• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Brazil fell 35-3 to the Maori. Which is a pretty good result and not as reflective of how competitive they actually were.
Brett Gosper tweeted this photo of the crowd
1AFF4150-3628-49DF-95D6-2676953E3FCD.jpeg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Brett Gosper tweeted this photo of the crowdView attachment 10352

The crowd was a bit lower than they had been hoping for mainly down to the weather but they still got a tad over 34k in attendance. Far and away the largest crowd they've managed so far. I've had it confirmed that the Chile game next week is officially sold out. Nowhere as big of a stadium but all 14k sold it an achievement in itself. Nice looking stadium which should deliver a nice atmosphere. Estadio San Carlos.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Canada beat Kenya 65-17
Germany beat Hong Kong 26-9

As I predicted , Germany “upset” Hong Kong however I made this call when looking at the lead in form in the previous games , and factor in the travel and this is the result . Canada Germany is goung to be a cracker .

dru

Tim Horan (67)
AT the end of a news conference in Darwin tonight Prime Minister of Japan and Australia traded national rugby jersies with "Scomo" on the back of the Blossum's jersy and "Shinzo" on the back of the Wallaby jersy - one of the indiginous inspired designs.

I like it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Spain beat Namibia 31-13 in Madrid. Which should be setting off alarm bells for the RWC. Namibia copped a beating by Russia last weekend and while showing more starch in this game never looked like pushing Spain a team that missed out of the RWC.

The USA comfortably beat Romania in Bucharest 31-5. This will see the US reach an all time rankings high of 13th in the world. It's also their 9th straight win in Test Rugby. Though with Ireland in Dublin coming up that's likely to change but even with a loss as long as its not too heavy and if Tonga lose they'll finish the year in 12th.

Canada are in the box seat for qualification after defeating Germany 29-10. They had to work for it though. Germany really showed up. HK overcame Kenya 42-17.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Spain beat Namibia 31-13 in Madrid. Which should be setting off alarm bells for the RWC. Namibia copped a beating by Russia last weekend and while showing more starch in this game never looked like pushing Spain a team that missed out of the RWC.

The USA comfortably beat Romania in Bucharest 31-5. This will see the US reach an all time rankings high of 13th in the world. It's also their 9th straight win in Test Rugby. Though with Ireland in Dublin coming up that's likely to change but even with a loss as long as its not too heavy and if Tonga lose they'll finish the year in 12th.

Canada are in the box seat for qualification after defeating Germany 29-10. They had to work for it though. Germany really showed up. HK overcame Kenya 42-17.
A few more

Fiji comfortably beat Uruguay. Which is a set back for them, not the loss but the manner of the loss

Georgia beat Samoa

NZ Maori beat Chile and a South American select beat Paraguay

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope Namibia have a few of their better players missing on this tour because those results are pretty worrying. I thought the days of seeing 100+ on the scoreboard at the world cup were over, but they're in the All Blacks pool next year.

I'm surprised Uruguay got hammered so badly by Fiji, but I guess Fiji are the sort of team that when things start going well for them they can score tries very quickly and from anywhere. Other results over the last few years indicate that Uruguay have improved a fair bit since 2015 (when almost all their players were amateur), so hopefully it's a bit of an anomaly.

I'm very interested to see how the US go against Ireland next weekend. Hopefully they can be as competitive as Japan were against England. Though I suspect they're still a little below Japan's level.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope Namibia have a few of their better players missing on this tour because those results are pretty worrying. I thought the days of seeing 100+ on the scoreboard at the world cup were over, but they're in the All Blacks pool next year.

I'm surprised Uruguay got hammered so badly by Fiji, but I guess Fiji are the sort of team that when things start going well for them they can score tries very quickly and from anywhere. Other results over the last few years indicate that Uruguay have improved a fair bit since 2015 (when almost all their players were amateur), so hopefully it's a bit of an anomaly.

I'm very interested to see how the US go against Ireland next weekend. Hopefully they can be as competitive as Japan were against England. Though I suspect they're still a little below Japan's level.

In recent clashes there's been very little between Japan and the US. I actually think it would be a good test of where the US currently sits in relation to their development playing Japan. The big difference with the Eagles this season has been the advent of MLR. It has allowed their best to dedicate themselves to the game both on and off the field. Which means they have never been better prepared than they are at present. Next year will be the first 'full' season of MLR. Each team will play 16 games over 17 weeks plus finals. So they should be even better prepared going into the RWC especially as there is a concerted effort across the league to lift the playing standard to another level in season 2.

I suspect Japan are further down the road than the US but it's encouraging to see real progress from both nations. I don't know if this World League concept will ever actually see the light of day but if Japan can make the quarter finals which isn't as far fetched as some may believe and the US can finish in the top 12 and automatically qualify for 2023 then SANZAAR should seriously look at both for TRC in the near future.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Scotland did a very good job of keeping the Fiji in check last weekend. If they hadn't as you say, Fiji are a team that are well capable of getting on a roll that makes them as competitive as anyone. Uruguay failed to shut that down and copped a beating thanks to that. Uruguay were missing a few but not enough to excuse the loss. Fortunately they'll have a bunch of guys playing professionally in MLR on 2019 so should be better off for it in 2019. And Uruguay are a funny team as well. When they show up the really show up. When they don't. Well..........

Namibia are in real trouble. They don't have enough talent not involved in these games to have made much of a difference. Neither loss is surprising. Russia has been improving domestically over the past few years. There's a real push for stability and growth in teams and visibility of their domestic league and its starting to pay dividends. Russia lost to the Dragons on the weekend but observers mention that Russia were the more skillful team and the Dragons had to keep it in tight to get the win. And the consensus is the score flattered the Dragons. Russia were playing a experimental pack in the game as well.

Spain has been moving forward for some time. They've been growing domestically quite well and their domestic league is moving closer and closer to professionalism season on season.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect Japan are further down the road than the US but it's encouraging to see real progress from both nations. I don't know if this World League concept will ever actually see the light of day but if Japan can make the quarter finals which isn't as far fetched as some may believe and the US can finish in the top 12 and automatically qualify for 2023 then SANZAAR should seriously look at both for TRC in the near future.

It feels like there's a growing sort of tier 1.5. They have some tier 1 level star players, high enough participation levels and a professional domestic base creating depth. Just not quite at the level of the tier 1 teams, but certainly above where the tier 2 teams have been in recent years. Italy and Japan are definitely in this group and now probably the US and even Fiji. This group should grow quite a bit over the next few years too with all the new professional leagues that have started or are about to start.

Hopefully at least some of these teams do advance into genuine and consistent tier 1 test sides. But we've seen with Italy that it's hard to do.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fiji will struggle unless it has a "tier 1" economy. The financial incentives for young players to play offshore are hard to resist.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It feels like there's a growing sort of tier 1.5. They have some tier 1 level star players, high enough participation levels and a professional domestic base creating depth. Just not quite at the level of the tier 1 teams, but certainly above where the tier 2 teams have been in recent years. Italy and Japan are definitely in this group and now probably the US and even Fiji. This group should grow quite a bit over the next few years too with all the new professional leagues that have started or are about to start.

Hopefully at least some of these teams do advance into genuine and consistent tier 1 test sides. But we've seen with Italy that it's hard to do.

Yeah. It will be interesting to see how things move forward with several nations. If both Russia and Spain can maintain their forward momentum they have the opportunity to join that grouping. You have Georgia who are already there. With MLR the US should cement their spot and Canada should see their current struggles begin to turn around.

GRR and the Fijian and Samoan inclusion will help both nations. Would love for Fiji to remain in the NRC and be joined by the Samoans. Could also in time help Japan.

The LSR will do a great deal for Uruguay and Brazil. Should help Chile along as well. They've needed a HP program for some time.

With these leagues we could have a relatively competitive top 25 or so nations in the next decade or so which would be amazing. It would still be two tiered. To think otherwise is fantasy but if team say 13-25 can put in good showings against 1-12 that's progress.

What is needed is another European league featuring teams from the likes of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. They did have a Cup competition that sort of fizzled in the North Sea Cup but it wasn't ever designed to be a professional competition. The Dutch and Belgians are flirting with setting something up in the future via the BeNe Cup launched this year but that's more of a slow burn.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fiji will struggle unless it has a "tier 1" economy. The financial incentives for young players to play offshore are hard to resist.

Yes and no. Having a Fijian side in GRR will make earning a living from the game without having to move halfway across the world a fairly tempting option. Also having a league in the region that doesn't restrict players movement along national eligibility also allows for these players to stay relatively close (comparatively) to home.

What really ensures longevity at a high level is the establishment of pathways which have traditionally been missing in Fijian Rugby. They have them now. Having a T1 economy really isn't the biggest defining factor.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So the mooted availability of 20 or so pro contracts will make all the difference? What about all the other young players who do not have local contracts? Fiji's GDP per capita is about an eighth of ours, by the way.

Not much spare money for sporting facilities, and all the other advantages that Tier one nationsl enjoy.