Land in the foothills of Mt Fuji. Now time to refocus on the more serious business tomorrow. Bit disappointing that crowd might be well below a sell out. But tickets aren't cheap either. Ours are Category B that cost about $250AUD. I think Cat A was more around the $375 mark so probably doing ok financially out of it.

Now just a Wallabies miracle win. Meant to be a bit of rain around tomorrow but more in the morning and then clear for the match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Most 10s, besides Farrell, get hidden at least.

If you want someone fresh to attack it is not unreasonable to lower their defensive responsibilities. After first phase it is pretty fluid anyway.

But then the attacking team should be seeking out their prime attackers and making them enjoy the bottom of as many rucks as possible

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I generally don't like the term 'being hidden'. The rationale behind these systems is to capitalise on a player's strengths and limit the exposure to his weaknesses. So whilst it's true that a 10 may be moved to the wing in some defensive set ups because he ain't a great defender, it's also true that the player being brought into the front line is there because he's a strong defender.

It's not just us that employs these systems, but Grey's setups are next level and often over complicated.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I generally don't like the term 'being hidden'. The rationale behind these systems is to capitalise on a player's strengths and limit the exposure to his weaknesses. So whilst it's true that a 10 may be moved to the wing in some defensive set ups because he ain't a great defender, it's also true that the player being brought into the front line is there because he's a strong defender.

It's not just us that employs these systems, but Grey's setups are next level and often over complicated.

That is very true I think KOB, used to reckon that when people said it about QC (Quade Cooper), is he better at 10 in defence or back where he can use hi strengths to launch counter attack. Most 10s are not as bad as we think in defence just bloody good on attack BB for the ABs is a great case, he can tackle etc ok, but he bloody great at dropping back to start a counter off a kicked ball!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is very true I think KOB, used to reckon that when people said it about QC (Quade Cooper), is he better at 10 in defence or back where he can use hi strengths to launch counter attack. Most 10s are not as bad as we think in defence just bloody good on attack BB for the ABs is a great case, he can tackle etc ok, but he bloody great at dropping back to start a counter off a kicked ball!!

As long as when they are called on to defend they put in and bend their backs - I hate arm grabbers

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

Complexity is the enemy of execution.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I'm not concerned if you swap your 10 and winger in defence. The problem is that half the backline seems to get moved to the wing and Marika is left galloping from one side of the field to the other trying to fill in three positions at once. He was so much better against Ireland when he only had to aim up on the man in front of him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm not concerned if you swap your 10 and winger in defence. The problem is that half the backline seems to get moved to the wing and Marika is left galloping from one side of the field to the other trying to fill in three positions at once. He was so much better against Ireland when he only had to aim up on the man in front of him.

Agree completely. I don't mind Beale being swapped around for Hooper either so that he's up the back for a counter but anything beyond that is over complicating things.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As long as when they are called on to defend they put in and bend their backs - I hate arm grabbers

Unless it's Ray Price grabbing Ian Kirkpatrick's fend and executing a perfect Cumberland throw. I was there that day, one of the few advantages of being ancient.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Cruden was a good defending 10, so was Lord DC, BB is OK but not at their same level, oz wise yeah they haven't had a good defending 10 for over 15 years, last was surely Elton Flatley.. i also noticed that about marika being forced to run across more times than any other player, Foley defence can't be that bad?..

If Rieko was forced to run across the field everytime on defence to cover his 10 or 12, he would not be scoring many tries, maybe its the reason why Marika doesn't get many 5 pointers and rieko does.. this is where the AB's are doing better than Australia, they work on their defense more than their attack though it also means their attacking wingers may not get enough ball sometimes and if they do , they usually go left thus why Left wingers generally score more tries than right wingers..

Status
Not open for further replies.