• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What I find most interesting is the Hawaii group already being committed and Malaysia being on board. Not a surprise on either as the Hawaii group have been looking at getting involved in Rugby for some time. But Malaysia entering in 2019 is. From memory they are working to get professional structures up domestically and at least for a time had backing from a local billionaire.
The backing from the billionaire for Malaysia is only reason why it could possibly succeed in Malaysia at this point but equally a very good reason to let them jump the queue as will take deep pockets for tier 2 minnows to develop, grow and succeed (and pay for the marketing and quality of marquees they will need to bring in).

Wonder if they have a billionaire behind Singapore as for me they are the other one where they may find it hard to attract the crowds and quality of players without some decent backing for marketing and marquee players to sign up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If you remember Hore's comment was that his preference was no Western Sydney team before 2021.
2021 - I can't believe Hore said that - with AFL and NRL already in Western Sydney and growing their footprint if he leaves it until 2021 it will be game over. Gees Hore is really beginning to make me think he is wrong man for the job for NSW rugby.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wonder why they didn't go back to the Indo-Pac Rugby name? Global Rapid Rugby actually sounds very Japanese though.

Not too keen on the UAE side, with the longitudinal differences, will run into the same problem as Super Rugby; but I suppose money talks (isn't that right, FIFA?) Are they going to bring back the old Arabian Gulf Rugby XV? Hey, with that timezone stretch, at least they could bring in the Mighty Malagasy Maki now!!!

As for rule changes, what about something to encourage players to stay on their feet in the tackle and keep driving onwards to draw in the opposing defenders? Then they can run in longer range tries with all the space out wide, you know, like rugby used to be?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wonder why they didn't go back to the Indo-Pac Rugby name? Global Rapid Rugby actually sounds very Japanese though.

Not too keen on the UAE side, with the longitudinal differences, will run into the same problem as Super Rugby; but I suppose money talks (isn't that right, FIFA?) Are they going to bring back the old Arabian Gulf Rugby XV? Hey, with that timezone stretch, at least they could bring in the Mighty Malagasy Maki now!!!

As for rule changes, what about something to encourage players to stay on their feet in the tackle and keep driving onwards to draw in the opposing defenders? Then they can run in longer range tries with all the space out wide, you know, like rugby used to be?

I'd be willing to bet they'd be looking at The 7s in Dubai as the location and looking to leverage the large expat communities that exist there. The interesting ones for me are both India and China.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
2021 - I can't believe Hore said that - with AFL and NRL already in Western Sydney and growing their footprint if he leaves it until 2021 it will be game over. Gees Hore is really beginning to make me think he is wrong man for the job for NSW rugby.

Hore would have said that because that is exactly the time frame when the SFS will be being rebuilt and the Tahs will be play a number of games out of the new Parramatta Stadium. Can easy deduce from this that once they are back in cosy Moore Park, they won’t give two hoots about the West.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If you remember Hore's comment was that his preference was no Western Sydney team before 2021.

He's a plant! It's one of those old wrestling storylines! He's workin' with the heels!

DzGE.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hore would have said that because that is exactly the time frame when the SFS will be being rebuilt and the Tahs will be play a number of games out of the new Parramatta Stadium. Can easy deduce from this that once they are back in cosy Moore Park, they won’t give two hoots about the West.
hmmm I wonder how much this is protecting the tahs who are wandering hillbies till 2021 which yes would make them vunerable to lose supporters to Western Sydney team based out of permanent home.

My bet this is linked to Hore's decision.....

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If WSR is effectively a tier lower than Super Rugby.
Why then don't they let the Warratahs run a second team in the WSR comp? Let's call them the NSW Platypi (NSW state animal - for anyone who didn't know) playing out of Western Sydney.

Players could be promoted and relegated between the 2 comps. The 2 teams work together and not in competition and a threat to each other. Resources pooled, teams train together. More opportunity for players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Why then don't they let the Warratahs run a second team in the WSR comp? Let's call them the NSW Platypi (NSW state animal - for anyone who didn't know) playing out of Western Sydney.

Players could be promoted and relegated between the 2 comps. The 2 teams work together and not in competition and a threat to each other. Resources pooled, teams train together. More opportunity for players.

Nice in theory, but I doubt the Waratahs/NSWRU have the finances to run a second team themselves. Given the attitude they've shown towards the NRC in the past I also doubt whether they'd be interested

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I suspect that the platypuses (sorry) west of the great dividing range out of Sydney are having a tough time right now. And on the east side is pretty quiet (and also drought effected).

BUT

Nice in theory, but I doubt the Waratahs/NSWRU have the finances to run a second team themselves. Given the attitude they've shown towards the NRC in the past I also doubt whether they'd be interested

They don't need to be interested, they simply need to permit.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I assumed Twiggy was going to fund the Western Sydney team. Wouldn't cost the Tahs.
Everyone benefits by that model
Depending on who the WS team sign, the Tahs lose out through more competition for pro level players in Sydney.

SS teams lose their best players too.

Very short sighted reasons to oppose, but probably rational ones, at least in the short term (which might be all the Tahs have)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I assumed Twiggy was going to fund the Western Sydney team. Wouldn't cost the Tahs.
Everyone benefits by that model

Pretty much this.

To be slightly pedantic, my understanding was that local NSW rugby magnates (is that the right term?) were going to fund the side.

Ah, well - it's probably for the best that Western Sydney don't get a pro team. Can't have them getting above their station.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ranked number 47 in the world, recently beaten by Hong Kong 91-10.

Amazing.

I s'pose that loss is something like the Wallabies 8:53 loss to Sth Africa in 2008 or the recent 24:53 loss to Scotland.
As our Super Rugby teams have shown over the years - blow-outs happen.

The score against Hong Kong indicates why World Rugby is supportive of the game being developed in this region?

That's why the short-med term plan is for GRR to provide up to 3 marque players for each team and each team is permitted to recruit top players to boost local talent in positions where the skills are currently not evident.

That's why each team in GRR HAS to develop grass roots support and development from RugbyRoos through academies and assistance in growing the game in countries involved with helping to develop coaches, referees and administrators. The professional players involved have to commit to the same 350 hrs of community rugby involvement - as the Western Force players have provided in Perth during the past year.

Some people call what's planned unwarranted stupidy - other call it commitment, to push on through adversity and challenges, and vision (backed by $$ to help Make It Happen).