• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Twiggys sensationalism is really turning me off the competition, I understand he needs to sell the comp to people but I read a quote on a fox sports article today with him saying “people are saying wsr was the best footy they’ve ever seen”, just utter bullshit and makes me not want to watch it

It was probably the folks who went to the Wild Knights game who said that

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
How about just appreciate it for what it is - someone willing to invest in making high class rugby available in this region. As for the "bullshit" - I went to the Wild Knights game and it was some of the best rugby I've seen live, ever. Certainly far more enjoyable than the other rugby I've watched this year. I appreciate having the opportunity to see great rugby for a great price, and came away feeling positive about the future. What's bad about that?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I cannot understand how anyone is negative about this. There is no right way way to do this as its never been done before. Everyone is in agreement about RA being Eastern Sydney-centric and someone comes out and completely shakes things up with their own cash and people are giving him sh!t because its not the way rugby does things.

This has been the only positive news headline in Union in Australia since the RWC15 semi-final

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How about just appreciate it for what it is - someone willing to invest in making high class rugby available in this region. As for the "bullshit" - I went to the Wild Knights game and it was some of the best rugby I've seen live, ever. Certainly far more enjoyable than the other rugby I've watched this year. I appreciate having the opportunity to see great rugby for a great price, and came away feeling positive about the future. What's bad about that?

Nix

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

Let me make this abundantly clear, I’m not against this comp in the slightest I’m very keen for it to go ahead however that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical about aspects of it.

As for it being the best rugby you’ve seen live, either you’re talking about the game day experience as a whole which it seems like you might be which is fine but not what twiggy was talking about in his quote I was discussing or alternatively you just haven’t been to many footy games in your life, I could’ve picked 5 NPC games this year that we’re better than that game.

I’m unsure of how the rule changes will go but meh give them a crack and see what happens

Sensationalising without backing it up to any great extent “we have 20 (or however many he said) of the best players in the world only lists a few very obvious ones cause of Japanese connections, then goes can’t tell you any of more but you’ll just have to take my word for it. Then drops Jeremy thrushes name as an example like fml cmon if you can’t say anything lip up until you can

Like someone outlined earlier BBL was done really professionally when being set up, names and teams were released in tandem and well in advance etc there wasn’t any grandstanding about it before it happened. We are VERY close to the start of this competition and know very very little do you think that is good in terms of promotion and marketing for the game??

But no that’s fine stay in your safe space and say nothing but good things because it makes you warm and fuzzy on the inside

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Let me make this abundantly clear, I’m not against this comp in the slightest I’m very keen for it to go ahead however that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical about aspects of it.

As for it being the best rugby you’ve seen live, either you’re talking about the game day experience as a whole which it seems like you might be which is fine but not what twiggy was talking about in his quote I was discussing or alternatively you just haven’t been to many footy games in your life, I could’ve picked 5 NPC games this year that we’re better than that game.

I’m unsure of how the rule changes will go but meh give them a crack and see what happens

Sensationalising without backing it up to any great extent “we have 20 (or however many he said) of the best players in the world only lists a few very obvious ones cause of Japanese connections, then goes can’t tell you any of more but you’ll just have to take my word for it. Then drops Jeremy thrushes name as an example like fml cmon if you can’t say anything lip up until you can

Like someone outlined earlier BBL was done really professionally when being set up, names and teams were released in tandem and well in advance etc there wasn’t any grandstanding about it before it happened. We are VERY close to the start of this competition and know very very little do you think that is good in terms of promotion and marketing for the game??

But no that’s fine stay in your safe space and say nothing but good things because it makes you warm and fuzzy on the inside

To be fair a lot the delays have been down to Rugby authorities but I do get what you're saying. I'm happy for Forrest to give this a go and hope its a success. I hope it grows and we get to see the mooted WS team as I know when that happens I'll be supporting it in the competition.

The lack of promotion outside of Forrest isn't great and it probably explains his sensationalism somewhat. Without a marketing campaign he's taking it upon himself to get some buzz about the competition out and about. It helps that he loves a bit of self promotion and this also gives him plenty of that.

But regarding promotion. It's November and we know Super Rugby will be kicking off at the same time and while we have a schedule released there's been jack all promotion as well. And history suggests what promotion we see will be minimal. So it's hard to be overly critical on the promotion side of the equation.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
But regarding promotion. It's November and we know Super Rugby will be kicking off at the same time and while we have a schedule released there's been jack all promotion as well. And history suggests what promotion we see will be minimal. So it's hard to be overly critical on the promotion side of the equation.

That’s true but I’d see super rugby as a template of what not to do. Also it’s a new competition there’s no rusted on supporter base like super rugby has

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I cannot understand how anyone is negative about this. There is no right way way to do this as its never been done before. Everyone is in agreement about RA being Eastern Sydney-centric and someone comes out and completely shakes things up with their own cash and people are giving him sh!t because its not the way rugby does things.

This has been the only positive news headline in Union in Australia since the RWC15 semi-final

it's happened plenty of times before. World Series Cricket is the most relevant I reckon. As I've said before their success was build on signing the best players early. GRR need to do that damn soon.

As for the Wild Knights game being top rugby, it was indeed a lot of fun. As most the WSR games were.

I do wonder how much the $1M prize money might impact a team's willingness to throw the ball around in a match as compared to the 7 'meaningless' games this year.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
it's happened plenty of times before. World Series Cricket is the most relevant I reckon. As I've said before their success was build on signing the best players early. GRR need to do that damn soon.

As for the Wild Knights game being top rugby, it was indeed a lot of fun. As most the WSR games were.

I do wonder how much the $1M prize money might impact a team's willingness to throw the ball around in a match as compared to the 7 'meaningless' games this year.

Sorry i meant with rugby. Agreed big names will go a long way - what the tens tried to do with the marquee player.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How many players are going to be available to sign a contract and play in February? With all of the other comps running it's going to be next year where we start to see the big names isn't it?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many players are going to be available to sign a contract and play in February? With all of the other comps running it's going to be next year where we start to see the big names isn't it?

yeah I suspect legit signings will be pretty thin on the ground for next year but I think there will be legitimate opportunities for big names come 2020.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

I’m surprised they didn’t hold off the start of the comp till 2020

Also a little surprised there’s no obvious league recruits, especially with the emphasis on running rugby etc. someone like Matt dufty from the dragons who has been left in limbo a bit with contract negotiations, has speed to burn and has played a bit of rugby as a junior

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've really only just got around to reading the press release..........

There are some Trump levels of spin to cut through, but my only real criticism would be the proposed rule changes.......... it runs the risk of turning it into a novelty sideshow.

I'm guessing they would be targeting the foreign players in the Japanese league, otherwise there'll be slim pickings prior to the RWC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This is your yardstick and that's great.

I don't think there's such a need.

The million bucks is awesome.

This ain't tennis or golf, though, where one name takes it all; the problem with a game like rugby is there's so many mouths to feed.

By the time it's divvied up, it'll be like 30 grand a share if you're lucky.

A great top-up for 4-6 months work … but don't give up the day job.

Correctamundo