• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting from media watch today...

Whats interesting to me with rugby the article says they have rugby as a sport, is this a way to get some new folk. I have left most of the article out as it talks about the Chinese Super League. These people seem impressive.

https://mediaweek.com.au/ovo-mobile-to-bring-chinese-super-league-to-australia/

OVO’s three-year deal with the 16-team Ping An Chinese Super League (CSL) covers all digital and mobile channels.

OVO Mobile has entered into an digital broadcast partnership to bring the Chinese Super League football to Australia.

OVO’s three-year deal with the 16-team Ping An Chinese Super League (CSL) covers all digital and mobile channels and will see all matches aired live on OVOPlay and other OVO channels each season.

All content, which will also include a weekly 30-minute magazine show and highlight clips, will be broadcast with commentary available in English and Mandarin. To mark the launch of CSL in Australia, OVO will provide free-to-stream access to the 2018 season

OVO is building on its audience in Australia and overseas for sport content, which includes drag racing, rugby, badminton, water polo, gymnastics and esports.

“We’ve had more than two million views of content on OVO channels in the past twelve months,” said founder and CEO Matt Jones. “Our audience growth is exponential, and major sporting organisations are starting to take notice.

The OVO app can be downloaded for iOS and Android, and OVO’s sport content can also be watched online at play.ovo.com.au.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting from media watch today.

Whats interesting to me with rugby the article says they have rugby as a sport, is this a way to get some new folk. I have left most of the article out as it talks about the Chinese Super League. These people seem impressive.

OVO’s three-year deal with the 16-team Ping An Chinese Super League (CSL) covers all digital and mobile channels.

OVO Mobile has entered into an digital broadcast partnership to bring the Chinese Super League football to Australia.

OVO’s three-year deal with the 16-team Ping An Chinese Super League (CSL) covers all digital and mobile channels and will see all matches aired live on OVOPlay and other OVO channels each season.

All content, which will also include a weekly 30-minute magazine show and highlight clips, will be broadcast with commentary available in English and Mandarin. To mark the launch of CSL in Australia, OVO will provide free-to-stream access to the 2018 season

OVO is building on its audience in Australia and overseas for sport content, which includes drag racing, rugby, badminton, water polo, gymnastics and esports.

“We’ve had more than two million views of content on OVO channels in the past twelve months,” said founder and CEO Matt Jones. “Our audience growth is exponential, and major sporting organisations are starting to take notice.

The OVO app can be downloaded for iOS and Android, and OVO’s sport content can also be watched online at play.ovo.com.au.

Further to this, I can confirm that OVO sponsored the Australian Water Polo League in 2018 (a national club competition with 12 mens and 12 womens teams from all states except Tasmania)

https://www.waterpoloaustralia.com.au/wpal-events/ovo-awl/

https://ovo.com.au/partners-waterpolo

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting from media watch today.

OVO produced the John Dent coverage if I'm correct.

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeh could be good, definitely the way forward anyway.

Interesting to see its owned by FoxSports, i wonder why they didn't carry the name over

Owned by. Rather is Foxsports. They've been talking about their intent on launching such a service and this is it from the looks of it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Has live and on demand streaming as well as access to the standard live channels offered over on Foxtel/Now. Yep. I think I might be cancelling my Foxtel Now subscription.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This has just been released - www.kayosports.com.au

Might open the door for Super Rugby viewers
Screenshot_20181108-170345~2.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's brilliant, what I've been waiting for. I might finally have to put my pirate hat away. Is there any news about international rugby aside from Super? (Internationals, Top 14, Aviva etc).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's brilliant, what I've been waiting for. I might finally have to put my pirate hat away. Is there any news about international rugby aside from Super? (Internationals, Top 14, Aviva etc).

International and I've seen Premiership Rugby on it. You also get access to the live sports channels which have Top 14 via BeIn Sports.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
International and I've seen Premiership Rugby on it. You also get access to the live sports channels which have Top 14 via BeIn Sports.

So what's the catch, this seems perfect no? I have no idea comparison wise, but is $25 pm expensive, it's about half the price of the most basic foxtel no?
$300 a year to watch all rugby in HD where ever I am seems ideal.

Then the other question is why have they taken so long to do it and why are they doing it now?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So what's the catch, this seems perfect no? I have no idea comparison wise, but is $25 pm expensive, it's about half the price of the most basic foxtel no?
$300 a year to watch all rugby in HD where ever I am seems ideal.

Then the other question is why have they taken so long to do it and why are they doing it now?

Whether its expensive or not depends on your sporting preferences. For my it's pretty good value in terms of being able to watch Rugby, Cricket, American Football, Ice Hockey etc. It's also no lock in so that's even better. You can come and go as you please.

It's not ideal yet in terms of offering. It's still a beta after all. Their archive games could do with more depth but I'm watching a AF game on it right now and it is streaming nicely. And its quite functional to use.

As to why now and not 3 years ago. Live streaming requires different specs than streaming from a service such as Netflix. And for all the issues with the NBN the market now has the capacity to support it. So. It looks like a good effort to start and should improve as it develops.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well, the obvious advantage of this is the removal of the need to bundle it with other packages.

That's why it isn't carrying thd Foxtel name. They want to differentiate this offering to Foxtel now. That way they keep the Foxtel now people if they are happy with their bundle. And market this to a new audience.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's why it isn't carrying thd Foxtel name. They want to differentiate this offering to Foxtel now. That way they keep the Foxtel now people if they are happy with their bundle. And market this to a new audience.

Pretty much. If they can get the package right they could essentially finally achieve the levels of market penetration they've coveted for some time now.